Colnago V2-R headset issue

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
gerryc89

by gerryc89

Hello all

I picked up a lovely frameset from derosa (some of you may recognise it from the classifieds here;) )

I’m struggling with something somewhat trivial. The top ring of the headset (before the cover) doesn’t seem to sit flush with the headset bearing. Has anyone else experienced it? I’ve tried with some force but am wary of damaging something. Picture attached

Any advice appreciated

Calnago

by Calnago

Grease it up and use the flat surface of a slotted screw driver to push it evenly all the way around and down. It’s supposed to be snug. Make sure the edges (where it first fits between the steertube and the bearing) aren’t damaged, preventing it from getting started.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

gerryc89

by gerryc89

Thank you Calnago - sorted! A very snug fit indeed. Thank you for your help.
Calnago wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:18 pm
Grease it up and use the flat surface of a slotted screw driver to push it evenly all the way around and down. It’s supposed to be snug. Make sure the edges (where it first fits between the steertube and the bearing) aren’t damaged, preventing it from getting started.

Calnago

by Calnago

When Acros first came out with this Delrin or nylon or whatever it’s made of compression ring, my first thought was “plastic?... this should be metal”. But their rationale was to actually provide a slight dampening for the steertube at a critical junction between the bearing/compression ring and the steertube. And it’s been very good so far. I’ve not noticed any scoring or indentations that sometimes presents itself at that that point on other systems.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

When I was installing my fork I noticed that there was no metal ring supplied for the bottom of the steerer tube where it feeds into the headtube and thought there must be something wrong but looking at the way the carbon is formed so smoothly at that point maybe thats the way it is. Am I missing something here?
"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"-Albert Einstein
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

No, that's correct. Colnago forks have been like that for some time now.

by Weenie

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Whew good to know. I was looking and thinking that it would be a hell of a tight fit if there was an additional ring going in there. Thanks Mockenrue for the quick responce.
"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"-Albert Einstein
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake