joining the Colnago c64 disc group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Seedster

by Seedster

Congrats! I saw your bike at the shop when i was getting my C64 disc upgraded. Do you always ride mtb pedals on the road?

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Seedster wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:29 pm
Congrats! I saw your bike at the shop when i was getting my C64 disc upgraded. Do you always ride mtb pedals on the road?
i prefer to call them cx pedals. i like to be able to walk off the bike. how do you upgrade a c64 disc?
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Record to Super Record? Non-EPS to EPS? Mech-to-Di2?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:40 pm
Seedster wrote:
i prefer to call them cx pedals. i like to be able to walk off the bike. how do you upgrade a c64 disc?
So you know Felix?
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

Seedster

by Seedster

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Seedster wrote:
So you know Felix?
I know Felix and the crew well. I always consult with him about sizing before I buy a new bike. He’s a great resource.

I upgraded my cassette to SR, record chain, a campy chain catcher and a rechargeable SRM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FelixTheCat

by FelixTheCat

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:28 am
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
Seedster wrote:
So you know Felix?
Must be a good guy lol

Love the look of the bike, I wouldn't worry about using Shimano, groupsets should just be personal preference frame aside.

nycebo

by nycebo

I definitely wouldn't worry about using Shimano; and was only teasing. Indeed, my plan is to build up a C64 art deco blue with Shimano over the summer.

Now, the real problem: Ultegra over Dura Ace on a C64? For shame! ;-) :P

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

oh no! i went ultegra!
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

nycebo

by nycebo

Indeed, it's the best value in their line-up.

Meanwhile, how's the ride? Are you over the moon?

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

nycebo wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:15 pm
Indeed, it's the best value in their line-up.

Meanwhile, how's the ride? Are you over the moon?
no rides yet. and honestly if the roads aren't great i'm holding off and will continue using the winter bike. looking for a nice dry day to test it out . can't bring myself to get it dirty on the first ride out.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

TonyM

by TonyM

fromtrektocolnago wrote:oh no! i went ultegra!
Better to have a nice Colnago C64 with Ultegra than a generic frame with Dura Ace!

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

TonyM wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:51 am
fromtrektocolnago wrote:oh no! i went ultegra!
Better to have a nice Colnago C64 with Ultegra than a generic frame with Dura Ace!
i'm making it up to the bike by taking it to switzerland. now how do i tell the c-59?
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

ms6073

by ms6073

TonyM wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:51 am
Hey now, watch it there as that describes my last 3 open mold CX/Gravel bikes. :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Had my second ride on the bike. Delayed use due to snow, ice , detritus on the road and a general desire not to get it all dirty on the first time out. Generally this is a really nice bike. Coming from the C-59 I feel right at home, the geometry is quite similar but I did have to downsize my stem 10 mm. I didn't really expect it but being able to switch(I won't say upgrade) to 25 mm tires was a nice plus. They just feel more planted on the road. I'm using the same brand tire so I'm attributing this to the size. I was surprised at 2 mm would be noticeable since we're talking the width of a nickel. I've have disc brakes on another bike so this is nothing new. I do prefer the hoods of my C-59 Dura Ace rim brake equipped bike. The hoods just feel better. The bike feels more solid than the C-59. I'm not noticing any difference in comfort but I am on wider tires and I'm now on Bora 35's as opposed to Shimano Dura Ace C-24's. The carbon wheels feel like they may be faster but my overall times on my two rides don't really show it. Of course I'm a little out of shape coming off the winter. Yesterday's ride had a fair amount of cross-wind and it seemed the new wheels were a bit more impacted by it than the previous ones but I'm not 100% sure. The Bora's feel like a quality wheel but I'm not sure the value is there. I probably shoul have done an alloy wheel but got them due to looks and wanting to make the bike look right, plus wanted to try something new. Overall a really nice bike. I'm really liking the Art Deco paint job. Was a little nervous riding it the first time out. Felt a little bling bling but second ride out that bothered me less.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamraymond

by iamraymond

That Art Deco frame is gorgeous.

I know what you mean about the hoods. 8020 STIs are quite large and bulbose compared to 9100/8000 (rim brake). If you ever upgrade to 8070 Di2 , you'll benefit from the much smaller electronic/hydraulic hoods. I think they are the same size as the rim brake shifters.