Currently F8, but want to upgrade to disc brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

First of all, I absolutely love the decending of the Pinarello F8, tracks perfectly and it feels amazing just sweeping around corners. I'm realizing that I can decend much faster than I can brake (which is what's holding me back), so I'm seriously considering changing to disc brakes. The obvious answer would be to get an F8 or F10 disc frame, but since I'm looking to switch, is there another frame I should look at? Fit of my 54cm is perfect (stack 550, reach 386).

I've stated what I love about the F8 (decending, balance, power transfer), but it's not always the most comfortable frame (it can leave you a bit beat up after long rides, especially on rougher pavement).
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

If your F8 is perfect, I would stick with a disc bike that has the same geometry so the only difference is the brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I agree with the geometry comment.

Apart from that, I wonder what rims, pads and brakes you are using? I tested some disc brake road bikes (sram and shimano) and to be honest, braking was not stronger than rim brakes (Shimano and Campagnolo I tested before).

If you want to improve the braking power, I guess checking that three components will be better for you. If problem is modulation or overheating, then I guess disc brake makes sense.

audiojan

by audiojan

ToffieBoi wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:48 am

Apart from that, I wonder what rims, pads and brakes you are using? I tested some disc brake road bikes (sram and shimano) and to be honest, braking was not stronger than rim brakes (Shimano and Campagnolo I tested before).

If you want to improve the braking power, I guess checking that three components will be better for you. If problem is modulation or overheating, then I guess disc brake makes sense.
Enve 4.5 Gen 2 with Enve brake pads. EE brakes (everything else Campy). Living in a fairly mountainous area, long decents does worry me (and I do feel like I'm starting to lose modulation towards the end of the decends, especially if they are a bit technical).
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

audiojan

by audiojan

Guess the concensus is to stick with a Pinarello (I've never had a bike fit me this well! and that's after 25+ years and quite a few years of racing).

TonyM

by TonyM

If you tried or had so many different bikes and the F8 is by far the best, yes then stick to a similar Pinarello like the F10 disk

moyboy

by moyboy

Don’t mess with a good thing plus you’ll be able to transfer you stem and bars easily over.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

audiojan wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:41 pm
ToffieBoi wrote:

Enve 4.5 Gen 2 with Enve brake pads. EE brakes (everything else Campy). Living in a fairly mountainous area, long decents does worry me (and I do feel like I'm starting to lose modulation towards the end of the decends, especially if they are a bit technical).
In the end, it is all about happiness. F10 Disc will brake as you want and geometry will put a smile on your face :)

angrylegs

by angrylegs

Disc brakes are a downgrade. :P

Seriosuly though, I've almost hit 60 mph descending on rim brakes. Only issue I ever had was descending in the rain, and even then I did it, just not as fast. Having test ridden disc-equipped bikes I don't really buy that you can descend faster on them, if the implication is you brake harder and later into corners. Traction is your issue there, and you don't really need to run wider than 28s. Just my opinion though. There's ample reason enough to switch to disc brakes if you want.

I agree with others though for sure: get an F8 disc or check the geometry of the F10. If it's close enough to the F8 you have then maybe get an F10 disc. Don't try to fix what isn't broken.

Js2

by Js2

ToffieBoi wrote:

I second this :thumbup: Perhaps you can try out swapping out the EE brakes to Campy? I used to use EE brakes and swapped over to the R9100, weight penalty but power is better.

Aside from this, if its not broken don't change it.

audiojan

by audiojan

Ok, so it seems like the concensus is that disc brakes may not give me what I'm looking for... I can swap the brakes for Campy (although I'm not sure they are that much better than EE, it's not like they are crappy...). What about brake pads? I'm using the Enve carbon pads for the Gen 2 and they work ok, but not great. I can honestly say that my 6.7's (gen 1 brake surface) with Reynold Cryo Blue brakes just as well. Are there any other pads that I should try out with the Gen 2 track? A whole lot less expensive than changing the frame and going to disc...

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Campagnolo pads for carbon (red ones) works great in my experience, although I didn't have a chance to try them on Enve.

nycebo

by nycebo

Bah humbug. Get the disk brakes. Too many people here talking their own bikes and reconciling their own past decisions. They'll be riding disk soon enough as rim brakes fade away into obscurity in the coming years.

For my part, get the F8 disk with the thru axles. There are still a few around and you can get a great deal on them. As stated earlier, the bars and stem swap right over. Ditto the saddle and pedals and candidly the front and rear mech if you are happy with them. Else, get the groupset of your choice.

AJS914

by AJS914

It makes no sense to spend $6,000 just to switch from rim brakes to disc brakes.

audiojan wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:42 pm
I'm realizing that I can decend much faster than I can brake (which is what's holding me back), so I'm seriously considering changing to disc brakes.

(snip)

I've stated what I love about the F8 (decending, balance, power transfer), but it's not always the most comfortable frame (it can leave you a bit beat up after long rides, especially on rougher pavement).

How is not being able to brake hard enough holding you back? Are you racing down the alps in the Tour? Are you racing at all?

Have you ridden a disc brake bike so that you know that discs brakes so much better? The only enormous advantage I see with disc brakes is when it's wet out. How often are you riding and descending in bad weather?

If the F8 isn't as comfortable as you like, try some wider rims, tires, and a little lower pressure.

audiojan

by audiojan

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:13 pm
It makes no sense to spend $6,000 just to switch from rim brakes to disc brakes.

How is not being able to brake hard enough holding you back? Are you racing down the alps in the Tour? Are you racing at all?

Have you ridden a disc brake bike so that you know that discs brakes so much better? The only enormous advantage I see with disc brakes is when it's wet out. How often are you riding and descending in bad weather?

If the F8 isn't as comfortable as you like, try some wider rims, tires, and a little lower pressure.
First of all, why does it matter if I race or not? And yes, I do ride even if the weather is less than stellar.

I do have wider tires (25's, can't fit much larger with the ENVE 4.5's and the F8), lower pressure (96psi). There's just not too many wider rims out there that would actually fit the frame...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com