Specialized S-works Tarmac SL6 bottom bracket question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Sorry to jump on this thread.....
I'm thinking of getting a S-works SL6 Tarmac, either disc or non-disc.
Part of the appeal is the ceramicspeed bb which takes 30mm axles cranks but from what I can see, I only a few options for the crankset right?

1) S-Works Carbon crank.......which they discontinued
2) S-Works Carbon Power Crank....the above with their in-house power meter
3) Quarq pm bb30
4) NON AXS SRAM Red or Force bb30 cranksets

If I want to use others such as Shimano, Campy, etc, I need to either use adaptors OR I knock out the factory ceramicspeed bearings and replace with 3rd party?

Is that correct?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

Other 30mm spindle cranks too. Easton ec90, rotor aldhu or 3d+, Cannondale hollowgram to name a few

If you want to use a shimano or sram gxp you can still use the ceramic speed bearings but you will need an adaptor. Better setup would be one of the collet bbs like praxis makes.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Cdavies102

by Cdavies102

For the money I sold my new BB30 CeramicSpeed bearings for on ebay (that came with my new SL6 frameset), I only had to pay a small upgrade fee to buy the full CeramicSpeed BB30 bottom bracket so I could run Shimano Cranks.

https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/cycling ... mano-road/

After hearing the horror stories about creaking BB with the Adapters, I wasn't going to entertain going down that route. The proper BB has been faultless by the way (as you'd expect), no creaking whatsoever.

scale29

by scale29

I bought the S-Works cranks for mine so I could run the CS stock bearing, got them really cheap on eBay, they are super stiff and light, then I bought the Quarq spider for them. job jobbed. They've been totally silent also.

Cattie

by Cattie

Another related question. I ordered a WheelsMFG bottom bracket for my Quarq GXP..

The Wheels MFG Manual says that one should use grease when installing in carbon and anti-seize paste when installing in titanium.

Has the S-Works Disc titanium inlays? What should I use?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Cattie wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:55 pm
Another related question. I ordered a WheelsMFG bottom bracket for my Quarq GXP..

The Wheels MFG Manual says that one should use grease when installing in carbon and anti-seize paste when installing in titanium.

Has the S-Works Disc titanium inlays? What should I use?

It has aluminum alloy inserts. Anti-seize is just grease with a sacrificial anode in it. You could use anti-seize if you want, but since the conversion BB is also aluminum alloy, you wouldn't have to worry much about galvanic corrosion with just a nice NLGI-2 "marine grease."

gurk700

by gurk700

Swannie wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:48 pm
My SL6 has now + 8000 km's done, in fair conditions, when it rains i'm on my mountainbike. After this mornings ride when i heard some creaking noise, i checked my crank's for play on the BB.
It seems my Ceramic speed is already wasted??
Is this normal for Ceramic Speed?
Get steel bearings, never look back.
Ceramic bearings are bunch of marketing bs. They might roll better for a race or two but will degrade into a worse condition than steel bearings in no time.

gurk700

by gurk700

Boshk wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:58 am
Sorry to jump on this thread.....
I'm thinking of getting a S-works SL6 Tarmac, either disc or non-disc.
Part of the appeal is the ceramicspeed bb which takes 30mm axles cranks but from what I can see, I only a few options for the crankset right?

1) S-Works Carbon crank.......which they discontinued
2) S-Works Carbon Power Crank....the above with their in-house power meter
3) Quarq pm bb30
4) NON AXS SRAM Red or Force bb30 cranksets

If I want to use others such as Shimano, Campy, etc, I need to either use adaptors OR I knock out the factory ceramicspeed bearings and replace with 3rd party?

Is that correct?
Correct. Highly recommend you get a proper BB instead of using adapters though.

Shrike

by Shrike

Which BB would you use on the SL6 for a SRAM AXS crankset?

Preferably from this site as I'm getting other stuff from there too:

https://www.bike24.com/search?searchTerm=sram+dub

Not going to use the Ceramicspeed bearings, will sell those on, and I'm told they won't come fitted.

SRAM's compatibility map lists two DUB BB's. One's a 68-46. Would it be that one?

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/docum ... racket.pdf

dgomes

by dgomes

Reviving this one...

Can anyone help me with...

For the 2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6, is there a Bottom Bracket replacement option to use with the S-Works Power Cranks (30mm)?

Would you some kind of two piece BB or is there a way to remove the factory epoxied aluminum inserts for the 30 x 42 x 7 (6806) bearings?

TIA for any help!

Best regards,
Daniel

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

C-Bear PF42-30-R
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

plainey

by plainey

ryanw wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:30 am
C-Bear PF42-30-R
I would actually recommend the C-Bear PF42-30-AC as it's the 'R' but with better seals and is suited for all weather conditions.
It's what I had on my SL6 after talking with C-Bear. Worked perfect.

dgomes

by dgomes

Greetings!

In your case, did you remove the epoxied aluminum inserts?

Are you using the 30mm axle diameter S-Works Cranks / Power Cranks? (is there a solution where I can use those?)

Thank you in advance!

Karvalo

by Karvalo

dgomes wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:36 am
Are you using the 30mm axle diameter S-Works Cranks / Power Cranks? (is there a solution where I can use those?)
That is the 30 in PF42-30.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

May I chime in here? My lovely SL6 needs a new bottom bracket and I'm trying to figure out which one to to get, since I'm running a P2M with a 30mm Rotor Aldhu crankset. Up until now, I ran the Ceramic Speed bearing with the adapters that came with the powermeter. Yet I'm wondering whether or not the C-Bear BB 30mm ROTOR Kurbeln - Race - PF46-68/73-30 may be the smarter option that is also less prone to creaking.

What do you guys think? Which one is the smarter option?