Garmin or Bryton??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Looking at two options, Garmin Edge 520 Plus (bundle) or Bryton Aero 60T (bundle).
Which would you pick?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

may not be a lot of help. But I sold my 520 and kept the 820 which developed the "blue Halo" fault, Garmin Australia replaced it under warranty. That was probably 10 months ago and I have been swapping between the 820 and a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt since, sold the 820 on EBay before the BH redeveloped and the touch screen just does not work like a IPhone. If i was to buy another it would be the 520 plus. Suggest you look at he Wahoo Bolt....... it just works

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Very timely; i just bought an Aro 60 to replace my Garmin 520 and plan to install it this weekend. If you are still interested I will report on performance,
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

KotP

by KotP

I've only ever used Garmin but by all accounts Bryton are budget pieces of junk that will result in you shopping for a Wahoo or Garmin 6 months from now.

There's a reason people are shocked Bryton are supplying Quickstep this year, but I suppose as a pro team they can dispose of and replace the units like they're 12sp Etap power meters.

LouisN

by LouisN

I have the Bryton 530 since last year ( 12 months exactly) and have nothing but good words for the unit.
The elastics are weird though...

Louis :)

KotP

by KotP

LouisN wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:30 am
I have the Bryton 530 since last year ( 12 months exactly) and have nothing but good words for the unit.
Apologies, not by all accounts then...

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Stendhal wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:30 am
Very timely; i just bought an Aro 60 to replace my Garmin 520 and plan to install it this weekend. If you are still interested I will report on performance,
That would be superb! Or even PM me of your findings!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

rides4beer

by rides4beer

beanbiken wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:20 am
Suggest you look at he Wahoo Bolt....... it just works

BB
+1, love my Bolt. :thumbup:

Grobar

by Grobar

I had a bryton 310, entry level, it worked flawlessly until I bought a PM. It always lost the signal of my Quarq and the tracking was totally wrong with absurd kms. Changed for Elemnt Bolt and had no issues with it, even the gps is very nice.

timmerrr

by timmerrr

I have a bryton 530 and have had no problems with it. Rode 5000 miles with it last year. Just used it this past weekend to track some snowboarding in a very remote location and had gps signal the whole time even in some pretty dense trees. The only thing I ever had an issue with was when I changed the battery on my stages power meter after it died mid ride I had to reconnect the power meter by searching for it the next time I rode (not a problem imo)
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

My Rider 310 has been rock solid for two years now-no issues with my stages power meter.

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Been using a Bryton rider 330 for almost 2 years now (last year alone I did ~27k's/1003 hours with it), works flawlessly, battery lasts forever, had 2 or 3 problems so far that were solved easily and have not bothered me again since, so perfect! The only reason I am changing it, is to buy a new one!!!! (aero 60 or 450, have not decided yet)

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Doesn't the Aero 60 have a new proprietary mount standard?

Stendhal

by Stendhal

bremerradkurier wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:54 pm
Doesn't the Aero 60 have a new proprietary mount standard?
Yes. One standard mounting unit comes with the computer, but you have to buy an aero mount separately if you want that (this is a mount that bolts to the underside of aero or integrated bars at the stem)

Initial reactions as compared to Garmin 520 after first two rides with my new Aero 60

* powers up much, much faster
*. GPS acquisition maybe a tad slower; I may run a side by side test to check. The weather here has been very cloudy.
*. numbers on the readout are clear but a different font
*. user manual is flawed (I used to write user manuals) in that it lacks a clear instruction for “here’s how to get to the all-important Main Menu screen.” All there is is a tiny note that one button, among other functions, goes to the menu.
*. passed the first “will it pick up a new sensor?” test with flying colors (eTap, although you have to set the unit to be ready to capture this on Settings)
*. battery life I predict will be much, much better.
*. one reason I think that is that the Aero has an always on battery indicator icon, very useful, not on the 520 (although one can set a data field), and so far it is still full power
*. very useful data field that I do not think is on the 520: ride time. The Bryton stops running ride time at lights and other stops. It beeps when it stops recording and then when it restarts. Very accurate.
*. a main reason I am trying it is a valid plus: you can configure the data screens on the app, then sync to the unit. Easy to do and it works
*. have not figured out yet how to continue a trip mileage and time when I turn off the unit for a coffee stop, then restart for the rest of the ride
*. the aero mount works well, I would make it shorter
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Thanks "Stenis",... hope you come back when you've used for awhile. I'm in no hurry buying on really. I have a cheap as s**t computer on my road bike.
Nothing more than speed and distance. On my gravel i have a VDO, HR, cadence etc. No GPS.
I mostly look for something easy, like here you are granny. I dislike complex computers. I woundn't even use them.
Perhaps i could do with a Topeak Pano or similar?
What do you think?
I have doubts i'll buy a power meter. I think it may actually be enough using that when it's trainer season.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com