Can I put 650b wheels on my Giant Defy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mort

by Mort

I just built a new TCR so I want to turn my 2017 Giant Defy advanced pro 1 size M in to a gravel bike that I can ride in the winter when it snows. I’m going to make the switch to 1x and was wondering if I could put some 650b wheels on so I can use bigger tires. The biggest I can fit right now are 28mm maybe 30. Has anyone done this? Or know if it’s possible? Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You can if you accept a smaller rolling diameter. You won't get a 42mm tyre in there. Waste if time.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:05 pm
You can if you accept a smaller rolling diameter. You won't get a 42mm tyre in there. Waste if time.
Using a tire that WILL fit will lower the bottom bracket, causing pedaling / cornering issues

You might be able to compensate by getting a drastically shorter crank arm.

kman

by kman

You'll probably get the desired effect at the front but not on the rear. The way the chain stays pinch in limits the tyre size - even if you drop to 650b. Measure the gap about where the braking surface of your 700c rim sits. Thats (very) roughly where you need the width for a 650b tyre to sit.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Catagory6 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:26 pm
bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:05 pm
Using a tire that WILL fit will lower the bottom bracket, causing pedaling / cornering issues

You might be able to compensate by getting a drastically shorter crank arm.
As mentioned, the gap between the chainstays will be the limiting factor in the tyre size you can fit. I've converted a couple of frames from 700c to 650b - a Litespeed, where the bowed-in chainstays meant that I could just run a 32mm 650b tyre with very minimal clearances between the stays, and a Merckx Mourenx that my wife rides, which has much better clearance between the chainstays - I can fit a 35mm 650b tyre and still have 3-4mm of clearance each side.

On the Litespeed, which had 76mm BB drop and 170mm cranks, it was possible to ground a pedal on the converted bike when cornering fast and pedalling. On the Merckx that's not been a problem, as the BB drop is 5mm less and the 165mm cranks are 5mm shorter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mort

by Mort

I appreciate the reply’s, and it looks like I’ll be getting the new Revolt after all. I was hoping to make due with the Defy because the trade in value is less than a third of what I paid for it a year and a half ago. But, 28mm tires are doing nothing for me in the snow. Thanks for the input.