Grippy Tubeless Road Tire

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Hello, everyone.

I've been reading reviews of some of the newer tubeless road tires that have come out, and I'm not exactly thrilled with what I'm reading. I was looking to buy either the Pro One or GP5K TL, but many users have said that neither offer stellar cornering grip.

So, what tubeless tire DOES offer good cornering grip?

Additional information: I'll be running these tires on 50mm deep, 23mm internal width carbon tubeless ready rims. Ideally, I'd like a 25mm tire that ballooned up to 28-29mm at 55-60psi.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Interested in this also.

Currently have the 11 Storm Hutchinson Performace's on my winter hack and they're not great in the wet.

EDIT: Not tubeless, but S-Works Turbo Cottons are the best dry weather tyres I've ever used.
Last edited by ryanw on Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Interesting, I haven’t had any concerns with corner grip and I rail corners hard, maybe I’m not going hard enough..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

dcorn

by dcorn

I've never had a problem with cornering grip with any tire I've ever run on the road, and I have no problem railing through fast corners. Are people literally washing out and crashing because their tires aren't grippy enough? Doubt it, probably road conditions to blame.

Buy anything made for racing and it'll be grippy. My hutchinson Sector 32mm tires are borderline gravel tires and they are grippy as hell on pavement.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

This one is probably your best bet. However be warned that a soft compound (for maximum wet grip) is a compromise in puncture resistance, as evident in the BRR test results.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

IRC Formula RBCC
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

LeDuke wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:57 pm
Hello, everyone.

I've been reading reviews of some of the newer tubeless road tires that have come out, and I'm not exactly thrilled with what I'm reading. I was looking to buy either the Pro One or GP5K TL, but many users have said that neither offer stellar cornering grip.

So, what tubeless tire DOES offer good cornering grip?

Additional information: I'll be running these tires on 50mm deep, 23mm internal width carbon tubeless ready rims. Ideally, I'd like a 25mm tire that ballooned up to 28-29mm at 55-60psi.
I was super impressed with Mavic Yksion Pro UST. I only put a couple hundred kms on them so my experience is not deep. However I did push them very hard in dry corners and they were excellent. Very direct feeling of "hook up" which I don't often get from tubeless. In the wet they felt very positive - not squirmy or vague, at least at the moderate level of cornering risk that I was willing to explore.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Also running a 25mm tire at 55psi I don't think grip will be an issue. The contact patch will be fairly large espeically if you are not an ultra-light rider. What is your weight?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

wheelbuilder wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:39 pm
IRC Formula RBCC
£55 each in the UK... :!:
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

LeDuke

by LeDuke

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:45 pm
Also running a 25mm tire at 55psi I don't think grip will be an issue. The contact patch will be fairly large espeically if you are not an ultra-light rider. What is your weight?
Depending on the season, 139-145lbs.

But, as I said, I'll be running these "25mm" tires on 23mm internal width rims. My current tires, 25mm Corsa Controls, measure 29mm on those rims.

Miller

by Miller

I'll put in another vote for Hutch Fusion 5 All Season, I'm running a pair at the moment and they are very free of drama. Also can be had relatively cheaply for tubeless tyres.

dim

by dim

ryanw wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:52 pm
wheelbuilder wrote:
IRC Formula RBCC
thats my recomendation aswell .... very good tyres, grip well and are fast .... (but I have not compared them to any other tubeless tyres yet) .... I've had 2 sets so far
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

NickJHP

by NickJHP

A bit outside your size requirements, but I just returned from a week of cycling in the Victorian Alps on an Open U.P.P.E.R. shod with Compass Bon Jon Pass 700x35 Extralight setup as tubeless, and I've never ridden another tyre that sticks so well when cornering. I reckon on those I can both descend faster and feel safer than on any other tyre I've ridden here in the ~30 years that I've been riding these mountains. I finished the week by riding our annual alpine brevet ride - 200km with about 4000m of climbing. This is a ride I've completed over 20 times previously, and I was considerably faster on the descents this year without feeling that I was getting anywhere near the point of losing grip. The first half of the ride it rained, and on the wet winding descents I overtook dozens and dozens of riders trying to keep their narrow racing tyres rubber side down. Even in the dry later on I still had a substantial advantage on the descents over riders on narrow tyres, and was still overtaking most of them. I can only recall two riders in the entire 200km passing me on a descent, and that was on a fairly straight section where my 65kg couldn't compete with the heavier riders.

Compass make similar tyres in a narrower size - the Cayuse Pass in a nominal 26mm and the Chinook Pass in a nominal 28mm, but I believe they don't rate either of those as tubeless compatible, as they won't recommend tubeless at > 60psi (4.1 bar).

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^35 will stick like glue... I'm not surprised at all by those results.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

szazbo

by szazbo

dim wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:46 pm
ryanw wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:52 pm
wheelbuilder wrote:
IRC Formula RBCC
thats my recomendation aswell .... very good tyres, grip well and are fast .... (but I have not compared them to any other tubeless tyres yet) .... I've had 2 sets so far
I thought the IRC RBCC were ok, exceptional on puncture resistance, but feel noticeably slower compared to the Pro One and 5000TL. Pro Ones are very grippy tire dry, Only have 500km on the 5000 but they also feel great in the dry