Cervelo S5 2019 vs Bianchi XR4 . Please help me choose my next bike.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattyNor

by mattyNor

wheelsONfire wrote:
mattyNor wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:05 pm
The Cervelo is not "Canadian" and the Bianchi is not "Italian" both are 100% made in Taiwan and as far as the Cannondale......Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Yeah, but then again,.. how many bikes do you find made in USA or Europe?
One of the reasons i like Ax Lightness. I even try to follow a theme on mine, using components made in Germany.
There's countless brands hand-building superbikes domesticly.....

Bastion, Argonaut, Passoni, Moasic, Moots, Festka, Seven, Firefly, Exept, Talbot, English, Berk, Tsubasa, Filament, I could go on

IchDien

by IchDien

I think I'd go for the S5 too. Cervelo (traditionally!) have always been ahead of the competition on some aspect design wise and it seems the others are always playing catch up. The Cannondale from a quick glance is a glorified 2012 S5; deep down I know it has different features but the basic "true aero" design has not changed much since the S5.

I've ridden the Bianchi and it's a very nice bike, however, it is dated and I don't think it is sexy. In my opinion the S5 will hold its value better and will remain looking futuristic for quite some time.

My 2012 S5 frame still gets a lot of positive comments from non-cyclists and cyclists alike because it has hardly dated (in looks) IMHO and to the cyclist who doesn't read about product releases religiously it still does look cutting edge, even more so with modern components. When I look at other bikes from 2012 they look truly truly awful in comparison.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

desperado95219

by desperado95219

The cervelo gets my vote.

hannawald

by hannawald

Bianchi, much nicer and people love it. But hard to say why you are changing from F10, it is very aero.

matrix

by matrix

Thanks for the insight. I definitely agree with what you mean on the classic Italian style of Bianchi. It doesn't get "old" as fast compared to modern day bike brands.

IIRC, the System six would be the heaviest of the bunch actually. My weekday training loop consists of a hill in California that averages 2000ft, 7mi, and a rolling descent on the backside. It's a great training loop that gets the most power out in a short amount of time. Basically, I'd want the bike to be able to climb as fast as it is on the straights and carving those descents. It's no surprise that my previous Venge Vias own multiple KOMs on this loop.

And lastly I'm not giving up my Dogma anytime soon. It's here to stay. :)
I am often seen on the bike whether it be training or racing or getting away from responsibilities. All of my mates have a spare bike just in case one fails or has to go into the shop for repairs. I would like to have a secondary bike to ride around and love as equal to what I have now.
robeambro wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:57 am
matrix wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:14 am
The Bianchi ticks these boxes as it has the option of rim brakes, but what irks me is that the frame design hasn't been updated since 3 years ago. If we're talking resale and street cred value, the disc Bianchi might be better.
Yes the Bianchi is "old". But something you may have not considered is the fact that the Bianchi is more "ordinary", hence it may still look "current" in 5 years time. It's aero, but in a classic way. With the Cervelo, instead, in 5 years people will possibly be saying "Which model is it? aaah right, the one with the weird front end..". Unless of course most other manufacturers will adopt those solutions in the future.. Which I kinda doubt.
matrix wrote:
I'd throw the new Cannondale SystemSix AXS with the champagne color scheme into the mix, but that machine looks bulky af, despite being the fastest bike on the market right now.
If I were you I wouldn't be so concerned with marketing claims. Unless you race for a living, the difference between the S5 / XR4 and SS would be minuscule. Especially considering that the SS is probably the heaviest of the bunch (and in that gloss paint scheme even more), so the minuscule wattage advantage vs an S5 / XR4 is at least partly offset by the weight penalty.
matrix wrote:
Just for reference I'm currently on a Dogma F10 with Campy EPS v3 components. Weight is 7.1 kg. I love a good blend of 60% Aero and 40% lightweight like F1 car technology. I'll post pictures eventually.

Thanks for reading .
To be honest I am not sure it's worth upgrading from your current steed.. Unless you want to switch to disc. Unless you're unhappy with it in any way.. If it's too harsh, maybe XR4 with CV will make for a more plush ride, but other than that.. :noidea:

matrix

by matrix

Don't want to sink your boat.. But has anyone ever told you how flexy Enve's were? .... Pretty darn flexy for their price.
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:41 am
Bianchi disc with Enve's ... gets my vote.

matrix

by matrix

Err basic rundown:

Bora Ultra 50s
Zipp Sprinter Stem + Aero Road Bars
Campy v3 EPS
SRM Campy 52/36 Chainrings and PM
Spesh Power Saddle (Elaston)

Nejmann wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 pm
What wheels do you have on your current bike?

matrix

by matrix

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... image0.jpg here's a simple photo as well.
matrix wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:22 am
Err basic rundown:

Bora Ultra 50s
Zipp Sprinter Stem + Aero Road Bars
Campy v3 EPS
SRM Campy 52/36 Chainrings and PM
Spesh Power Saddle (Elaston)

Nejmann wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 pm
What wheels do you have on your current bike?

matrix

by matrix

Very interesting. It definitely has a uniqueness factor to it. Do you have weights + components you are using?

The weights from magazine articles are all over the place.....
timmerrr wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:07 pm
Ive got the new S5 and love it. It may not be the lightest bike but it is undoubtedly fast. When buying a bike like either of your options, its really mostly about how the bike makes you feel, both are going to be fast and ride great. I think the S5 looks really cool, the ride quality is great and its very responsive to both seated and out of the saddle efforts, so it ticks all the boxes for me. Also, I have a friend who has an F8 and an XR4 and he much preferres the XR4 because of the ride quality.

matrix

by matrix

Still keeping the F10.. In the market for a second bike that I will love equally as much!
hannawald wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:26 am
Bianchi, much nicer and people love it. But hard to say why you are changing from F10, it is very aero.

matrix

by matrix

Cervelo has the "E" on its head tube for a reason... "Engineering First"

As great engineers they are, they lack in the design department compared to their competition. Not to mention fewer color choices...
The S5 however definitely struck me as a unique bit of tech. Only issue is there's no way of determining at this point in time that it will be tossed in the bin like the Venge Vias of 2016. I want my bikes to retain its value ( or be easier to sell ) for when it does time to sell them off to upgrade to a newer toy.

Still gathering thoughts and opinions from the community. So far so good. I need to make up my mind hah.
IchDien wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:28 am
I think I'd go for the S5 too. Cervelo (traditionally!) have always been ahead of the competition on some aspect design wise and it seems the others are always playing catch up. The Cannondale from a quick glance is a glorified 2012 S5; deep down I know it has different features but the basic "true aero" design has not changed much since the S5.

I've ridden the Bianchi and it's a very nice bike, however, it is dated and I don't think it is sexy. In my opinion the S5 will hold its value better and will remain looking futuristic for quite some time.

My 2012 S5 frame still gets a lot of positive comments from non-cyclists and cyclists alike because it has hardly dated (in looks) IMHO and to the cyclist who doesn't read about product releases religiously it still does look cutting edge, even more so with modern components. When I look at other bikes from 2012 they look truly truly awful in comparison.

matrix

by matrix

* Still gathering thoughts and opinions from the community. So far so good. I need to make up my mind hah. *

Mixed opinion between the Bianchi XR4 and Cervelo S5 2019 Disc .

Any disc users here? Nobody ever talks about the hassles with going disc. Do you guys ever get rubbing in an all out sprint?

matrix

by matrix

matrix wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:19 am
Thanks for the insight. I definitely agree with what you mean on the classic Italian style of Bianchi. It doesn't get "old" as fast compared to modern day bike brands.

IIRC, the System six would be the heaviest of the bunch actually. My weekday training loop consists of a hill in California that averages 2000ft, 7mi, and a rolling descent on the backside. It's a great training loop that gets the most power out in a short amount of time. Basically, I'd want the bike to be able to climb as fast as it is on the straights and carving those descents. It's no surprise that my previous Venge Vias own multiple KOMs on this loop.

And lastly I'm not giving up my Dogma anytime soon. It's here to stay. :)

I never used disc before. Not sure if it's worth the upgrade, despite everyone glorifying them, or the high end bike industry phasing them out in the near future. A little bit of weight adds up. What are your thoughts on going with either the XR4 and the XR4D?

I am often seen on the bike whether it be training or racing or getting away from responsibilities. All of my mates have a spare bike just in case one fails or has to go into the shop for repairs. I would like to have a secondary bike to ride around and love as equal to what I have now.
robeambro wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:57 am
matrix wrote:
The Bianchi ticks these boxes as it has the option of rim brakes, but what irks me is that the frame design hasn't been updated since 3 years ago. If we're talking resale and street cred value, the disc Bianchi might be better.
Yes the Bianchi is "old". But something you may have not considered is the fact that the Bianchi is more "ordinary", hence it may still look "current" in 5 years time. It's aero, but in a classic way. With the Cervelo, instead, in 5 years people will possibly be saying "Which model is it? aaah right, the one with the weird front end..". Unless of course most other manufacturers will adopt those solutions in the future.. Which I kinda doubt.
matrix wrote:
I'd throw the new Cannondale SystemSix AXS with the champagne color scheme into the mix, but that machine looks bulky af, despite being the fastest bike on the market right now.
If I were you I wouldn't be so concerned with marketing claims. Unless you race for a living, the difference between the S5 / XR4 and SS would be minuscule. Especially considering that the SS is probably the heaviest of the bunch (and in that gloss paint scheme even more), so the minuscule wattage advantage vs an S5 / XR4 is at least partly offset by the weight penalty.
matrix wrote:
Just for reference I'm currently on a Dogma F10 with Campy EPS v3 components. Weight is 7.1 kg. I love a good blend of 60% Aero and 40% lightweight like F1 car technology. I'll post pictures eventually.

Thanks for reading .
To be honest I am not sure it's worth upgrading from your current steed.. Unless you want to switch to disc. Unless you're unhappy with it in any way.. If it's too harsh, maybe XR4 with CV will make for a more plush ride, but other than that.. :noidea:

pedale

by pedale

If you're keeping the f10, I think you won't get much difference with the XR4, so I would try to ride the s5. If the ride feels too similar to what you already have then you should expand your selection

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

mattyNor wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:05 pm
The Cervelo is not "Canadian" and the Bianchi is not "Italian" both are 100% made in Taiwan and as far as the Cannondale......Image

hah, quite lovely