Colnago C64 R41 Stem - Matching Headset Cover

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ColnagoFanatic

by ColnagoFanatic

G'day all - I've gone down the path of a Colnago R41 stem for my C64. However, my frame came with the round headset cover which, aesthetically, looks not-quite-right.
I noticed that some of the C64s have the 'oval-shaped' headset cover & I'm hoping you'd be able to point me to where I could possibly source such a cover?
I've asked my local Colnago supplier (awaiting their email response at present). I couldn't find anything for sale on the web (but I have managed to source the spacers that match this cover).
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Colnagos past & present: CT-1, Dream, ex-C40, C50, C59, C64

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I'm in the same boat as you, waiting for this part for my Concept. Ordinary spacers just look goofy under R41 stems IMO, but the R41 spacer doesn't look right either when used with the standard conical Concept bearing covers as it's the wrong shape and the rear edges protrude.

Windwave (UK supplier) say they have a delivery due this week and I'm on the waiting list. For what this stem costs, the cover should really be included.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Mockenrue wrote:Windwave (UK supplier) say they have a delivery due this week and I'm on the waiting list. For what this stem costs, the cover should really be included.
^Totally. Shimano’s “aero” pro vibe stems are similar in that they have a proprietary cap that fits flush on the stem. They also have a separate spacer kit that includes one special spacer for the top that will allow you to use a normal round top cap if you prefer. But at least the one proprietary shaped top cap is included with the stem. I would have thought they’d do the same here. Shame.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ColnagoFanatic

by ColnagoFanatic

Mockenrue wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:10 pm
I'm in the same boat as you, waiting for this part for my Concept. Ordinary spacers just look goofy under R41 stems IMO, but the R41 spacer doesn't look right either when used with the standard conical Concept bearing covers as it's the wrong shape and the rear edges protrude.

Windwave (UK supplier) say they have a delivery due this week and I'm on the waiting list. For what this stem costs, the cover should really be included.
Thanks Mockenrue - my local dealer informed me this is not an orderable part for the C64 and is only supplied as part of the C64 disc frame (to be used with, I assume, the SR9 stem). Nevertheless, the initial response from Windwave (I queried whether the Concept headset cap would work (it won't)) sounded like they were able to source the C64 "teardrop" headset cap, but suggested I try my local dealer. I have since contacted them again to check if they're able to source the C64 "teardrop" headset cap for me...let's hope!

ColnagoFanatic

by ColnagoFanatic

Calnago wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:23 pm
Mockenrue wrote:Windwave (UK supplier) say they have a delivery due this week and I'm on the waiting list. For what this stem costs, the cover should really be included.
^Totally. Shimano’s “aero” pro vibe stems are similar in that they have a proprietary cap that fits flush on the stem. They also have a separate spacer kit that includes one special spacer for the top that will allow you to use a normal round top cap if you prefer. But at least the one proprietary shaped top cap is included with the stem. I would have thought they’d do the same here. Shame.
Agree - it's a bit of a shame. C'est la vie?

nismosr

by nismosr

Did you guys ever get your headset cap, spacers and top cap to match the shape of the r41 stem?
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

Perp

by Perp

nismosr

by nismosr

Perp wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:36 pm
You can order a full kit here:
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/colnago-r41-he ... -cover-kit
is that the whole entire kit ? headset cover , spacers and top cap ?
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Perp

by Perp

I did not order it, but it appears to have it all. I got a complete build for my Colnago so it came with everything