Tire clearance for winter/rain bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wintershade

by wintershade

I have a Stelbel Rodano Disc on order to be my winter/rain bike. I intend to run it with full fenders.

I am really struggling with how much tire clearance to have them build into the bike. I can run up to 28c with fenders (but it gets tight with some tire/wheel combos) with their standard road fork.. Stelbel seems to suggest this is the ideal for predominantly road riding — extra grip but still feels like a road bike. They can also use a custom gravel fork to get me up to 32c with fenders (34c+ without) but they caution this starts to change how the bike handles a bit as well as aesthetics, so advised me to think through things so I don’t “overbuild” the bike.

I’m not looking for a full on gravel bike. I’ve never ridden gravel. If I get into gravel, I’d probably build a Ti gravel bike and set it up differently (no fenders, no paint, different gearing, etc). I already have 5 bikes so what’s another.....

Purpose of the winter bike is base miles in the wet San Francisco winter, the occasional commute (1-2 days/week), maybe some pave riding in Europe or inclement weather condos where I’d want disc brakes (all my road bikes are rim brake).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

If you are getting guards bigger than for 28s you're sizing up to guards for 35s.

wintershade

by wintershade

I’m pretty sure there are fenders designed for tires between 28 and 35. Such as these Road Plus gender by Portland Design Works, which for 30c and many 32c.

I think 30c Pro One Speed on a 19C rim is probably as wide as I’d want to go.

https://ridepdw.com/products/full-metal ... -plus-size

wintershade

by wintershade

I definitely don’t thing Inwant big bulky 35c guards though.... I want this to be a fast endurance winter bike. Not a city bike.

dim

by dim

I used to own a Surly Long Haul Trucker and researched the internet and forums as regards fenders/tyre clearance

I was advised that you choose the widest tyre that you anticipate using, then get fenders/mudguards 10mm wider

bear in mind that some tyres may be labelled as 28mm, but will measure considerably more depending on what rims you are using
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

euan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:59 pm
If you are getting guards bigger than for 28s you're sizing up to guards for 35s.
Portland Design works has Road Plus which are designed for 30c..

I have 650beast and City. The 650Beast are preferred, but they dont quite go all the way up on my bike. At somepoint I'm going to get them cut for clearance at the forks and seatstays.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

dim

by dim

you can get bamboo mudguards that are flat and which do not cover part of the tyre sidewalls .... if you can fit them to your bike, they will still work if the tyre is wider that the mudguards

I'm not sure how they compare weightwise to plastic or alu mudguards

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

way too hipster
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

zmjones

by zmjones

35mm guards are not really wide. i'd say the maximum you can fit under them are 28mm actual tires. you could do 30 but you'll get more side spray and depending on the shape of the guards a higher chance that they will rub/rattle. the 10mm rule is conservative. i think something like 7-8mm is ok.

if you are looking for guard recommendations i'd go with pdw if you don't want to be fussed. otherwise simworks by honjo would be a good choice.

as far as tires. if i wasn't going to ride anything rougher than shitty pave/hardpack dirt i'd go with the schwalbe g-one speed in 30mm. i actually like the 35mm better but given what you say about the bike the 30 seems like the best idea.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A winter bike/mudguard aficionado here. If it were mine I would want the capacity to run 32mm tires with fenders. SKS Lonboard in the the 35mm size (the skiniest size) will cover this size of tire nicely despite the indication that it is only good up to 25 or 28 mm. It may mean that you must warm the guards up with a hair dryer and open up the radius a bit if they sit close on top of the tire. If they are well clear, this extra step won't be necessary. It's a disc bike - for the extra weight you should get everything you want - room for big tires under small mudguards.

I should post a pic of my Synapse.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TonyM

by TonyM

I am using the SKS 35mm on my winter/ rain bike, a BMC RoadMachine, with 25mm tires. It could easily also handle some 28mm tires.

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products ... ard-black/

Here my rain/ winter bike with the fenders:

viewtopic.php?t=148608

Marin

by Marin

wintershade wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:24 pm
They can also use a custom gravel fork to get me up to 32c with fenders (34c+ without) but they caution this starts to change how the bike handles a bit as well as aesthetics, so advised me to think through things so I don’t “overbuild” the bike.

I’m not looking for a full on gravel bike. I’ve never ridden gravel. If I get into gravel, I’d probably build a Ti gravel bike and set it up differently (no fenders, no paint, different gearing, etc). I already have 5 bikes so what’s another.....
30mm tires with 35mm fenders:

28s will be 30mm wide on modern rims. If you have the clearance, get a 2nd wheelset with 32s or 34s and ride gravel in summer, a steel bike with fat tires is ideal and tons of fun!

jones1991

by jones1991

i have a kinesis 4s disc, currently has PDW city guards on and takes a 30mm schwalbe G one speed with plenty of clearance, rims are h plus son archetype set up tubeless

nachetetm

by nachetetm

I use 32mm flat metallic fenders in the winter. They are less problematic than the normal domed ones with wider-than-expected tires (30c real), and the lateral spray has never being problematic to me. Their flat shape makes them more prone to rattle though, compared with the domed ones.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

On my mudguard bike I use SKS 35mm mudguards with 30mm tyres underneath them (Schwalbe G-One 30mm). I had the frame built to take the Shimano long (49-57mm) reach calipers with the brake blocks at the bottom of the adjustment slot, and I got the builder to install threaded mudguard mounting points on the seatstay and chainstay bridges and underneath the fork crown, so that I can use 5mm dome head allen bolts at those points to fit the guards. The photo shows the bike with Conti 28mm tyres fitted, but I've since switched to the Schwalbes:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com