SRAM Shifter Change

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

StephanP

by StephanP

Hello,
Has anyone every switched SRAM Shifters? What I mean has anyone tried to make the left shifter, shift the rear derailleur and and the right shift the front? The reason I ask is that I only have use of my left hand. I already have a bike setup Di2, but I am hoping to build up a cheaper / commuter bike that I can run in all weather without worrying about the cost of the bike.

I have watched youtube videos of people replacing parts in broken SRAM shifters. Both levers look almost identical and I was thinking that maybe all I had to do was put the cylinder from the right shifter into the left one. I was hoping to build up a 1X bike with disc brakes. I figured if I could change the shifters whether one was hydraulic or they both could be cable brake and I could install something like the TRP HY/Rd brake converting at the the brake to hydraulic.

Any ideas would be helpful or even pointing me in a direction that I haven't thought of. All of my shifting and braking on my Di2 bike is on the left and I hope to setup the 1X bike the same way sticking to mechanical to keep the cost down. I know I it's impossible to switch the internals on Shimano shifters because I have looked into that as well.

Thanks
Stephan

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How about gripshift and an mtb cassette for a large range 1x setup?

Sram road and mtb are cross-compatible with "exact actuation" components. They are cheap too. So with some imagination you might be able to use a shifter from the entire range of tt/road/mtb.

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StephanP

by StephanP

Not really interested in the grip shifter solution. It doesn't look that great on a road bike handle bar. I was thinking of using a MTB rear derailleur because of the "exact actuation" if its possible to change the road shifter internals.

Thanks

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

What about Etap with a blip on the left side of the bars?

That way you could shift front and rear using only your left hand.

Bit of cost of course, but would work very nicely.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

6870 di2 is cheaper than etap. How about a 6870 commuter bike with a second hand group.

Sure it's not what you asked for but you'd have di2 redundency with two bikes. You could borrow derailleurs if something stops working or need to failsearch something.

StephanP

by StephanP

I know all about Di2 and the Etap electronic setups. I already have a bike set up with Di2 and would like a cheaper mechanical drivetrain for my commute. Bike will be parked outside during work hours and in the elements. That's why I was asking if it was possible to change the internals of the SRAM shifters, I know its not possible for the Shimano shifters.

Thanks

grover

by grover

Not possible.

The left and right internals are a mirror image of each other. So internals from right won't fit in left hand body.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

You could use downtube shifters, as they're easily both operated with one hand, but that means you'd need to be able to steer with the other hand while shifting - from your description you don't say whether that's possible.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I think the cylinder would do it, as long as the barrels move in the right direction. Follow the 10-11sp conversion instructions that are out there. See if you can flip the barrels over.

2lo8

by 2lo8

There was the wireless control device kickstarter thing that I can't really remember. It converted a normal derailer into a wireless electric one with a control pad that could be used by one hand.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

One option is to install the right shifter upside down somewhere on the left drop. The cabling gets funny but it will work. Before electronic, people with only the use of one hand would put both shifters on the same side - one in the normal position and the one brought over from the other side upside down. I have seen set-ups with to tips of the brake levers quite close to each other so they could both be activated with one hand.

Too bad you have to leave the bike expose to the elements and potential theft. Anyone disabled who perseveres on the bike deserves electronic.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Marin

by Marin

Sram bar end shifter should work well. I use one on a 1x road bike setup, and I've used it on the left hand side as well since I'm left handed.

mattr

by mattr

2lo8 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:24 am
There was the wireless control device kickstarter thing that I can't really remember. It converted a normal derailer into a wireless electric one with a control pad that could be used by one hand.
X-Shifter.

This is the only sort of application i can think of where it would actually be worthwhile. Limited dexterity of the rider.

StephanP

by StephanP

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:07 am
One option is to install the right shifter upside down somewhere on the left drop. The cabling gets funny but it will work. Before electronic, people with only the use of one hand would put both shifters on the same side - one in the normal position and the one brought over from the other side upside down. I have seen set-ups with to tips of the brake levers quite close to each other so they could both be activated with one hand.

Too bad you have to leave the bike expose to the elements and potential theft. Anyone disabled who perseveres on the bike deserves electronic.
That is exactly how I have set up my Di2 bike. Both shifters shift the rear derailleur and I have a stripped down climbing shifter glued on the outside of the top shifter to shift the front derailleur. This allows me to use both brakes independently.

Stephan

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

Would it be possible just to use the complete righthand shifter but just mount it on the left?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com