Colnago cable guide...Stuck!!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TimF

by TimF

Hi all,

Bought a M10s and it didn't have the cable guide that attaches to the frame by the bottom bracket (the one that routes the mech cables). Wondering what aftermarket ones will fit? Anyone know!? :cry:

Thanks, Tim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Campagnolo ones fit and work very well in my experience.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I didn’t find the Campagnolo fit very well at all, but I haven’t tried them on an M10. Can’t remember if it was the curvature around the shell or the lines the cables had to take or both, but didn’t work for me. I’d just get another one from Colnago personally.
@Mockenrue, which frames did you find that they work well on? Because I do like the guides themselves.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

C40, C50 and Extreme Power. Used frames where the original guides were either tatty or missing. I think one of my C59s may have had one too. If I remember correctly the part of the guide through which the FD cable passes extends further upwards, thus preventing the cable from rubbing the paint better than the supplied guide. I didn't use a Campag one on my old (mechanical only) M10 but I don't see any reason why one wouldn't work as effectively, as the shell dimensions are roughly similar to that of the lugged frames if I'm not mistaken.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ah yes, now I recall. It would fit with no problem on my C50, but it wasn’t till the C59 came out that I even thought about using an alternative. With the C59, it was clear that the front derailleur cable would rub on both the BB shell and the edge of the chainstay bridge. So I tried the Campy guide but it was a no go. It was too wide for the slot where the cables exited the downtube and didn’t have the right “lines” at all to guide the cables in the direction they needed to be. That’s when I began using the PTFE tubing on my builds for the first time.
Here’s my C59, with the stock Colnago guide (and PTFE tubing)...

And here is the same bike but with a Campy cable guide overlayed on top.... didn’t work...

I just can’t remember what the M10’s cable routing/guide looked like to know if this Campy guide would work or not. But I think they had a similar kind of exit slot from the downtube as the C59.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ