When will you buy eTap AXS?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

The question is when...?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:50 am

Right NOW!
3%
Soon, when I get a better deal.
3%
April, when Force eTap AXS would appear.
6%
Want it, but no plan.
16%
My current groupset is just fine.
69%
Never! Single Speed FTW!
2%

Total votes: 287

splzd

by splzd

jlok wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:40 am
I wish there's a XG-1290 10-36, the original all-black Force cassette is noisier than Red...
That has gotten way better with the newer, silver version of the XG-1270, imho.

jlok

by jlok

splzd wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:25 pm
jlok wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:40 am
I wish there's a XG-1290 10-36, the original all-black Force cassette is noisier than Red...
That has gotten way better with the newer, silver version of the XG-1270, imho.
Yes I got the 10-28 silver 1270. There's an additional polymer ring at the 2nd largest cog to dampen the noise, but still inferior to my 10-33 1290.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

takolino

by takolino

I just built up my first AXS on a Crux 1x setup with Shimano HG+ chain and ethirteen 945 cassette. Wow, have I been missing out! It’s better in several ways. I was running mechanical 12x1 with Sram levers and Ratio ratchet mod on a 9-46 cassette so not much difference in range or jumps but it was never as crisp and precise as I wanted it to be. The AXS setup is on another level. It rivals the Di2 on my other bike shifting wise but the build and tune experience is so advanced. I’ve built ETAP bikes and they are indeed great for quick builds but the addition of 12s and mobile app as well as the simplified interchangeability make it worth the upgrade imo.

Perhaps many of you already know this amazing feature but here goes. The AXS app is a game changer. It’s easy enough to get a drivetrain to shift well on a stand but it often doesn’t shift as well on the road/trail. The app allows you to micro adjust as you ride and shift which is quite advanced. A phone holder on the bars makes this even easier. You can tap on the screen up or down in micro increments and work out the poor shifting. Sometimes, you fix one sluggish shift and it happens elsewhere on the cassette. The AXS app lets you shift up and down the entire cassette to tune out any poor shifting on the fly. It’s easy and only takes a few minutes. When I did this the other day, my mind was blown!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

takolino wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:18 pm
I just built up my first AXS on a Crux 1x setup with Shimano HG+ chain and ethirteen 945 cassette. Wow, have I been missing out! It’s better in several ways. I was running mechanical 12x1 with Sram levers and Ratio ratchet mod on a 9-46 cassette so not much difference in range or jumps but it was never as crisp and precise as I wanted it to be. The AXS setup is on another level. It rivals the Di2 on my other bike shifting wise but the build and tune experience is so advanced. I’ve built ETAP bikes and they are indeed great for quick builds but the addition of 12s and mobile app as well as the simplified interchangeability make it worth the upgrade imo.

Perhaps many of you already know this amazing feature but here goes. The AXS app is a game changer. It’s easy enough to get a drivetrain to shift well on a stand but it often doesn’t shift as well on the road/trail. The app allows you to micro adjust as you ride and shift which is quite advanced. A phone holder on the bars makes this even easier. You can tap on the screen up or down in micro increments and work out the poor shifting. Sometimes, you fix one sluggish shift and it happens elsewhere on the cassette. The AXS app lets you shift up and down the entire cassette to tune out any poor shifting on the fly. It’s easy and only takes a few minutes. When I did this the other day, my mind was blown!

SRAM is so far ahead of Shimano for gravel/cx and mountain, it's not even close.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Actually have the AXS eagle stuff on my gravel bike and it's nice but my trail bike just takes too much abuse for me to consider it. Blowing up that derailluer would seriously bum me out.

splzd

by splzd

takolino wrote:
The app allows you to micro adjust as you ride and shift which is quite advanced.
You can micro-adjust the RD using the AXS-buttons on the shifters, no need to use the phone app while riding.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Has probably been answered a million times already:
SRAM Axs Max RD (10-28 to 10-36 cassette), does it work with a 10-44 cassette? I have an OSPW if that helps at all...
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

I usually ride an SL7 with Di2, but I have an older frame with no allowance for internal routing that I have assigned to beater/crit duty. I'm too spoiled by Di2 to go back to mechanical though.

I just bought Rival AXS front and rear mechs and will try to get this set up to play nice with Ultegra 8000 11s rings, an 8100 Cassette, and a 12s 8100 chain.

Fingers crossed. Still hunting for axs rim shifters at a decent price (yeah right).

HBike

by HBike

takolino wrote:

You can do this with force or red axs levers, too, without having to use the app. Just press the button on the lever and move the lever. Right and left lever use will microadjust up and down. You can do this without even having to look down and taking away your hands from the bars.

splzd

by splzd

HBike wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:49 am
You can do this with force or red axs levers, too, without having to use the app. Just press the button on the lever and move the lever. Right and left lever use will microadjust up and down. You can do this without even having to look down and taking away your hands from the bars.
Not only Red and Force, but Rival too!

takolino

by takolino

Yeah, I know. I've had etap before. I can never remember how to micro adjust etap or di2 since I usually set and forget. If you’re like me, the app is great since it’s pretty straightforward, unlike e-tube (shimano). Additionally, the app gives you visual feedback and a number so you know where in the range of adjustments you are. I accidentally discovered this because I was out on a ride and didn’t have cell coverage to google it. It's just an additional option to micro adjust. Manual adjust is perfectly fine if you already know how to do it. I've still yet to try the additional features like sequential and auto fd which I'm not sure if it was available on the older etap.

HBike

by HBike

splzd wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:25 am
HBike wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:49 am
Not only Red and Force, but Rival too!
Correct. I use 1by Force mixed with X01 Eagle on my Salsa Cutthroat. Works great.
But I will likely choose Ultegra Di2 on my new road bike. Ergonomics is one (personal) reason. Rear and front dereilleur issues as well as price (Scott increased the Addict RC price with force by 1000 Euros) will make me use Shimano. I thought FD issues were rare, but met riders confirming having issues with chain drop regularly . Another issues is rear dereilleur stopping to function properly, mostly with Red, though. But I think this to be a minor issue compared to FD.

So far my X01/Force works great. I think the MTB Sram groups work great and much more reliable than the road group sets.

kervelo

by kervelo

What is your experience of the durability between xg-1270 (the silver one) and the xg-1290? Does the one-piece machining of xg-1290 increase durability or is it done just for decreasing the weight?

Fideliojbc

by Fideliojbc

Any trick to install and set up the Red AXS front derailleur? After two times installing it following the owner manual steps I am not able to avoid the chain rubbing inside the derailleur cage in big ring and big cog position. I know that is not an usual combination but t shouldn’t rub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Fideliojbc on Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

X5SAE

by X5SAE

Fideliojbc wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:17 pm
Any trick to install and set up the Red AXS front derailleur? After two times installing it following the owner manual steps I am not able to avoid rubbing in big ring and big cog position. I know that is not an usual combination but t shouldn’t rub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where does it rub? Is it touching the inside of the crank arm?

What crank do you have installed?
Road
Cube Agree C:62 SLT 2021 (frame+fork) DA 9270 6.9x kg - ride-ready 7.25 kg w/pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo mount

Gravel
Velobuild GF-002 Force AXS 7.5 kg, ride-ready 7.775 kg w/200 ml Stan‘s, pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo/Cateye mounts