When will you buy eTap AXS?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

The question is when...?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:50 am

Right NOW!
3%
Soon, when I get a better deal.
3%
April, when Force eTap AXS would appear.
6%
Want it, but no plan.
16%
My current groupset is just fine.
69%
Never! Single Speed FTW!
2%

Total votes: 287

karmaz

by karmaz

Ritxis wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:01 am
stringbean wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:44 am
Can anyone confirm if there is any chance of some sort of update that will be made available for the 11sp shifters to make them work with 12 sp?
Should be pretty easy to do.
It's not possible.....nor mechanically (engine of derailleur) nor for the electronics (there are changes in it)
It's possible as they still use the same wireless protocol as 11sp ETAP for shifting. But they've stated explicitly that they don't want to do it as it "would be complicated" and there is no bluetooth support which would ruin the AXS experience, or something.

Simply put, not enough dollars in making it backwards compatible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

R1Alvin

by R1Alvin

It's appealing, the thought of wireless tech, but I am patiently waiting to see what Shimano comes up with in terms of wireless Di2 for road.

MTB is another animal- Now here, I am interested because my Enduro bike already has the mechanical XX1 Eagle grouppo on it. I am waiting for SRAM to release the components pricing individually vice the entire 2,000 dollar drivetrain since I dont need the cassette and cranks. I'll assume the rear deraillure and paddle shifter will be in the 1k price range?

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Never. To many design faults in it, which make it very expensive to maintain. Expensive cassettes, the idiot one-piece PM; not for me and I hope nobody will buy it. Show them that they have gone to far.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

I think that’s a great analogy 3Pio. I wonder at what point the cycling industry gets oversaturated with technology and then everyone pines for ‘analogue’ set ups aka mechanical. Pricing is also out of control. Pretty soon you can buy a Ducati for less than a road bike.
3Pio wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:44 pm
Definetely Cycling companys learn things from HiFi industry (with their insane pricing, and marketing )..

Let answer the question in this topis.. Im really glad that i bought again Campy Record 11s mechanical (so on both bikes exactly the same groupset), and i would buy eTap AXS NEVER!!!

robertbb

by robertbb

MiddMan wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:29 pm
I think that’s a great analogy 3Pio. I wonder at what point the cycling industry gets oversaturated with technology and then everyone pines for ‘analogue’ set ups aka mechanical. Pricing is also out of control. Pretty soon you can buy a Ducati for less than a road bike.

100% this

Wookski

by Wookski

Daniel1975 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:43 pm
Never. To many design faults in it, which make it very expensive to maintain. Expensive cassettes, the idiot one-piece PM; not for me and I hope nobody will buy it. Show them that they have gone to far.
Nobody is forcing you to buy it, support what you like and ignore what you don’t. Whether or not the groupset is successful shouldn’t matter.

The weirdest thing is that we have several pages dedicated to the groupset with no mention of weight? Is this weightweenies?

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Welcome to the wonderful world of CAD15K$ bikes and now $5k groupsets... FML

Wookski

by Wookski

Bordcla wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:18 am
Super Record EPS has been there for years :noidea:

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Wookski wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:14 am
The weirdest thing is that we have several pages dedicated to the groupset with no mention of weight? Is this weightweenies?
This was posted in the main SRAM 2019? thread:
spartan wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:58 am
ok someone had the intelligence to put the new sram parts on the scales of truth

claimed

real weight. hydro shifters are ultegra weight but super record price :twisted: . impressive light weight on the chainset but unusable on non etap axs group.

next gen Shimano should concentrate on HG+,improved disc brakes to eliminate noise and lighter weight. xtr has magnesium disc brakes.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Etap axs looks interesting. I would probably get it if it came on a new bike. I suspect it may be the only way to get it at a reasonable price.

But i would not touch it until i see the force etap offering.

Darceking

by Darceking

Just put a deposit down on a new S-Works Venge. Wont be here until April but am looking forward to seeing what its all about. I suspect its going to be a game changer.

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Wookski wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:01 am
Bordcla wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:18 am
Super Record EPS has been there for years :noidea:
Not a big success and with normal Record below it.

Wookski

by Wookski

Daniel1975 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:59 am

Not a big success and with normal Record below it.
And how does that change the fact that we are already in the world of $5K groupsets? But thank you for your wonderful contribution to this thread :lol:

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

I have no need for a cassette that starts with a 11t cog. Wake me when 12 speed cassettes starting with a 14t become available.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

DutchMountains wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:56 am
I have no need for a cassette that starts with a 11t cog. Wake me when 12 speed cassettes starting with a 14t become available.
If you want that, Shimano Ultegra is your only option for a cassette. 14-28 is on offer there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com