Had a bike fit ,how long needed to confirm fit?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

zefs wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:57 am
dim wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 pm
why wait till next season? .... lower your saddle by 30mm and go for a 100 mile ride with lots of hills then come back and tell us your thoughts ....
If you want to try a lower or higher saddle height you don't go 30mm. The optimal max knee angle is ~30-40 degrees and it's about 1mm per degree so if you are at 35 and want to try lower or higher range you would do a 5mm change in saddle height.

Not to confuse the topic starter as a bigger change was needed for him since he could be out of that range along with the hamstring issue.
bikeboy1tr wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:23 am
I tried to do this a few years ago and did it in small increments with moving the cleats rearward towards the centre of my shoe and lowering the seat height proportionally and I had nothing but knee pain both left and right. I did this over a two week period to no avail before I aborted the whole ideal. Moved my cleats forward again and no more knee pain. It doesnt work for everyone well at least not myself.
When you move the cleat back the foot goes forward, so if you were already too close on the bottom bracket it probably put you too much forward and your knees were getting more strain (like in TT position). That is why the saddle needs to be in the correct position (height/fore aft), everything works together.
I run the nose of my seat at 95mm behind the BB so when I moved the seat down it did move the seat forward naturally through the seat tube angle but not enough to make a huge difference. I did check my knee position over the pedal and it appeared to be okay. A small change but nothing drastic. I dont like my seat height to low but I also try to avoid having my hips rock from to high. If my seat is to high I will get pains behind the knee from reaching (overextending).
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

zefs

by zefs

Then you did the correct adjustment I am guessing. I think the correct measurement for saddle setback (if you want to transfer it to another bike etc.) is to measure from BB to the widest part of the saddle (which is were the sitbones go) rather than the tip of the saddle since saddles have different lengths and shapes. Even wrong measurements could have an impact, with one being the inseam height which is supposed to be measured from the floor to the sitbone (and not soft tissue).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com