Best Look pedal around?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

parajba

by parajba

It’s only for chain gangs in the country side, no traffic etc. Fast riding.
I would like to go ahead withe the Keo Carbon Blades Cr (as they are only £80, and my entry level Keo Classic have been great), but I am worried about that some users said there is ‘side play’ with the Blades. What is it, and how common is it? Side play kind of defeats the purpose of havin a wide platform as it introduces an ‘inefficiency’ in the equation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

After using Shimano pedals for some decades I recently purchased a set of Look Keo 2 max pedals. The reason for that is I wanted to have pedals that are compatible with the same cleat that my new vector 3’s. The Keo’s are not as good as SPD SL pedals, but they are not very bad either. With the vector/exustar cleats the new wider platform is pretty stable. I got he vector cleats for all my shoes as recommended in a Cyclingtips.com tech article.

dim

by dim

I've just bought the new Dura Ace R9100 SPD pedals (with the 4mm longer spindle)

My previous pedals were Look Keo

the DA clips in crisply and are quality .... pricey but come with a 3 year warranty from Chain Reaction .... I'm using the blue cleats that came with them and so far so good

Another item that I dont mind that weighs a bit more, and costs a bit more are skewers .... I use the DA
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

TimF

by TimF

I have no idea what this side play issue is supposed to be. If you have float cleats you can move your feet freely from side to side but they don't slip around at all, you have to purposefully change foot position otherwise they stay still.

ubers

by ubers

parajba wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:26 am
Thanks. How about the side play, I read some reports online that some Look carbon blade users complained about side play?
If you want to stop play, get the Garmin or Exustar cleats. They work heaps better (and are cheaper) with the Blade 2s than the Look cleats.

Also for what its worth, I have ridden 1st and 2nd gen Blade 2 and prefer the Gen 2s. They have a better bearing seal and they hang properly when unclipped, meaning its easier to clip in.

wilwil

by wilwil

Look blades creaked like hell for me so I sold them. The only reason I went with Look was because I have Vector 2 power pedals on one bike. The cleats that come with the Garmin vector didnt work well with the blades – it was nearly impossible to unclip. Ended up with Look Keo 2 Max which seem okay. They are all a compomise compared to Speedplay IMO.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

i have had two pairs of Look Carbon Ti pedals with zero problems....except they arent the most crashable pedals. i got taken down in good old group crash last May and the bit that sticks out latearlly hit the road and snapped off. It took the metal plate with it too. i havent actually tried pedalling with them since to be honest so dont know if the cleat will stay clipped in or twist out on its own under sprints when the pedal is broken like that. but i bet i was jsut unlucky.

no creaks and no complaints after maybe 20000km on that first pair and 10000 on the second pair

parajba

by parajba

Went with Look Keo Max 2 carbon in the end, cheaper but still decent. Thanks for the advice.

ubers

by ubers

mr4fox wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:06 pm
i have had two pairs of Look Carbon Ti pedals with zero problems....except they arent the most crashable pedals. i got taken down in good old group crash last May and the bit that sticks out latearlly hit the road and snapped off. It took the metal plate with it too. i havent actually tried pedalling with them since to be honest so dont know if the cleat will stay clipped in or twist out on its own under sprints when the pedal is broken like that. but i bet i was jsut unlucky.

no creaks and no complaints after maybe 20000km on that first pair and 10000 on the second pair
you're not unlucky to break the pedal like that, its a pretty easy thing to do. I snapped that little spur off when i dropped my bike and the metal plate came off. I glued it back on with expoxy and so far no probs (have done about 500k on it).

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Yep, if you go down in a race or just because you *f##k* up trying to rail a corner, the “wingtip” on the Blade is guaranteed to snap or shear off. And with that, the metal platform/plate becomes loose and probably flies off too. Done it to two pairs myself. If I went back to Looks, I would be using KeO Max pedals anyway for the adjustable tension.