11 speed chainset on 9 speed Sora?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Will this work or will the chain and teeth cause some rattly chain dropping mess?

I want to get a 105 power meter arm on my Sora groupset, and it looks like Shimano don't make a 9 speed adventure geared chainset, so need to swap out my gravel bike's FSA 46/30 for something like a compact 105.

Shame to lose the 46/30 but at least there's the 11-34 on the back I guess.

c60rider

by c60rider

Shrike wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 pm
Will this work or will the chain and teeth cause some rattly chain dropping mess?

I want to get a 105 power meter arm on my Sora groupset, and it looks like Shimano don't make a 9 speed adventure geared chainset, so need to swap out my gravel bike's FSA 46/30 for something like a compact 105.

Shame to lose the 46/30 but at least there's the 11-34 on the back I guess.
I imagine it will work to a degree as long as it's only the chainrings that will be 11 speed and everything else is 9. The chainrings will be thinner so the 9 speed chain will fit on easily enough. If possible I would take a few links of 9 speed chain and see how it fits on the chainrings before buying. Shifting won't be optimum but I suspect it will work. There might be a slight loss when cross chaining but impossible to say without trying. I've easily used 10 speed chainrings with 11 speed kit and you would never know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Cheers, I'll try that with the chain and see :)