Garmin or Bryton??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pedale

by pedale

Why not considering wahoo and lezyne? I have a bolt and gave my father a mega XL, we both are very satisfied with them. I have a garmin watch which is second to none in other sports I practice but feel that wahoo logic is better since I can configure everything one my phone and avoid the click fest on the unit. Lezyne usage is rougher, but my dad loves its big contraty screen.

If you have a tacx trainer (or plan to acquire one), garmin might be considered higher, maybe, considering latest news

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Why would a Garmin be ideal with a Tacx trainer?
I have Neo...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pedale

by pedale

Garmin just aquired tacx, they might push intégrations and specific features between them

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Aha, i also noted the possibilty to record a certain route to simulate on Zwift.

What makes me a bit weary about Garmin is the massive complaints i see around.
I have zero experience with smart computers. Basically i look for something simple that works.
Noted on the youtube clip from GPlama, that the Garmin rebooted when recorded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_X82njeO8I

I mean, that would be something that happens to me twice and then i wouldn't bother anymore.
I live in EU, in a small town, so i also would hope a GPS work around here.
Not the guy who travels. Mostly curious on riding around on different small roads and getting on track again.
Also would be nice to record as many routes as possible to ride at off season on zwift (as an example).

Tacx Neo + Zwift was simple to get on with. Tacx own app, i never got how to even start the program?
On Zwift you pair your Neo and some small settings possible. Then just ride.
Would be nice to be able to upload some recorded routes to use like this.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

beanbiken

by beanbiken

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:33 am

What makes me a bit weary about Garmin is the massive complaints i see around.
yep, fix one bug and create a dozen new ones. I have owned 3 Garmin bike computers but currently have none. The 500 was the most reliable. Also have a Garmin GPS for my car but fortunately my current car has built in navigation as it was a royal PITA also. If it is Bryton or Garmin I would be trying the Bryton, less costly and seems to be treasonable feedback. I have the Wahoo Bolt and as mentioned earlier it's not perfect but "it just works"

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

Neddysmith

by Neddysmith

I have had a Rider 310 for the past 2yrs and it has worked flawlessly, battery life is amazing, connects without issue to both Cadence/speed sensor and HRM. During this time a few mates running Garmin 520 have had issues with GPS drop outs, battery faults etc. All stats from rides are comparable with other running Garmins.

Based on experience i'd by a Bryton again, although, i have heard great things about the Wahoo.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Negative critiques have concerned me when it comes to Garmin. I might be weird, but Wahoo feels like i should use a Wahoo trainer,.. which i don't.
I ordered Bryton Aero 60T. What worries me would be the mapping/ GPS. Never used one and i would hate a GPS that feels like crap.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

sokim

by sokim

After I had been through hard time touching crappy edge 510 touch panels, 520 with button is much better.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I have a 520 and I'd like to "upgrade" to a 130. Smaller, power efficient, lighter. All I need. Check it out.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Well, i already ordered Bryton Aero 60T, so no Garmin whatever model.
BRYTON-Aero-60t-2019-nero_2059.jpg
The not so good part, a new mount mechanism which makes standard (Garmin) mechanism impossible :-(
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

zefs

by zefs

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:07 pm
Negative critiques have concerned me when it comes to Garmin. I might be weird, but Wahoo feels like i should use a Wahoo trainer,.. which i don't.
I ordered Bryton Aero 60T. What worries me would be the mapping/ GPS. Never used one and i would hate a GPS that feels like crap.
The bryton's don't have route mapping on the go, you need to transfer the gpx file (or use their route planning site which isn't that good) on the unit and then follow the track and if you turn on another road it displays that you are off but doesn't re-route. Turn by turn is only available if you use their site I think, but maybe ridewithgps.com routes also work. Just mentioning it in case you need better mapping features on the go.
I think you can try their route planning to see if it works for you: https://active.brytonsport.com/plantripRoute (there is no dragging or choosing the best route for bicycles so you need to add more points manually compared to strava).
Last edited by zefs on Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

fxx

by fxx

wheelsONfire wrote:Well, i already ordered Bryton Aero 60T, so no Garmin whatever model.
BRYTON-Aero-60t-2019-nero_2059.jpg
The not so good part, a new mount mechanism which makes standard (Garmin) mechanism impossible :-(
You should get the rider 450 for better compatability.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

bllx

by bllx

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:10 am
I have a 520 and I'd like to "upgrade" to a 130. Smaller, power efficient, lighter. All I need. Check it out.
I have just replaced my 510, which crashed and forgot the ride data to often, with a 130. Happy overall, but missing some power data fields (mostly 10s and 30s average), but IQ-apps can fix that somewhat.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

zefs wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:25 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:07 pm
The bryton's don't have route mapping on the go, you need to transfer the gpx file (or use their route planning site which isn't that good) on the unit and then follow the track and if you turn on another road it displays that you are off but doesn't re-route. Turn by turn is only available if you use their site I think, but maybe ridewithgps.com routes also work. Just mentioning it in case you need better mapping features on the go.
I think you can try their route planning to see if it works for you: https://active.brytonsport.com/plantripRoute (there is no dragging or choosing the best route for bicycles so you need to add more points manually compared to strava).
So here Garmin is a better choice?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zefs

by zefs

Garmin 520 plus needs external file to work as well but has re-route available based on this review:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/han ... pping.html