Experience with Pika Travelpack or EVOC Bike Travel Pro Bags?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Those of you travelling with the EVOC, are you systematically dinged with extra charges by airlines or is this merely treated as oversized luggage?

That sort of hybrid case with frame was my #1 choice for balance of convenience, protection and portability, but if it means an extra 50-100$ each way everytime, then perhaps something like the Pika Travelpack is worth the reduced sturdiness and extra disassembly to escape those extra charges?

What's your experiences with these bags in particular?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

octave

by octave

i have an evoc bike travel bag pro and i am charged every time. same for my buddy who has the same bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmp

by dmp

look at the Orucase vs Gavilan thread in chat.

RyanH

by RyanH

I have the Pika Packworks and I get charged most times these days.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Bordcla wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:24 pm
Those of you travelling with the EVOC, are you systematically dinged with extra charges by airlines or is this merely treated as oversized luggage?

That sort of hybrid case with frame was my #1 choice for balance of convenience, protection and portability, but if it means an extra 50-100$ each way everytime, then perhaps something like the Pika Travelpack is worth the reduced sturdiness and extra disassembly to escape those extra charges?

What's your experiences with these bags in particular?
Do your research and pick an airline that'll count your bike bag as a part of your luggage

Of all the travels I had, I was surprised to not have paid a fee for my bike bag for this certain airline travelling across the world. Meanwhile, all my travels to EU I've been asked to pay for "sports equipment" which wasn't too bad ($25 USD each leg)

ms6073

by ms6073

While my experiences are dated by a few years, before reiring from racing, our Evoc travel bags with CX bikes and weighing under 50 pounds per bag cost:
$75 each way on Southwest Airlines
$125 each way on United
$50 each way on Jet Blue

By comparison, UPS Ground shipping was ~$60 each way when shipping frames in frame box and taking wheels on flight.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I had the PIka bag. It was a bitch to store at home, too big for the hotel room, and put in the rental car on the other side of the trip. You have to take the stem off, so you might as well get a "fork-off" bag. Otherwise, a soft bag without branding is the way to go. Put some musical instrument or scientific/engineering logos on that bag to avoid issues. The portable stands in the evoc/thule bags are nice, but add weight

I didn't have any issues with it in the US, but in EUR the agents actually care enough to ask. I'd argue that a disassembled bike is not a bike, but rather something else - "a production sample" or "educational demonstrator".

dmp

by dmp

I've got the Orucase and have not been charged on either domestic flights or international. On the few occasions when I was asked "what"s in the bag" I said its an ergometer for exercise physiology testing (and with a power meter its technically true).

moyboy

by moyboy

Love that answer!

dmp wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:56 am
I've got the Orucase and have not been charged on either domestic flights or international. On the few occasions when I was asked "what"s in the bag" I said its an ergometer for exercise physiology testing (and with a power meter its technically true).

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

dmp wrote:I've got the Orucase and have not been charged on either domestic flights or international. On the few occasions when I was asked "what"s in the bag" I said its an ergometer for exercise physiology testing (and with a power meter its technically true).
LOL that is a superb answer ha. I told them it's a pair of cymbals Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Based on the feedback and given my intent on dodging airline bike fees, I think I've settled on the Orucase Airport Ninja.

If not going for the absolute peace of mind of a strong rigid box like a Buxum, then going with a bigger "in between" solution doesn't make much sense to me. If you're going to put up with the hassle of carrying a bigger case and paying through the nose, why go with anything but the best available protection?

Then, if not going with the best protection, why put up with the weight, size and fees as you would with the box?

Hopefully I can join the ranks of the satisfied Orucase travelers.