Good rim brakes between Dura-Ace and EE

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

snaxez

by snaxez

I plan to do more mountains this summer and I`m looking for new calipers for my Scott CR1 SL. Currently I have Planet X Ultra Light CNC Brake Calipers (203g pair), but the braking is not the best, and I allways have to fiddle with them, as they will not center properly. I think the best WW brakes with good stopping power are EE, but I just can`t put out 550€ for calipers. Other option would be Dura Ace BR-R9100, but they are 326g per pair. That seems abit on the heavy side.
Dura Ace BR-9000 brakes seem to be lighter at 297g per pair. Is there any differfence between 9000 and 9100, and are there any other good options between DA and EE?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mcflurry

by mcflurry

Have you considered SRAM force? Unless mismatching components bothers you, at 280ish grams they are the best bang for buck ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c60 etap bora

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Try different brake pads.

The Planet-X are hard to beat weight and pricewise. The performance is actually really good when they are working properly.

Maybe check the brake arms for sideplay. They might just need servicing/preloading.

Sometimes playing around with the centerbolt and holding on to the axle with a cone wrench can actually undo the preload on the brakearms.

As for centering make sure your brake housing is the right length. Rotate the handlebars and check that the housing isn't pushing or pulling on the calipers.

Unscrew the spring tension bolt fully. It's useless. To center I don't even use a cone wrench anymore (only sometimes if I haven't done it for a long time). What I do is make sure the threads are greased and then tighten the recessed nut until it's tight. Of course the centering will be completely off at this point. If the caliper needs to rotate back a bit I just put some loosening pressure on the recessed nut and nudge the caliper into the right position with my other hand. Done. No need to touch any small screws. All you need is the allen key. It's even faster than playing with the adjustment screws and I've done it on sram and shimano brakes and it works great and stays centered for a long time. Lots of sweat and frustration spared.

jih

by jih

The PX brakes work ok, especially for their weight, but not as well as the standard groupset road brakes. I had them for several years on my lightest bike.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Had both DA9000 and latest EE.

DA definitely more feel and less flex, but I'm 85kg.

EE still up to the job and very good, 120g odd lighter, and obviously flasher = most important.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

bikebreak

by bikebreak

I've had the Planet X brakes, they are ok but not great. The SRAM red aerolink is similar but easier to center and has more power. It's not as powerful as my ultegra brakes but I would say it's a viable middle option btwn the Planet X and heavier Shimano

bikebreak

by bikebreak

caveat:
The new Shimano brakes need their own brake levers for best function, Shimano changed the pull ratio for the 11 speed groups
the Planet X and SRAM red brakes work with everything but would be less than ideal with Shimano 11 levers

Philbar72

by Philbar72

the old 9000 brakes are lighter than the current 9100's but only support up to 25mm tyres. 9100's support 28mm.

they are the best rim brakes on the market i'd say. despite their bulk...

AnkitS

by AnkitS

mcflurry wrote: Have you considered SRAM force?
IMO SRAM force brakes are pretty bad and I prefer ultegra and 105 to them any day (I am guessing DA is even better but I ain't got no money). Mine may have been a little old and seized up but Shimano brakes definitely have more power and modulation than SRAM Force brakes.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

I have the TRP R979 magnesium alloy brakes and love them. Modulate and stop beautifully and are quite lightweight.

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Something good about the eeBrake is the extra clarance they offer, if you are running taller tires or the caliper limits tire size not the frame than the ee are the best.
Shimano still feel better than anything else but the ee Brake feels great for it's weight
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

markdjr

by markdjr

ryanw wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:41 pm
Had both DA9000 and latest EE.

DA definitely more feel and less flex, but I'm 85kg.

EE still up to the job and very good, 120g odd lighter, and obviously flasher = most important.
My experience as well.

mcflurry

by mcflurry

icantaffordcycling wrote:
mcflurry wrote: Have you considered SRAM force?
IMO SRAM force brakes are pretty bad and I prefer ultegra and 105 to them any day (I am guessing DA is even better but I ain't got no money). Mine may have been a little old and seized up but Shimano brakes definitely have more power and modulation than SRAM Force brakes.
Having both force22 & ultegra6800 brakes, with both setup correctly I could barely tell the difference. Braking power and the progressiveness is better then any third-party brakes imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c60 etap bora

snaxez

by snaxez

cwdzoot wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:14 pm
Something good about the eeBrake is the extra clarance they offer, if you are running taller tires or the caliper limits tire size not the frame than the ee are the best.
Shimano still feel better than anything else but the ee Brake feels great for it's weight
My frame will not allow me to use wider tires, current vittoria 25 tubulars are ok, but can`t go wider.

Js2

by Js2

EE brakes are decent enough if you're looking for the weight savings.

Having used both R9100 and EE brakes, I would give the nod to R9100. The brake feel and power is just a notch above the EE's.
Also EE requires a bit more TLC setting up and cleaning (gets gritty from time to time).

Currently on DM Dura Ace which is even better than the Regular R9100. Hope this helps

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com