Question for SRM PC 8 users.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ichobi

by ichobi

Yes, after all these comments it's apparent that my unit has a battery problem. I didn't realize this initially because I bought this from a friend and I thought it was normal to have battery die in sleep mode in like 2-3 days or got it totally drained after a full day ride. (After all, that's the common battery life of most head units in the market).

I think i will send it back for service. If the battery life is that long then I wouldn't have any problem with setting the date and time since there will be no need anyhow.

Re: Calnago - PC8 has it quirks. I think most people like the no-nonsense crisp display and the horizontal view is easy to glance at data. Functionality wise however, the PC8 will never beat other unit but as said I can see why some people would prefer it over the other unit. I am using both the PC8 and the Edge 1000 as I also use Xert Garmin IQ apps which are indredibly useful for tracking real time performance. If I can have only one head unit, it will definitely not be a PC8.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Hi Cal

I too was 100% a Garmin guy and was sure that I could not be won over by the PC8. The set-up process, which is clunky (until the Device Agent kicks in), always on status and the press-two-buttons-simultaneously to save ride, reinforced my initial instinct. Before I had turned a pedal I was sure it would go on ebay, from whence it came.

However, on the bike, I have two key observations: the screen clarity is outstanding and when you are riding intervals the data that I want is where I want it, and somehow, you can tell that the data from the PM7 is refreshing more quickly than the Garmin. Ultimately the quirky interface has a solid Germanic logic to it, that is actually quite charming and the process at the end of the ride makes sense.

I feel that the GPS is weak, but given that I use it for power, rather than pace or distance intervals, this is a small price to pay. I ultimately understand how people come to love their SRM PC8.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, I get that... it’s a serious bit of training kit for sure, and it draws data from the PM multiple times per second, and I suppose if you were doing some serious interval stuff it’d be great. And of course for post analysis in WKO+ or something the more datapoints the better, but I ride for enjoyment primarily. Also, I’m old enough that I need reading glasses and despite it’s clarity the numbers are simply too small. The versatility of setting up the screens on the Garmin is superb and I love the modern niceties like receiving texts on screen while riding so you don’t have to wonder if you’re missing some important message or not and pull over for no reason. Or the “Incident Detection” feature which after having a serious crash I realize how valuable this would have been had I had it at the time. Especially if I crashed alone in an area with few passersby or if I was out of sight in a ditch somewhere.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bas

by bas

I love my PC8, setting up with device agent is super quick and easy.
When doing intervals out training its unbeatable for usability and data readability.

But finding mounts for it is becoming a pain. Just got a Giant Propel and there are no decent mounts that I can find. Thinking I may have to use some industrial double sided tape on the Garmin mount the bike comes with! They really need to make some more universal mounts for the head unit.

johnrho

by johnrho

bas wrote:I love my PC8, setting up with device agent is super quick and easy.
When doing intervals out training its unbeatable for usability and data readability.

But finding mounts for it is becoming a pain. Just got a Giant Propel and there are no decent mounts that I can find. Thinking I may have to use some industrial double sided tape on the Garmin mount the bike comes with! They really need to make some more universal mounts for the head unit.
Try Raceware Direct in the UK - they made a custom 3D printed mount with a GoPro mount for my Wilier Cento10Pro

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bas

by bas

Thanks for that, have sent them a message

bas

by bas

Thanks for that, have sent them a message