Saddle choices after Fabric?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Saddles! I have been using my Fabric Flat Race for 2-3years now, But upon changing bike, with a much bigger saddle to bar drop I find my Fabric causes me numbness and just general discomfort after 30-60mins +

Saddle height, fort/aft/ and tilt is all correct, and I have been playing with the tilt. Using Rapha bibs

I hear good things about the S works Toupe/Power,and also the Fizik Arione I have tried the Fizik Antares, Selle SLR Superflowwhich was a big NO!

Any feedback would be great at this point.

Thanks
Luke

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I am a big fan of the berk lupina saddle. The long nose is going off trend these days but they remain the most comfortable saddles i own. Skip the round rail versions... too much flex

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PLuKE

by PLuKE

RocketRacing wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:17 pm
I am a big fan of the berk lupina saddle. The long nose is going off trend these days but they remain the most comfortable saddles i own. Skip the round rail versions... too much flex
I find when pushing on the pedals, I move forwards on the saddle, this is fine, but after some time, the nose starts to push in to bits! Thats what drew me to the Arione being flatter and a wider nose? I don't know how I would get on with a stubby nose saddle like the Power or Pro Stealth, would it relieve me, or make more unstable and adding more weight onto my wrists?

Thanks
Luke

timmerrr

by timmerrr

I just switched from an arione open to a prologo dimension nack. I didn't have issues outside with the arione but this winter while trying to put serious time in on the trainer I had some pretty bad numbness. No problems with the nack with a few 2+ hour trainer rides now.
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

AnkitS

by AnkitS

timmerrr wrote:I just switched from an arione open to a prologo dimension nack. I didn't have issues outside with the arione but this winter while trying to put serious time in on the trainer I had some pretty bad numbness. No problems with the nack with a few 2+ hour trainer rides now.
Originally had a fizik arione then I switched from a Specialized Power 143mm and now to a Prologo Dimension T4.0 143mm (wider and cheaper than the Nack.) And also have had a similar experience and I am enjoying it a lot right now. The power and Dimension have really worked for me at unlike timmerrr I didn't experience numbness with the arione just flat out discomfort and pain.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

PLuKE wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:30 pm
I find when pushing on the pedals, I move forwards on the saddle, this is fine, but after some time, the nose starts to push in to bits! Thats what drew me to the Arione being flatter and a wider nose? I don't know how I would get on with a stubby nose saddle like the Power or Pro Stealth, would it relieve me, or make more unstable and adding more weight onto my wrists?

Thanks
Luke
I am no expert on saddles, i just know what works for me. It is also hard to advise in any meaningful manner, as everyone is different (start with a good measurement of sit bones, proper bike fit/saddle
Position... maybe you saddle is too far back based on your comments.

I tend to find my bare carbon ones with the centre channel the most comfortable. I also ended up going narrower as i think i was advised to go too wide by a fitter. I tend to have a low
Agressive position, so a saddle that is more forward, slightly nose down, and a bit narrower than expected really works. I have never had numbness or soreness since... but then i tend to do most rides pretty hard, but never longer than 1.5hrs (working man with young kids).

The short nose saddles make sense to me, as i don’t find much use for the nose, especially on mountain bikes. For me the nose just helps find and position the saddle on technical climbs, or quick standing to sitting transitions.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Prologo dimension seems to have the one of the narrowest nose (while keeping the wing span the same).

of these newer breed of short nose saddles, I have Pro Stealth, Astute Sealite, Specialized Power and Prologo dimension.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

I used to ride a Specialized Toupe S-Works 155mm
Really liked it

Had a rush of blood to the head and bought a Speedneedle Marathon
https://en.tune.de/wp-content/uploads/2 ... rathon.jpg

260mm long 135mm wide 104g

Been riding it for 2 years...love it
I find it easy to get comfortable

Needs to have the front angled up slightly

...saddle is personal preference and with low volume manufacturers it’s difficult/impossible to get a test ride
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

zefs

by zefs

If you ride in an aggressive position you might need to use a negative tilt angle for the saddle if you don't want your back to flex (our body tends to do that to alleviate pressure). So maybe try any of the popular saddle choices for aggressive position and play with saddle tilt until there is no pressure for the saddle drop you like to use. If you end up with a lot of tilt on the saddle you will be sliding forward which will effectively shorten your reach, that is why a long stem is a good choice for the racing position.

Or you can use the short tt saddles and keep a more neutral saddle tilt, but these require a different setup and I haven't tried them to give an opinion.

arthurf

by arthurf

I had a similar position recently whereby the Fizik Antares I had been using for many years became unbearable on both bikes. I went through a few options but the best (for me) was the Pro Stealth (142). I have quite an aggressive position with 11-12cm drop and tend to ride a forwards position on the nose of the saddle. The wide nose of the Stealth feels really stable when climbing or pushing along the flat and has more padding than the Specialized Power I tried. It was an odd sensation at first with all of your 'junk' not being supported but I quickly adapted to it. Had a big week in Gran Canaria last week with 500 miles in 6 days and never experienced any discomfort. I don't think the Stealth would suit a relaxed, upright riding style as it gets very wide just behind the seating position which could cause considerable chafing.

PLuKE

by PLuKE

zefs wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:19 am
If you ride in an aggressive position you might need to use a negative tilt angle for the saddle if you don't want your back to flex (our body tends to do that to alleviate pressure). So maybe try any of the popular saddle choices for aggressive position and play with saddle tilt until there is no pressure for the saddle drop you like to use. If you end up with a lot of tilt on the saddle you will be sliding forward which will effectively shorten your reach, that is why a long stem is a good choice for the racing position.

Or you can use the short tt saddles and keep a more neutral saddle tilt, but these require a different setup and I haven't tried them to give an opinion.
My current setup, I do have a 5mm under the stem now.

I find with the saddle to nose down it makes things worse, the saddle is level maybe a tad nose down and also adds weight onto my wrists which I don't want.

Luke
Attachments
T%ViypcGS%eyZE7ikqaLpw.jpg

PLuKE

by PLuKE

arthurf wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:34 pm
I had a similar position recently whereby the Fizik Antares I had been using for many years became unbearable on both bikes. I went through a few options but the best (for me) was the Pro Stealth (142). I have quite an aggressive position with 11-12cm drop and tend to ride a forwards position on the nose of the saddle. The wide nose of the Stealth feels really stable when climbing or pushing along the flat and has more padding than the Specialized Power I tried. It was an odd sensation at first with all of your 'junk' not being supported but I quickly adapted to it. Had a big week in Gran Canaria last week with 500 miles in 6 days and never experienced any discomfort. I don't think the Stealth would suit a relaxed, upright riding style as it gets very wide just behind the seating position which could cause considerable chafing.
I had an Antares R1, was vile, in the end I couldn't ride for more than 2hrs, I used to it build some fencing, was great for hammering galvanised nails.

I am more inclined to try a shorter saddle, after some reading the Power ARC seems the better version, the Stealth gets great feedback too, and with 30 day money back, there's little to lose out on!

Luke

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’d hazard a guess that perhaps the greater issue isn’t so much the saddle itself but what looks to be a rather large saddle to bar drop in your setup. And tilting the saddle down to accommodate for that is not a good idea since all that does is have you constantly pushing back against the bars with your arms to keep from sliding off the saddle.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

toshi

by toshi

Any reason you aren't considering Fabric Line? Very similar shape to Scoop but with a cutout.

zefs

by zefs

PLuKE wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:32 pm
zefs wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:19 am

My current setup, I do have a 5mm under the stem now.

I find with the saddle to nose down it makes things worse, the saddle is level maybe a tad nose down and also adds weight onto my wrists which I don't want.

Luke
Yeah it's a compromise. If the saddle height is correct as you mentioned, try a shorter saddle like recommended or raise the handlebars until you feel no saddle pressure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com