New Continental 5000s tires - the CLINCHER (not TL) thread

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
1415chris
Posts: 1273
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Surrey UK

by 1415chris

Not only that. Squaring pace and wooden feel (GP4k).

by Weenie


RocketRacing
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 2:43 am

by RocketRacing

zefs wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:52 pm
Continental Grand Prix 5000 Endurance Test
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... rance-test
Very cool. Mine have gone from 25mm on the nose to 25.8mm. May still opt for 23c up front.

The loss of rolling resistance makes sence from what i know of performance car tires. Soft/supple rubber compounds all eventually harden. That will hurt crr.

Marin
Posts: 3466
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:48 am
Location: Vienna Austria

by Marin

Up to now, most tests have show *lower* RR for worn tires, so the 5k is somehow different.

zefs
Posts: 432
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:40 pm

by zefs

Marin wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:30 am
Up to now, most tests have show *lower* RR for worn tires, so the 5k is somehow different.
GP4000S2 was also higher rolling resistance, but on lower pressures. But it's normal I think since the "fast" compounds get worn out over time.

Hexsense
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

Marin wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:30 am
Up to now, most tests have show *lower* RR for worn tires, so the 5k is somehow different.
It isn't general trend, isn't it?
While Aerodynamic of the tire degrade from new to old uniformly,
RR fructuate throughout the life of the tire.
First slippery mold release got worn out, higher RR but also better grip.
Then tire stretch a bit wider -> lower RR.
Then tire got harden, some tire compose of multiple rubble type, the center fast rolling got worn out, more of grippier compound on the side is in contact to the ground increase RR, etc.

It's hard to tell how the RR will be at any worn stage.

Hexsense
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

dorin wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:39 pm
For the first time I had a crash due to skidding tires, GP5000, ok I was fast, about 45km/hr in a 180 curve, when I leaned to take the curve the bike flew from under me. Not saying is the gp’s fault only, but I don’t think I was way faster than normal
This thing grip just 'fine' but not better than previous conti tires. My opinion from page two of this thread doesn't change. It only being more confirmed after i use it for longer time.
Hexsense wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:08 am
Not sure if it's placebo or anything, but my rear tire GP5000 slip a little bit more often than GP Force III i used before...
Any verification that their grip is not worse than GP4000sII ?
Maybe i'm lucky, every time it slip, it is for very brief moment and quickly recover. I still haven't fall due to lose of grip yet. This is now the tire for everything except rain or crit for me now. If hard corner involved, i'll try Vittoria Corsa G2.0 to see if it perform better.

User avatar
Junior Varsity
in the industry
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 2:08 am
Location: 35,000' | 11,0668m

by Junior Varsity

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:59 pm
Despite what’s been reported on BRR, I believe the TL and non-TL are sized the same. There’s no reason for Conti to size them differently. If you take a digital caliper and take five width measurements on the same tire they will vary slightly. They could vary close to a single mm based on my experience. BRR also round up and down to the nearest 1mm.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't be so sure. The average tubeless ready rim spec'd OEM and sold into the replacement market is wider than the average tube type clincher rim. I know we look at it differently....
Doing bike things.

STRAVA
INSTAGRAM

dorin
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:21 pm

by dorin

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:17 am
dorin wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:39 pm
For the first time I had a crash due to skidding tires, GP5000, ok I was fast, about 45km/hr in a 180 curve, when I leaned to take the curve the bike flew from under me. Not saying is the gp’s fault only, but I don’t think I was way faster than normal, could also have been dirty road, Dolomites, Sud Tirol. And had two punctures on Tubolito tubes (used them first each of them in this combination), so i’d Say normal, but not “oh my, bomb proof”

I've been saying all along in the tubeless GP5K thread (why are there even two threads?) that the grip isn't stellar. Average at best, probably slightly worse than Hutchinson Fusion 5s...maybe equal to Schwalbe Pro Ones. If you want a noticeable improvement in grip, go with the Corsa G2.0s.
I installed last night the Corsa g 2.0, I didn't pay attention to tech data before order, min 87psi?!? Their recommended pressure on my setup is 135 and 130 psi, the zipp nsw doesn’t agree anything above 125...I went with 108 rear and 100 front (7.5 and 7 bar).
They do look spectacular but let’s see how they perform a 100km ride today, they do feel rock hard, gone is the comfort of 65psi...I enjoy high speed descends the thought of poor grip freaks me out, I was lucky all I got was scraped skin at a fall of 45km/hr, it could have been far far worst...

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 3777
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

dorin wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:39 am

I installed last night the Corsa g 2.0, I didn't pay attention to tech data before order, min 87psi?!? Their recommended pressure on my setup is 135 and 130 psi, the zipp nsw doesn’t agree anything above 125...I went with 108 rear and 100 front (7.5 and 7 bar).
They do look spectacular but let’s see how they perform a 100km ride today, they do feel rock hard, gone is the comfort of 65psi...I enjoy high speed descends the thought of poor grip freaks me out, I was lucky all I got was scraped skin at a fall of 45km/hr, it could have been far far worst...

I run my 25mm Corsa G2.0 at between 70-85psi. Don’t run >100psi...

dorin
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:21 pm

by dorin

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:54 am
dorin wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:39 am

I installed last night the Corsa g 2.0, I didn't pay attention to tech data before order, min 87psi?!? Their recommended pressure on my setup is 135 and 130 psi, the zipp nsw doesn’t agree anything above 125...I went with 108 rear and 100 front (7.5 and 7 bar).
They do look spectacular but let’s see how they perform a 100km ride today, they do feel rock hard, gone is the comfort of 65psi...I enjoy high speed descends the thought of poor grip freaks me out, I was lucky all I got was scraped skin at a fall of 45km/hr, it could have been far far worst...

I run my 25mm Corsa G2.0 at between 70-85psi. Don’t run >100psi...
Super glad to hear that, I’ll reduce the pressure after tonight, as I don’t fancy feeling every single bump in the road...may I ask what is the total riding weight?
Cheers,
Dorin

Baal
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:42 pm

by Baal

robertbb wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:59 am
Hexsense wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:57 pm
My 28c 5000 is only a tiny bit wider than 25c 4000sII.
On what internal rim size? (what wheelset?)
True for me too. Conti 5000 In 28 mm measures 28.8 on carbon rim of 21 mm internal width compared to 28.4 for a Conti4000 on the same wheel. When I ride those two at same pressures (90 psi back, 85 psi front) they feel pretty similar. I like them both. Can't say anything as yet about wear or puncture resistance.

skyliner1004
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:38 am

by skyliner1004

in the past i've switched from 23 and 25mm GP4000s. Just got a new SS and it came with 25mm Vittoria Corsa G+(1.0, from 2017), i have a $70 set of 23mm GP4000's, or worth upgrading to a Gp5000 for overall weight savings + grip improvement over the Corsa?

RocketRacing
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 2:43 am

by RocketRacing

dorin wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:39 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:17 am
dorin wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:39 pm
For the first time I had a crash due to skidding tires, GP5000, ok I was fast, about 45km/hr in a 180 curve, when I leaned to take the curve the bike flew from under me. Not saying is the gp’s fault only, but I don’t think I was way faster than normal, could also have been dirty road, Dolomites, Sud Tirol. And had two punctures on Tubolito tubes (used them first each of them in this combination), so i’d Say normal, but not “oh my, bomb proof”

I've been saying all along in the tubeless GP5K thread (why are there even two threads?) that the grip isn't stellar. Average at best, probably slightly worse than Hutchinson Fusion 5s...maybe equal to Schwalbe Pro Ones. If you want a noticeable improvement in grip, go with the Corsa G2.0s.
I installed last night the Corsa g 2.0, I didn't pay attention to tech data before order, min 87psi?!? Their recommended pressure on my setup is 135 and 130 psi, the zipp nsw doesn’t agree anything above 125...I went with 108 rear and 100 front (7.5 and 7 bar).
They do look spectacular but let’s see how they perform a 100km ride today, they do feel rock hard, gone is the comfort of 65psi...I enjoy high speed descends the thought of poor grip freaks me out, I was lucky all I got was scraped skin at a fall of 45km/hr, it could have been far far worst...
I have a strong opinion that lawyers decide on the minimum pressure specs as much as the engineers. Those numbers are likely based on worst case scenarios (really heavy riders cornering really hard). I run 65-50psi on tires measuring 25-26mm.

Methodical
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:40 pm

by Methodical

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:57 pm
From Silca's test on rolling impedance,
https://silca.cc/blogs/journal/part-4b- ... -impedance
Higher pressure not only give up comfort, but it also is slower when road is less than perfect.

I'd say on quite good road,
if 23c allow you to run lower than 90psi then you might not be faster to go for 25c and drop pressure further. Same for 25c if it is already lower than 90psi then you might not need 28c.
Ofcourse, if the road degrade further then lower pressure is beneficial, and may demand for larger tires.
If you happen to require larger tire and still want aero, then larger rim to match tire width is a good thing to have. Wide tire on wide rim is more aero than wide tire on too narrow rim.

BTW: GP 5000 runs really smaller than 4000sII. My 28c 5000 is only a tiny bit wider than 25c 4000sII. It's a far cry from hugely oversized 28c 4000sII.
If anyone want to replace 4000sII with 5000, and want the same actual width. Consider go up a size.
Just to clarify, the GP5k 28mm is actually 28mm and don't balloon to some oversize tire, correct. I have GP4kIIs in both the 25 and 28s and even at 80/90 psi, the 25s are over 28mm and the 28s are like 31+mm and really tall on my wheels.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Trek Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg
'12 Trek Madone (Black) - 6.96kg
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

dorin
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:21 pm

by dorin

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:17 am
dorin wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:39 pm
For the first time I had a crash due to skidding tires, GP5000, ok I was fast, about 45km/hr in a 180 curve, when I leaned to take the curve the bike flew from under me. Not saying is the gp’s fault only, but I don’t think I was way faster than normal, could also have been dirty road, Dolomites, Sud Tirol. And had two punctures on Tubolito tubes (used them first each of them in this combination), so i’d Say normal, but not “oh my, bomb proof”

I've been saying all along in the tubeless GP5K thread (why are there even two threads?) that the grip isn't stellar. Average at best, probably slightly worse than Hutchinson Fusion 5s...maybe equal to Schwalbe Pro Ones. If you want a noticeable improvement in grip, go with the Corsa G2.0s.
They may be better on dry but on wet they are plain nightmare! I now love the looks of cotton tire, I just ordered the Specialized Turbo Cotton, let’s see how they fare

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post