When will you buy eTap AXS?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

The question is when...?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:50 am

Right NOW!
3%
Soon, when I get a better deal.
3%
April, when Force eTap AXS would appear.
6%
Want it, but no plan.
16%
My current groupset is just fine.
69%
Never! Single Speed FTW!
2%

Total votes: 287

DaveS

by DaveS

gwerziou wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:35 pm
DaveS wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:53 pm

I am using a SRAM force 12 chain, just as an experiment.
This is interesting - is it the ‘flat top’ chain? Does it work?
Yes, it's the flat top axs chain. It works just fine. As posted earlier, the rollers of the axs chain are .006 inch larger than most chains. The design adheres to a #40 chain, while others are #41 chains. Both have the same 1/2 inch pitch.

zinedrei

by zinedrei

Carbon Ti replied to my email query and said they just released Force compatible chainrings in Eurobike.
anyone went and has some pics?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

zinedrei wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:23 am
Carbon Ti replied to my email query and said they just released Force compatible chainrings in Eurobike.
I believe one of the gcn videos show the rings, but in the price sheet they list the part numbers.
http://www.carbon-ti.com/pricelist/Carb ... l_2019.pdf

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

zinedrei wrote:
More info on the Carbon TI AXS compatible rings:
https://bikerumor.com/2019/09/10/carbon ... xd-driver/

zinedrei

by zinedrei

yinzerniner wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:06 pm
zinedrei wrote:
More info on the Carbon TI AXS compatible rings:
https://bikerumor.com/2019/09/10/carbon ... xd-driver/
thanks. seems i misunderstood their initial reply.
these AXS compatible chainrings are not for SRAM AXS cranks like Red & Force AXS, instead, they're for other brands to make them work with AXS

pmprego

by pmprego

Is there any eram axs compatible cassette that is 12 speed but only goes down to 11t? There doesn't seem to be a lot if any sram axs cassette alternatives.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

pmprego wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:20 pm
Is there any eram axs compatible cassette that is 12 speed but only goes down to 11t? There doesn't seem to be a lot if any sram axs cassette alternatives.
Funny that you ask, that would be my choice to if i did ride AXS.
If you can splash a big amount, Rotor have 11-36 which could work with Wolf tooth Road link.
Otherwise, google around
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

pmprego

by pmprego

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:31 pm
pmprego wrote:
If you can splash a big amount, Rotor have 11-36 which could work with Wolf tooth Road link.
Otherwise, google around
I searched and only found references to rotor 12 speed but nothing specifically made with axs in mind. I guess it'll come out over time.

kundica

by kundica

wheelsONfire wrote:
pmprego wrote:
Otherwise, google around
Rotor's 12 speed cassettes don't work with the flattop chain and the pulleys on the Force/Red AXS derailleurs only fit the flattop. The Eagle AXS drailleur can be run in a 1x setup with 11-39t and larger(I've run this way for months now) but the 11-36t is too small. Garbaruk just released a cage for the Force AXS derailleur that allows up to 42t(52t with the included extender). I installed it last night without the extender and it works quite well with the Rotor 11-39 and a KMC 12 speed chain.

I don't know if it works in a 2x setup since I don't have a front derailleur to test but I suspect it's only a matter of time until someone else tests.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Emotionally I want to build an AXS build, but logically I keep finding reasons to talk myself out of it.

What are most appealing to me of AXS:
1. Getting that 5.0 gear ratio (50x10T).
2. Travel bike.

But I can't justify it with just these two use cases. I hear of concerns with drivetrain efficiency with the 10T and some riders able to distinctly feel the drivetrain losses. But don't know how real that is without personal experience.

Secondly, the cableless drivetrain in theory might help with bike breakdown/rebuild. But in practice I don't know how much travel friction this would really reduce, especially with an Airport Ninja that only requires removal of stem+bar.

Anyone have experience traveling with eTap and non-eTap bikes and can comment? Opinions on the 10T cog?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It would be nice if Sram comes out with a cassette that starts with a 11T. Giving people more choices is a good thing.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

colagreek

by colagreek

kundica wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:02 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
pmprego wrote:
Otherwise, google around
Rotor's 12 speed cassettes don't work with the flattop chain and the pulleys on the Force/Red AXS derailleurs only fit the flattop. The Eagle AXS drailleur can be run in a 1x setup with 11-39t and larger(I've run this way for months now) but the 11-36t is too small. Garbaruk just released a cage for the Force AXS derailleur that allows up to 42t(52t with the included extender). I installed it last night without the extender and it works quite well with the Rotor 11-39 and a KMC 12 speed chain.

I don't know if it works in a 2x setup since I don't have a front derailleur to test but I suspect it's only a matter of time until someone else tests.
Just place my order with Garbaruk, good to hear you have had a positive experience so far. Any further thoughts on this setup?

Unniti

by Unniti

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:26 am
It would be nice if Sram comes out with a cassette that starts with a 11T. Giving people more choices is a good thing.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk
But that would mean going back on their marketing hype about the 10t and smaller chainrings.

kundica

by kundica

colagreek wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:59 pm
Just place my order with Garbaruk, good to hear you have had a positive experience so far. Any further thoughts on this setup?
Yeah. I put in 41 miles Saturday, mostly gravel, and very pleased with the result. The 39t was a small for Eagle so shifting was good, but sometimes a little dirty.
Shifting is super solid with Garbaruk's Force AXS cage. This solution is cheaper than going Eagle for those interested in running a 1x setup for road or gravel and if you run a cassette like me, you'll have much tighter gearing. It's also 80g lighter than Eagle, 70g with the extender. Only downside is that it makes a little noise in the extreme gears(11t and 39t), but only on the road. I think it's a combination of the cage being aluminum vs carbon and the Orbit fluid damper instead of the clutch in the Eagle version. Might shorten 1 link set and see if it helps. I still need to test the cage/extender with my 50t wide range cassette but if it's just as clean I'll definitely go this route over running Eagle.

I chatted with Garbaruk this morning to let them know that the Force AXS derailleur needs a special tool to remove/replace the cage. Anyone who has added a Ceramicspeed pulley/cage to AXS knows about this since the tools is included in the kit. Garbaruk said they used a flathead screwdriver, which I guess you "can" use but I'd rather have the tool. A pro shop down the street hooked me up with the tool. Garbaruk also confirmed they're releasing two cassettes they consider to be for "road". One will be 10-42t 12 speed and the other 11-42t 11 speed.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I haven’t been very happy with the noise from my rear cassette and decided to order a Red cassette. I prefer the look of the black force, but was silence is more important to me. Saved some weight and with nothing else changed, the noise is significantly reduced. Now all I can hear is the slight hum of the chain. Overall satisfied with the upgrade, but not happy that I had too.
IMG_1260.JPEG
IMG_1261.JPEG
IMG_1263.JPEG
Ride fast Take chances

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com