Vittoria Launch this month

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

g32ecs

by g32ecs

spartan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:05 pm
spot on. the angry asian mentioned it during a podcast. i hope Vittoria have developed manufacturing tech to mass produce AFFORDABLE tubeless tires.

euan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:57 pm
I think this means an agreed tubeless standard for road tyres has been formalised as hinted by Continental when they launched the GP5000
I love me some Vittorias, but here's some excellent Tubeless tires for "cheap"

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... prod160524

There's also single options for 23c

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

You have >£10k worth of bikes in your sig and you are worried about affordable tyres?
If you think they will develop new tech and use it to reduce the price of their flagship performance road tyre then dream on.
The biggest influence on the cost of new tyres will be sales volume. Large internet retailers competing to offer popular rubber at very low margins (e.g. GP4000s) make any tyre that is less popular and less heavily discounted look relatively expensive. I would expect the internet price of GP5000TL to dip below £50 given time.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Hutinson already got there with cheap tubeless tyres. They wear quickly though but last longer than a pro one which costs more.

If something is good it worth paying for.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Lets see if the corsa g+ can be updated to take on the gp5000, as the prior was close to the old gp4000. They need to be on top of that for road, as that is the market bread and butter, and conti just hit it out of the park.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Conti have not hit out of the park. I liek the GP5000TL but not as an all round tyre. it is a race tyre as it wear life is not long. Squared off in less than 1000 miles. I will run it till the wear markers are gone but they are half way gone. A dose of realism is needed here unless 1000 -1500 miles wear life is now considered excellent. A hutchinson will do that for less money.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dim

by dim

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:29 pm
Conti have not hit out of the park. I liek the GP5000TL but not as an all round tyre. it is a race tyre as it wear life is not long. Squared off in less than 1000 miles. I will run it till the wear markers are gone but they are half way gone. A dose of realism is needed here unless 2000 mile wear life is now considered excellent. A hutinson will do that for less money.
I use tyres until approx 2000km (1200 miles), and then they are knackered as they start wearing thin and puncture easily.... less km on tyres such as Specialized Turbo Cotton (theyn start puncturing from approx 1500km)

the only tyres that I have used that are good for many miles are Marathon Greenguard and Marathon Supreme (on my MTB)

I have not used Hutchinson sector 28 or the IRC x guard, but those will be slow compared to the others

I'm currently using Vittoria Rubino on my Trek Emonda, and they were brand new and came with the bike when I bought it at the end of December.... I have 1051km so far and will swop rear to front, but I'm guessing that they may be good for another 700km-800km tops before I bin them

I have IRC Aspite Pro wet fitted to my Giant and these will last more than 2000km .... hard wearing winter tyres and similar to Durano Plus but much better grip
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

corecction I had kmmile confsuion.

zefs

by zefs

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:29 pm
Conti have not hit out of the park. I liek the GP5000TL but not as an all round tyre. it is a race tyre as it wear life is not long. Squared off in less than 1000 miles. I will run it till the wear markers are gone but they are half way gone. A dose of realism is needed here unless 1000 -1500 miles wear life is now considered excellent. A hutchinson will do that for less money.
Well it's the fastest tire out there (not counting corsa speed), it's expected to have more wear.
The difference is other tires achieve it with reduction on puncture protection.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yes the conti are fast but that means it race tyre not an allrounder. not everyone wants the fastest tyre. I want to PBP this year. I might even ride to paris and back however thats 2000km in total. The conti and from past experience corsa's would be worn out by then or close to worn out.

Fast tyres are fine but the fastest is not always the best.

The hutchinson fusion 5 tyres are half the price of the conti's and the vittoria when they arrive yet last ~3000km for me but they are not as fast as the conti TL tyre. Trade off. The vittoria tyres I would expect will be more grippy than the conti but not as fast. They might and should rival the IRC formula Pro RBCC for grip but no vittoria wears well for me (my experience has been with numerous Corsa and Pave clinchers and tubs).

Having the fastest tyre makes sense for TT's (I will probably use the contis for long TT's) but in road racing having the fastest tyre is not really an edge. There are other factors which are more important. On a long distance ride like PBP or longer like TCR having the fastest tyre is pointless if you have to stop before the end to change them.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have ridden the GP5Ks in the dry, wet, snow/ice and my opinion of the compound is now pretty favorable. It’s hard for me to gauge how supple a tire is as I run low tubeless pressures anyway, but the grip is great. My initial complaints about wet grip have subsided as the tires have scuffed/worn off any residual intermediate materials from the molding process.

The tires are still much more difficult to mount than Hutchinson factory tires (Magic, Zipp, Pirelli included) so I’m not sure if I’ll stick with them or go back to Galactiks when my 4 GP5Ks are used up.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have to agree with THY, the conti GP5KTL is a pretty good tyre and it certainly has it place but its not the all rounder it wants to be. It's a race/TT tyre that I think is still better suited to the dry. Taking 1000 km for the wet grip to become pretty good is a bit too long for me.

Corsa control G+ next.

parajba

by parajba

I cannot find the minimum safe pressure for the 5000TL 25mm (I find them a bit harsh at 75PSI and want to see if it’s a pressure problem. I am 69kg, rims are CLX50 20.7 int and 29.4 ext, size 25mm).

I wonder if the Vittoria are more comfortable and why the 5000TL are so harsh.

zefs

by zefs

parajba wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:59 pm
I cannot find the minimum safe pressure for the 5000TL 25mm (I find them a bit harsh at 75PSI and want to see if it’s a pressure problem. I am 69kg, rims are CLX50 20.7 int and 29.4 ext, size 25mm).

Mavic app recommends 74-77 front rear for your setup (for comfort). The new Vittorias will be more comfortable since they are 320tpi.
What tire are you comparing the 5000TL and finding it harsh? I haven't tested them yet but I did find the old 4000s2 harsh overall so it's a factor for me as well, if the new ones are like the old I might opt for Vittoria (if they mount easy) or go back to Galactik's.

parajba

by parajba

zefs wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:29 am
parajba wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Mavic app recommends 74-77 front rear for your setup (for comfort). The new Vittorias will be more comfortable since they are 320tpi.
What tire are you comparing the 5000TL and finding it harsh? I haven't tested them yet but I did find the old 4000s2 harsh overall so it's a factor for me as well, if the new ones are like the old I might opt for Vittoria (if they mount easy) or go back to Galactik's.
Thanks for the reply. I am comparing them to Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm clincher (88PSI front, 92PSI rear) with Specialized turbo inner tubes. My old Vittoria were definitely comfier.

Grip is really good though, perhaps better than my old Vittoria. Speed...difficult to quantify and measure as there are so many factors.

Btw the 5000 TL are only 120TPI, that is a factor you are right. But I was hoping that the absence of an inner tube would balance things out.

Just got them in a brand new Venge custom build, so there are simply too many new things that will influence my overall speed...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The GP5K TL are actually 3x60tpi, but IMO that doesn’t matter so much in a tubeless tire with an already less flexible inner liner.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com