Tire clearance for winter/rain bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TiFan

by TiFan

I had my Enigma built around 35mm max tyre size. Fits 28mm tyre with Velo Orange metal guards but could not go bigger with the guards fitted.
I was in a similar position to the OP when originally deciding on clearance but decided it would be 95% road but could run 32's for cobbles etc.

Marin

by Marin

My bikes all can clear Compass Bon Jon Pass which come out to 36mm. When I run 60mm aero wheels with 23/25mm tires the bike looks 100% like a normal road bike, and people only notice the clearance when I point out the extra space above the brakes. With disc brakes it's even easier, and I don't see a good reason to limit clearance to less than 35mm. Instant do-it-all bike, all you need is a cheap 2nd set of wheels (with expensive tires).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TiFan

by TiFan

I had my Enigma built around 35mm max tyre size. Fits 28mm tyre with Velo Orange metal guards but could not go bigger with the guards fitted.
I was in a similar position to the OP when originally deciding on clearance but decided it would be 95% road but could run 32's for cobbles etc.
Attachments
20190210_155212.jpg