When will you buy eTap AXS?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

The question is when...?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:50 am

Right NOW!
3%
Soon, when I get a better deal.
3%
April, when Force eTap AXS would appear.
6%
Want it, but no plan.
16%
My current groupset is just fine.
69%
Never! Single Speed FTW!
2%

Total votes: 287

Fideliojbc

by Fideliojbc

Sorry I did not explain myself right. The chain rubs the inside of the derailleur cage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

naavt

by naavt

Never! And it's not because I ride single speed. It's just because I've already have owned one and seen how much garbage it is. Not only the groupset but every bit of aftersales warranty and customer service! I'm also aware that are probably thousands happy owners. To each their own.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

A common problem is failing to notice that the FD rotated out of alignment when the clamp bolt was fully tightened. Be sure that the marks on the cage remain parallel to the big ring. Then it should be easy to adjust the limit screw to prevent contact with the chain. I've never used a wedge either. Someone posted that the wedge was the only thing keeping their FD aligned. That's not how it's supposed to be used.

Fideliojbc

by Fideliojbc

DaveS wrote:A common problem is failing to notice that the FD rotated out of alignment when the clamp bolt was fully tightened. Be sure that the marks on the cage remain parallel to the big ring. Then it should be easy to adjust the limit screw to prevent contact with the chain. I've never used a wedge either. Someone posted that the wedge was the only thing keeping their FD aligned. That's not how it's supposed to be used.
Thanks, I will try again today. That may be the problem, to make sure the white lines are aligned with the big ring. My sight is not that accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODC

by ODC

People here that changed their SRAM AXS, on the road bike, from a 2x setup to an 1x setup?
I’m in doubt between 1x and 2x for my new S-works Aethos. I live in Flanders (Belgium) so it aren’t to biggest hills here. My 3 biggest reasons to go 1x is lower weight, cleaner look and normally no chain drops.
Maybe 2 questions from my side about the 1x setup:
- Does a 1x setup make more noise? Especially in more extreme gears (for example 46-10 or 46-28/33).
- Did you use a chain guide for preventing chain drops? With the cobblestones here i wanna install a chain guide if i would go 1x.

If you have a SRAM AXS 1x setup please let me know your experience with it.

HBike

by HBike

ODC wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:34 pm
People here that changed their SRAM AXS, on the road bike, from a 2x setup to an 1x setup?
I’m in doubt between 1x and 2x for my new S-works Aethos. I live in Flanders (Belgium) so it aren’t to biggest hills here. My 3 biggest reasons to go 1x is lower weight, cleaner look and normally no chain drops.
- Does a 1x setup make more noise? Especially in more extreme gears (for example 46-10 or 46-28/33).
- Did you use a chain guide for preventing chain drops? With the cobblestones here i wanna install a chain guide if i would go 1x.

I have 2by on the race bike (Ultegra Di2 8100) and Sram 1by on the gravel/commuter (SRAM force brake+levers + Eagle X01 cranks, dereilleur and cassette 10-50). Both are great. SRAM is super easy to set up and is not noisy at all in this setup. GX cassette was noisier in the smallest cogs, however, so cassette is important.
So far I would rate both similar in this setup regarding noise, with a slight edge to the Sram. Takes a few hundred kilometers to wear stuff in of course.
Last edited by HBike on Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

req110

by req110

ODC wrote:
I’m in doubt between 1x and 2x for my new S-works Aethos
If you have road bike and in doubt, then you have to go for 2x. Because it provides much smoother step in gearing (in case you want to keep same range). Or provides you with range (in case you want smoother steps in gearing). There is no scenario when you have 2x12 and missing "some gear" or some smoother steps (to get you to optimal cadence) of 1x12 setup.

If you have gravel bike, i am all for 1x12.
ODC wrote:
I live in Flanders (Belgium) so it aren’t to biggest hills here
But if you go for cycling vacation in Alps, you may be in rush to get some easier gears.
You probably chose 46T + 10-33 or 10-28 right?
ODC wrote:
1x is lower weight
And provides less features. Like tubeless vs tubular.
ODC wrote:
no chain drops
If you tune your 2x12, and use chain catcher, you won't have those anyway.
ODC wrote:
cleaner look
Cleaner yes, but 2x12 usually looks more natural.
ODC wrote:
Does a 1x setup make more noise
You should expect that, especially when the cassette and chain gets dirty, on easiest gears there will be bit more noise than 2x12.
ODC wrote:
Did you use a chain guide for preventing chain drops
I had 1x12 40T 10-44 on gravel bike, no chain guide was needed any any gravel or lightXC track.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

ODC wrote:

Currently 8 bikes with 1x12 AXS systems.

If set up correctly there is no additional noise, and with the correct chainring probably less noise than most x2 systems.

None of my x1 bikes have chain guides and I'm absolutely hammering KOMS on crappy Irish backroads, and farm tracks.
I once had a chain drop but that way due to a B screw that was a touch too loose. After that, the same bike has never dropped a chain.

I usually use force or Red cranks with direct mount chainrings. Mostly Stone or Alugear. The cranks are perfectly centred to the frame and the chainrings are landing central to the cassette so no extreme angles. This is probably why my set ups are so quiet.

This is a new build, I did a test ride today to work out how many spacers I could remove before chopping the steerer.
The 48 Alugear chainring with 10-36 cassette.

Just an FYI. I'm not biased to X1 systems. But much of the hate come from people who haven't tried them or don't live in areas where they're useable. If it's flat a 10-33 would be fine.