Build my Colnago! :)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TimF

by TimF

Hi all, :mrgreen:

About to get a Colnago M10s frame. Wondering what to put on it. I'm obviously after light but budget too. I already have wheels. Looking for advice on a build at a sensible price. I.e. lightweight alloy stems, not too crazy groupsets, aftermarket cranks etc. I don't mind a fully custom build with a couple of derailleurs. What are the best price / performance recommendations you have?

Sorry for the generic overly simple question! but thought I'd tap your expertise.

Cheers, Tim

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Price // performance // lightweight is generally a pick 2 out of 3 thing. I would go with used SRAM force if you want to go lightweight or the new shimano r7000 groupset. You could find the r7000 group as take offs off of people who upgraded their bikes as it is coming stock on lots of 2019 bikes. For a stem I think the kalloy uno stem is the best valley on the market especially if you ad ti bolts. For wheels you could get some cheapish alloy rims that are sub 1500g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

You have to define a budget build by giving us a budget. For me, a budget group is Ultegra R8000, or SRAM Force. Both offer almost identical performance compared to Dura-Ace or Red, with a tiny weight penalty, at a fraction of the MRSP. For the cockpit, something all alloy like Zipp Service Course SL is lightweight and reasonably priced. For budget wheels, hard to beat something like White Ind hubs on HED Belgium Plus rims. Budget saddle choice for me is something without carbon rails or a carbon shell.

TimF

by TimF

Around £1000 for the kit I think. I am tempted by Force but have only ever used Ultegra. Just not sure I'm allowed to put Ultegra on a Colnago :)

Do most of you run full groupsets now or mix and match aftermarket? Back in the day chainsets, chains, cables etc. were all of similar price to the main manufacturers (like Shimano) but could be a lot lighter elsewhere.

PSM

by PSM

Any picture of the frame? :)

TimF

by TimF

Won't be long until it arrives... just being shipped over from Italy.... :)

moyboy

by moyboy

Chorous or Record Groupset? Just seems right to put a campy groupset on a Colnago

TonyM

by TonyM

Ultegra Di2 would be my choice, best value for the money...

(Except if you live in these countries which state that only campy is ok with Colnago etc...)

TimF

by TimF

I've not used electric gear before, I like mechanical though. Chorus is tempting but pretty costly, how does that compare to Dura Ace? This would all push my budget much harder.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Try the Di2 or EPS!

Some dislike it but many like me call it a game changer.

Campy vs. shimano? Depends on you...
I have Super Record and Dura Ace and I prefer DA.