Canyon Aeroad CF SL vs CF SLX

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

StevenH72

by StevenH72

I know that the CF SL is heavier (40g-100g mentioned, but I haven't seen any real data) with supposedly a slight decrease in frame stiffness, but I was wondering whether anybody has any real life experience of the CF SL just yet?

I'm going to purchase a rim brake version of a mechanical Aeroad frameset and a £600 saving with only a small weight penalty and potentially (but looking for clarification) a small trade off in stiffness I'm struggling to justify the CF SLX.

Would love to hear views and feedback from those that have ridden the CF SL. It's just as aero as the SLX, I'm not a 1,600w sprinter and have a light climbing bike already.

Surely a CF SL is everything I'd need?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

probably will be ok. It´s ok with Ultimate.
Just a remark - you probably know that Aeroad is very probably due to update this year...

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

It´s most likely that new Aeroad will be introduced during TdF 2019. So keep in mind you´re buying the bike that stayed the same from 2015, so during atumn you´ll probably ride ,,old´´ bike, although bought few months ago.
If you really want this gen of Aeroad, personally I´d wait until TdF, prices will be a lot better.

About carbon layup, I think the stiffness of SL will be almost the same as SLX, just a bit heavier.

jmechy

by jmechy

hannawald wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:20 pm
Just a remark - you probably know that Aeroad is very probably due to update this year...
Looks like other threads here indicate that Canyon's Aeroad 2019 update was just adding the SL framset and various color/build changes. Are there any signs to indicate that this may not be the case?

StevenH72

by StevenH72

I do appreciate that the current Aeroad is a few years old now, but there is no guarantee that I will like the new Aeroad, and in my view, if everybody took the stance not to buy something as newer technology will soon be along, nobody would every buy anything.

I like the current Aeroad, so will buy a frame regardless. Being UK based, I'm also hedging my bets against any potential for Canyon's prices increase for UK customers depending on whether we crash out of the EU.

I think I'm going to go for the SL frame, if the stiffness is much of a muchness, I'm happy to accept the extra weight. Canyon estimate a 200g weight penalty for frame and forks.

Alex222

by Alex222

I just purchased a new bike myself, earlier than planned, on the expectation the pound is going to tank in a few months

g32ecs

by g32ecs

hannawald wrote:

Is this the same case as the Ultimate? When was the first time the current geo/styling was introduced?

Alex222

by Alex222

g32ecs wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:47 pm
hannawald wrote:

Is this the same case as the Ultimate? When was the first time the current geo/styling was introduced?
Aeroad came out before the current Ultimate, so I would guess Aeroad this year and Ultimate next.

hannawald

by hannawald

same expectation, Aeroad this year, Ultimate next..

tomtom

by tomtom

StevenH72 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:01 pm
I know that the CF SL is heavier (40g-100g mentioned, but I haven't seen any real data) with supposedly a slight decrease in frame stiffness, but I was wondering whether anybody has any real life experience of the CF SL just yet?

I'm going to purchase a rim brake version of a mechanical Aeroad frameset and a £600 saving with only a small weight penalty and potentially (but looking for clarification) a small trade off in stiffness I'm struggling to justify the CF SLX.

Would love to hear views and feedback from those that have ridden the CF SL. It's just as aero as the SLX, I'm not a 1,600w sprinter and have a light climbing bike already.

Of course the SL is also great (see the many review around)! But the weight "penalty" is a little bigger. According to Canyon 2,4kg (complete disc frameset) for the SL and 2,2kg for the SLX disc.
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

robeambro

by robeambro

StevenH72 wrote:

Nothing wrong in buying an Aeroad, I don't think there will be major upgrades for the new models (unless you have some fetish for internal cable routing, there's people who can hardly look at a bike when the cables are visible).

Waiting for the TdF discounts is a bit of a bet. You may pay less, but they probably will have very little remaining stock at that time, so if you can't find one available in your size, you risk having to buy the new one (oh the tragedy, I know).

StevenH72

by StevenH72

tomtom wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:47 am
StevenH72 wrote:

Of course the SL is also great (see the many review around)! But the weight "penalty" is a little bigger. According to Canyon 2,4kg (complete disc frameset) for the SL and 2,2kg for the SLX disc.
I went for the CF SL and have been very happy. As mentioned I went for the rim brake version and not disc frameset (I am still yet to believe the disc brake hype), does the 200g penalty also apply to the rim frameset?

tomtom

by tomtom

They (Canyon) mention for the SLX only the frame (not set) weight; 890 gram and for the SL (rim/mechanical) the complete set weight; 2,5kg. But in any case the difference will be also in de brakes; DA vs Ultegra.....so not not a very good comparison :? They mention a complete weight of rim/electrical SLX; 2,3kg. So also there about 200g difference. I send my Aeroad SL disc back and bought a second hand SLX one (better looking because of the color, less expensive and fully custom....will be close to 7kg I hope :-)). It was my first disc brake and I love the extra stiffness (because of the thru axles), the easyness AND of course the superior braking!! I have owned many Canyon's (also an Aeroad) all with rimbraks but all my next Canyon's will be disc's :-)!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

tifosiman

by tifosiman

I asked Canyon about the differences between the SL and SLX framesets on their chat a few months ago, and they said the SLX frames uses a higher grade of carbon resulting in a slightly lighter frame - but there shouldn't be any other difference other than the weight as they engineered the frames to be as similar as possible. They said they haven't known of anyone who'd be able to tell the difference between the two in terms of ride quality or stiffness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomtom

by tomtom

I think also (other then weight) the difference between Sl and SLX is not noticeable for "normal" (aka not pro's) cyclists :-)!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF