goniometer / playing around with position

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Anyone of you guys, who have actually played around with a goniometer, to test your position yourselves (saddle)?
I look at some video clips and i have always been temped.
Just ordered one of these to try (not cheap)!

Most clips on the net doesn't seem to care for feet lenght, pelvic rotation or angle of your back in relation to setback.
It seems you can have a medium pelvic rotation but still have a stiffness in hip flexors?
I wonder, when guys go to bike fitters and get different results, is it possible this pends on the actual fit or is it simply different opinions between different fitters?

Are there static numbers for back angle, arm angle etc or is this based on fit (it would seem resonable)?

I ask because i have noted that i myself have changed over years. I think more than i like to admit pends on my fit (might be wrong though)!?
ihopfallbar-goniometer-matinstrument-mat-leder-1024x768.jpg
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It's going to depend on how much ankling you do, femur vs tibia length, whether you want to get as aero as possible (lower everything,) etc. There's no right answer for static angles at full extension or the opposite. The only absolute certainty is to make sure you're never in danger of knee hyperextension.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Aha, read that seems painful.
I guess this answers the question then, different outcomes of a bike fit pends on the fitter.
How about the fit of the rider?
I read that Cavendish mechanic (years ago) told the journalist that Cavendish was probably the cyclist changing his position most of those he had wrenched bikes for.
That included height of saddle.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Of all the things to buy for a fit, that probably has the most questionable value.

You can also do this dynamically (which is more useful) with a $4.99 iPhone app. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bike-fa ... 35084?mt=8

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have no respons to that app vs a goniometer. It's probably nice and more easy having it "filmed".
I like the idea of simplicity. Goniometer i guess, is old school.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

mattr

by mattr

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:10 pm
I think more than i like to admit pends on my fit (might be wrong though)!?
Everything really hangs on how good your fit is, power, comfort, aero, handling, injury avoidance and so on.

But you've never had one, so how will you be "playing around" when you've got no baseline, and from what i can remember, a series of fit "issues".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

mattr wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:51 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:10 pm
I think more than i like to admit pends on my fit (might be wrong though)!?
Everything really hangs on how good your fit is, power, comfort, aero, handling, injury avoidance and so on.

But you've never had one, so how will you be "playing around" when you've got no baseline, and from what i can remember, a series of fit "issues".
I'm nitpicking. What i like is that i learn more and more, even if this might come out like i'm lost in space.
If i would have been doing what i do, i had probably invested as much in bike fits, as a new bike.
There are guys who have been radically re-fitted over time. I guess i had been one of those to.
It's hard to explain, but i move around alot and that is not making things easier.
I'm actually same when i ride a motorcycle. A bike however, is way more static. I have changed alot, talking Q-factor preference as an example.
Perhaps i'm overly curious. Best for me had probably been educating myself since i am very very picky.
My guess is that a bike fitter had been thinking, this guy is going to invest alot of money here.
Or, what a pain in the ass person.
If i had built frames, i would most likely build frames with myraid of tiny changes over and over again.
This comes down to a never ending curiousity.
When i bought motorcycles, i customized them to a point, then i got bored, sold it off and bought a new one to do same thing.
Ofcourse i rode them like an idiot to :mrgreen:
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)