Outgoing Cervélo S5 - bargain or not?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

Just looking at Cervelo S5 2018 offer from Sigma UK and seriously thinking about buying this Ultegra equipped aero machine.
I haven´t ridden one so searching any reviews and forums and still not decided. According to reviews it´s aero performance should be at least as good as Madone or Aeroad, but is it overall stiff enough? There was small facelift in 2017, aside from paint job it looks like only seatpost was redesigned, didn´t find any info about layup upgrade.
I´ve heard some complaints from Cav about it´s stiffness and after reading new 2019 S5 description claimed the new model stiffness is ,,up 25% at the bottom bracket, and 13% at the head tube´´ it just makes me think previous gen was a noodle if it needed this kind of improvement :)
The new S5 is only DB, Aeroad is somewhat old design to me(and I don´t like new paint schemes), Scott Foil doesn´t impress me much too, while outgoing S5 looks like a boss to me.
Regarding to I´ve been used to ride a rock solid bottom bracket on TCR Advanced SL, I don´t want to lose too much stiffness.

Thanks for inputs.

by Weenie

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I am actively considering the previous generation S5. I think the pricing is quite good and the performance is good enough for me as a “Cat 3”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ReactiveE wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:38 pm
I´ve heard some complaints from Cav about it´s stiffness
Well, remember Cav is one of the greatest Pro Tour sprinters ever and has different requirements of a bike than almost anyone else on the planet.

Second, he was riding a custom layup the whole time anyway so it's not directly relevant to the production bike.

Third, he didn't have any complaints when he rode it to 4 stage wins in two weeks at the '16 Tour. it was when his form fell off through injury and illness that the bike started being crap. Funny that :wink:

TiCass

by TiCass

Karvalo wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:58 pm
ReactiveE wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:38 pm
I´ve heard some complaints from Cav about it´s stiffness
Well, remember Cav is one of the greatest Pro Tour sprinters ever and has different requirements of a bike than almost anyone else on the planet.

Second, he was riding a custom layup the whole time anyway so it's not directly relevant to the production bike.

Third, he didn't have any complaints when he rode it to 4 stage wins in two weeks at the '16 Tour. it was when his form fell off through injury and illness that the bike started being crap. Funny that :wink:
Cav also criticized the stiffness of Enve component. In fact, he criticized the stiffness of pretty much anything.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

At the local crits they don't seem to be disadvantaging any of the local riders(and winners). Local ex-pro Joe Cooper who has every strava kom climbing kom ( inc beating froome, wout poels. Cam wurf, dylan van bayle, sivakov) isn't suffering from lack of stiffness.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PLuKE

by PLuKE

The last 3 posts made me chuckle :lol:

I dont have anything to add to this, I also bought a 2017 S5 couple of years ago, but waited and ordered a Cipo Bond.

Luke

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

Ok so let´s Cav´s thoughts aside. So is there any lack of stiffness or pedalling response compared to Foil, Aeroad, Madone or old Venge?
I´m in doubt why they improved new S5´s bb stiffness so much...of course if we can trust their numbers. :)

none

by none

Are you riding at the level of Cav's S5?

Do you have similar power output as Cav?

What exactly is the "stiffness" requirement that you are looking for in a bike?

Bordcla

by Bordcla

I have a pre-disc S3, so technically inferior to an S5, and it climbs and sprints super well at my 180 lbs and 1500W sprint power. I only "upgraded" because I wanted a disc bike. Can't see why an S5 wouldn't be at least as good...

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Bordcla wrote:I have a pre-disc S3, so technically inferior to an S5, and it climbs and sprints super well at my 180 lbs and 1500W sprint power. I only "upgraded" because I wanted a disc bike. Can't see why an S5 wouldn't be at least as good...
I had a 2014 S3 and now have a 2017 Izalco Max. I never thought the S3 had a flexy BB while I owned/ride it and maybe it’s something else (like round vs aero tubes) but the Izalco feels stiffer and transfers power better.

adam0bmx0

by adam0bmx0

I had a first iteration S5, it was a noodle!

Stiff rear end, but very 'floppy' front end.

I owned this bike alongside a BMC Teammachine SLR02 and there was a profound difference in the front end stiffness.

I've read the facelift version was re-designed to address the front end slop, but haven't ridden one, nor the latest iteration.

I'm sure it'll ride just fine, it's just much easier to notice when you have mutiple bikes and ride each back to back.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

adam0bmx0 wrote:
I'm sure it'll ride just fine, it's just much easier to notice when you have mutiple bikes and ride each back to back.
Interestingly enough, a rider in the area has a MY15 S5 and says the same thing about the front end when comparing it to his Cannondale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ducman

by ducman

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:18 am
Bordcla wrote:I have a pre-disc S3, so technically inferior to an S5, and it climbs and sprints super well at my 180 lbs and 1500W sprint power. I only "upgraded" because I wanted a disc bike. Can't see why an S5 wouldn't be at least as good...
I had a 2014 S3 and now have a 2017 Izalco Max. I never thought the S3 had a flexy BB while I owned/ride it and maybe it’s something else (like round vs aero tubes) but the Izalco feels stiffer and transfers power better.
Pictures of your Izalco? Im considering buying a 2019 rimbrake Izaloc,, thank you.

Stueys

by Stueys

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/r ... cervelo-s5

The sigma prices are pretty good, if you aren’t fussed about discs I think that’s a deal

ryanw

by ryanw

The 2nd Gen S5 (2015/16 - 2018) is an amazing bike, one I personally have covered many, many thousands of KM on.

It's done everything from crits, to mountain stages of the Giro, to off-road canal towpaths in the Lakes.

I have never thought the bike was sloppy, even when 95kg+ and putting down 1,800w.

My personal setup wasn't the most comfortable but I still managed to do LEJOG in 8 days, covering 1,658km and 17,500m of climbing.

For under £4k, I think there are very few aero bikes that come close.

by Weenie