SRAM Red aerolink brakes - maximum rim width

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jih

by jih

I've been running 25mm rims with these brakes for some time. Last week I tried to change the brake pads, and found that with new pads the brakes wouldn't open enough to be usable with the pads. It was just possible to get the wheel spinning freely wiht the barrel adjuster all the way in, but the pads were very close to the rim and would probably touch during hard efforts. I tend to like a bit of 'lead in' on the brake levers, not immediate engagement as soon as the lever is moved 1mm.

I would think that a 25mm rim would be compatible with any modern brake. Is the aerolink just too old of a model, or is there some trick to setting it up with wider rims?

By the way, I screwed the adjuster in past the point where the cable inner was taut, so I don't think it is a case of too much cable tension. The inner brake cable was hanging loose in the frame so that the initial pull of the lever wasn't doing anything to close the caliper.

Jugi

by Jugi

I have SRAM Aerolink brake calipers and a Zipp 808 (tubular) front wheel on my TT bike. If I remember correctly, the 808 is about 25 mm (outer) wide at the brake track, and bulges to 26-27 mm along the profile. As TT bike's brakes don't have to be "easily" actuated, I like to have reasonable spacing between the rim and pads as well. I haven't come across this issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

SwissStop, for example, make pads with two different profiles, some are thinner for wider rims.
Whilst I object to being sold less pad for the same or more money, have you tried this option?

jih

by jih

Jugi wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:40 pm
I have SRAM Aerolink brake calipers and a Zipp 808 (tubular) front wheel on my TT bike. If I remember correctly, the 808 is about 25 mm (outer) wide at the brake track, and bulges to 26-27 mm along the profile. As TT bike's brakes don't have to be "easily" actuated, I like to have reasonable spacing between the rim and pads as well. I haven't come across this issue.
This seems to be what most people online have reported. Baffled as to why my brakes don’t seem to open so wide as some other’s. Maybe there are two revisions of aerolink? But I can’t find any mention of differing versions on google.

I’m not against paying for less pad in principle, but it really seems like for most people ‘standard’ width pads work for 25mm wide rims, and even for rims a little wider than that

Beaver

by Beaver

Advertisement SRAM RED eTap:"Security at your fingertips with a fresh look to complement SRAM RED® eTap® componentry. SRAM RED® brakes won’t slow you down. Until you’re ready. That's why the SRAM RED® brakeset has been created with a host of wind-cheating features to make the brake body more aerodynamic, helping you keep your speed until the moment you're ready. The patented AeroLink™ arm reduces frontal area while improving braking performance and modulation. The brake body, with updated graphics, has been sculpted to provide a sleek aerodynamic profile to the wind. Even the smallest details, like the barrel adjuster, point away from the wind. And to finish off the package, SwissStop Flash Pro pads come standard with the brake. It's a better brake in every way.

AeroLink™ arm amplifies braking power while reducing frontal area
Compatible with SRAM RED eTap components
Lighter, aero pad retainers carry SwissStop Flash Pro pads standard
Aero design extends to the shape of the indexed four-position quick release
Wider clearance for modern wheelsets"

Advertisement SRAM RED eTap AXS:"The SRAM RED® rim brakeset improves on all fronts: it is lighter, more aerodynamic and leverages more braking power. What is more, it features tire clearance up to 28mm and the finish has been updated to match SRAM RED eTap AXS™.

That is why the SRAM RED Brakeset has been created with a host of wind-cheating features to make the brake body more aerodynamic, helping you keep your speed until the moment you are ready. The patented AeroLink arms reduce frontal area while improving braking performance and modulation. The brake bodies have been sculpted to provide a sleek aerodynamic profile to the wind. Even the smallest details, like the barrel adjusters or the indexed quick releases point away from the wind. And to finish off the package lighter, aero brake shoes with SwissStop Flash Pro pads come standard with the brakes."

:noidea:

ubers

by ubers

I run the 1st generation Aerolink brake calipers (purchased in 2013) with 28mm wide carbon clinchers no problems at all (the braking surface on the rim is probably about 27mm wide though). They open wide enough to accept this width, and I have found no need for thinner profile brake pads.

Rappid

by Rappid

I'm using Aerolink with new Enve 3.4 27.5mm wide rim + Enve black pads (10mm) without any problems.

CEVelo

by CEVelo

Hed Belgium Plus rims with 28mm tires no problem on a Tarmac SL6

dcorn

by dcorn

CEVelo wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:25 pm
Hed Belgium Plus rims with 28mm tires no problem on a Tarmac SL6
SL6 uses direct mount brakes, which Sram doesn't make in the aerolink model. How does that work?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CEVelo

by CEVelo

They are the new S-900 mechanical rim breaks. Direct mount and clears a 28mm tire. If weight is the key concern, go for a set of EE breaks.