When will you buy eTap AXS?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

The question is when...?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:50 am

Right NOW!
3%
Soon, when I get a better deal.
3%
April, when Force eTap AXS would appear.
6%
Want it, but no plan.
16%
My current groupset is just fine.
69%
Never! Single Speed FTW!
2%

Total votes: 287

NickJHP

by NickJHP

When eTap 12s came out, I bought my 2nd 11s groupset from Tweeks Cycles. They had the best price I could find.

https://www.tweekscycles.com/us/sram-et ... t-2004904/

zinedrei

by zinedrei

thank you.
saw other sites with around the same pricepoint that's why i opted to go for Force AXS instead since my LBS offered the complete gs including crank, cassette etc for around 2.1k usd. one of those times wherein the LBS actually has something cheaper than the internet :D

only downside is the 2 month waiting period since they don't have the 165 crank in stock.

also considering the powermeter spider since they sell it below the online SRP :D

by Weenie

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

I think eTap is better then eTap AXS

zinedrei

by zinedrei

rexyi1990 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:14 am
I think eTap is better then eTap AXS
because of lighter weight?

DVR

by DVR

I have both, switch between bikes daily. Do not notice one is better over the other. Both are equally good.
Cannondale SuperSix EVO HM eTap
Cannondale SuperSix EVO HM Disc Ultegra
Cannondale SystemSix eTap AXS
Colnago C60 eTap
Pinarello Dogma F8 eTap

Methodical

by Methodical

zinedrei wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:28 am
thank you.
saw other sites with around the same pricepoint that's why i opted to go for Force AXS instead since my LBS offered the complete gs including crank, cassette etc for around 2.1k usd. one of those times wherein the LBS actually has something cheaper than the internet :D

only downside is the 2 month waiting period since they don't have the 165 crank in stock.

also considering the powermeter spider since they sell it below the online SRP :D
Sounds like a good deal for you.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Trek Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg
'12 Trek Madone (Black) - 6.96kg
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

Mirco

by Mirco

We are running 2 Red AXS HRD groupsets. The first one by now 6800km without any problems. The second 800km also without any problems.

schlafen

by schlafen

I'm considering going 1x Red AXS for my road bike. I have been researching the updated 1x capabilities and whatnot and people that use it swear that it is miles better than previous 1x options.

Also with the new ratios they claim that a front derailleur is not really needed.
Anyone who is running 1x AXS on a road bike care to chime in.

I'm interested for road use only not cx or other disciplines, also I'm not racing.
I assume finish and materials aside, Force AXS 1x would behave the same.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

1X is a very situational group. I need have a 10/33x33/48 setup with 480% range and it is just barely enough. I was one of the early adopters of 1x on mountain bikes and with the new 12 speed there are no compromises, it's just better in every way. 1X11 was worth it, but lacked enough range.

For flat areas 1x could be great, but I like small jumps between gears and climb 10-mile-long mountains.

sandbox

by sandbox

Agree 100%. I have a 48t 1x on my bike currently, but would be nice to have the 10 for that gearset. Hence why Im looking to make the jump to AXS. That and the 11spd Shimano will be worthless in 12-months when it goes to 12-speed and microspline on the road.

morrisond

by morrisond

I like the Idea of Wireless - but how much drag does that big a** Rear Derailluer cause? I have never seem anything so bulky on a bike - it sticks out like a sore thumb.

It probably negates all the aero gains on the latest aero bikes (assuming the aero bike can take mechanical cables internal as well), especially if you are running it 2x with that bulky FD as well.

Mirco

by Mirco

morrisond wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:23 pm
I like the Idea of Wireless - but how much drag does that big a** Rear Derailluer cause? I have never seem anything so bulky on a bike - it sticks out like a sore thumb.
I think less than a jersey or aerosuit which does not fit to your body.

citrusparty

by citrusparty

morrisond wrote:I like the Idea of Wireless - but how much drag does that big a** Rear Derailluer cause? I have never seem anything so bulky on a bike - it sticks out like a sore thumb.

It probably negates all the aero gains on the latest aero bikes (assuming the aero bike can take mechanical cables internal as well), especially if you are running it 2x with that bulky FD as well.
I disagree, the air is massively disturbed by the time it hits the RD, it isn't enough to negate the benefits of an aero bike

zinedrei

by zinedrei

morrisond wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:23 pm

1- of course it will stick out. i dont think there is anything like AXS that has the battery in the RD as well. you'll then appreciate this when you need to charge it. no need to have the bike near the socket like Di2 :D

2 - insignificant aero loss since the footprint is but a small percentage of the other components that has a more direct impact to drag ie rider, frame/cockpit and wheels

by Weenie

schlafen

by schlafen

The wiring is what puts me off Di2.
If Shimano would go wireless, I'd be all over it.
Sram was never first choice for me.

I'm 5'11", 85kg, gym rat.
The bike is a traditional geometry Ti Moda Motif, rim brake.

Aero is a non issue for me. I ride for fun.

Cross chaining on a 1x is an issue.
Whoever switched to 1x AXS please give imput on how bad the cross chaining is, as it is supposed to be resolved for the most part.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk