Which Groupset to choose in today's madness

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

The more I read my thread, the more confused I am :mrgreen:

Thing is, price aside, everything about groupsets seems to be incredibly subjective. It's almost weird how subjective it is.
I think I'll just touch the hoods/levers of all the contenders, and then, if all seem suitable, will get the one that my LBS will be ready to give me a decent deal on :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

riders are more partisan about their group sets than about the bikes they ride.

https://imgur.com/gallery/8dnXJdu
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

robeambro wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:04 pm
The more I read my thread, the more confused I am :mrgreen:

Thing is, price aside, everything about groupsets seems to be incredibly subjective. It's almost weird how subjective it is.
I think I'll just touch the hoods/levers of all the contenders, and then, if all seem suitable, will get the one that my LBS will be ready to give me a decent deal on :)
That's as good an approach as any. They all work well. Anyone can ride any groupset and be happy with it. And this forum is a good place to learn a few things so you will be informed of all the various quirks and won't be surprised by too much after your purchase.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Miller

by Miller

mattr wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:39 pm
Miller wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:33 pm
I'm struggling to believe this princessy discussion is serious.
?? You new to cycling? The discussion about the merits of each shifter set up (inc DT) and its pros and cons has been going on since 1989 when the first STIs were seen in the wild......... it's not going to stop any time soon.
No. I am not new to cycling. The fact that this discussion has been going on forever and has no resolution tells you it's pointless and not worth wasting time on.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Yeah, it is like asking what is the best color. All the mide range and up stuff is great imho (like 105 and up). It just comes down to bling/bragging and weight. In road bikes, the only revolutionary thing for me was electronic shifting of the front derailer. Kind of made it easy and mindless, which is great.

ToughInTheStreets

by ToughInTheStreets

Miller wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:33 pm
mattr wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:39 pm
Miller wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:33 pm
I'm struggling to believe this princessy discussion is serious.
?? You new to cycling? The discussion about the merits of each shifter set up (inc DT) and its pros and cons has been going on since 1989 when the first STIs were seen in the wild......... it's not going to stop any time soon.
No. I am not new to cycling. The fact that this discussion has been going on forever and has no resolution tells you it's pointless and not worth wasting time on.
Yet here you are on page 6 of this endless diatribe..... :lol: I'm with you though, it's a fruitless debate on what is better, it's all going to boil down to personal preference. It's just a process for people to reaffirm their purchases or to help justify pulling the trigger on something that is quite a lot of money for most people and not feel like they made the wrong decision by doing so.

I do like to hear what everyone's thoughts are on these kinds of subjects, so that's what brings me here.

@robeambro You probably won't go wrong with whatever you choose, just go with what feels good to you and what you feel comfortable paying for.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Silly question .... but has to be asked....can a Rotor Uno Disc Groupset be fitted on a Venge?
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram