Grippy Tubeless Road Tire

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

anykarthik

by anykarthik

I've got plenty of miles on Conti Gp4ks2, Pro One and Hutch Fusion Performance 11storm. I'm currently on the Hutchinsons.

I push my bike reasonably hard on twisty downhills (as per Strava at least), so I have a sense of grip levels of these tires.

Subjective ranking:
- Straight line dry grip: Conti 5, Fusion 4.5, Pro One 3
- Straight line wet grip: Conti 5, Fusion 4.5, Pro One 1
- Cornering dry grip: Conti 5, Fusion 5, Pro One 4
- Cornering wet grip: Conti 5, Fusion 5, Pro One 2
- Rolling speed: Pro One 5, Conti 4, Fusion 3.5
- Puncture resistance: Fusion 5, Conti 4, Pro One 2
- Comfort: Fusion 5, Pro One 5, Conti 3

Some notes:
- Cornering grip isn't the same as straight line grip (i.e. braking hard).
- The Fusion and Conti feel really similar overall, in terms of grip.
- The Pro Ones absolutely sucked in straight-line grip (wheels lock easily when braking). Wet or dry. And the degradation when wet was almost dangerous.
- Pro One cornering traction is better than its straight line traction (different rubber compound?). This also made for an unpredictable feeling tire since grip was quite different on different parts of the carcass.
- The above also explains why the Pro One rolls the fastest - it just has less straight line grip.
- The Fusion felt significantly more comfortable than the Conti at equal pressures. And it also feels like it rolls equally well, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a little slower.
- Puncture resistance: Fusion > Conti > Pro One.

Overall, I'm super happy with the Fusion tires. Very competitive weight, seems to be pretty puncture resistant, more comfortable than the Conti, grip is great and rolls well enough for me (even if it might be ever so slightly more draggy).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Orlok

by Orlok

nachetetm wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:15 pm
I think i can't test scientifically what tire is more grippy (will involve me falling, and I am not planning to), but I can definitely tell. Call it "confidence" instead of "grip" if you prefer.
Yeah, it's like womens intuition. :smartass:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

jlok

by jlok

Orlok wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:52 am
nachetetm wrote:
I think i can't test scientifically what tire is more grippy (will involve me falling, and I am not planning to), but I can definitely tell. Call it "confidence" instead of "grip" if you prefer.
Rule #64//

Cornering confidence increases with time and experience.

This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jones1991

by jones1991

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:37 pm
This one is probably your best bet. However be warned that a soft compound (for maximum wet grip) is a compromise in puncture resistance, as evident in the BRR test results.

im using these and have been impressed so far, been using them since october

nachetetm

by nachetetm

Orlok wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:52 am
nachetetm wrote:
It must be that :-D

fizzaz

by fizzaz

anykarthik wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:45 pm
I've got plenty of miles on Conti Gp4ks2, Pro One and Hutch Fusion Performance 11storm. I'm currently on the Hutchinsons.

I push my bike reasonably hard on twisty downhills (as per Strava at least), so I have a sense of grip levels of these tires.

Subjective ranking:
- Straight line dry grip: Conti 5, Fusion 4.5, Pro One 3
- Straight line wet grip: Conti 5, Fusion 4.5, Pro One 1
- Cornering dry grip: Conti 5, Fusion 5, Pro One 4
- Cornering wet grip: Conti 5, Fusion 5, Pro One 2
- Rolling speed: Pro One 5, Conti 4, Fusion 3.5
- Puncture resistance: Fusion 5, Conti 4, Pro One 2
- Comfort: Fusion 5, Pro One 5, Conti 3

Some notes:
- Cornering grip isn't the same as straight line grip (i.e. braking hard).
- The Fusion and Conti feel really similar overall, in terms of grip.
- The Pro Ones absolutely sucked in straight-line grip (wheels lock easily when braking). Wet or dry. And the degradation when wet was almost dangerous.
- Pro One cornering traction is better than its straight line traction (different rubber compound?). This also made for an unpredictable feeling tire since grip was quite different on different parts of the carcass.
- The above also explains why the Pro One rolls the fastest - it just has less straight line grip.
- The Fusion felt significantly more comfortable than the Conti at equal pressures. And it also feels like it rolls equally well, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a little slower.
- Puncture resistance: Fusion > Conti > Pro One.

Overall, I'm super happy with the Fusion tires. Very competitive weight, seems to be pretty puncture resistant, more comfortable than the Conti, grip is great and rolls well enough for me (even if it might be ever so slightly more draggy).
I will agree with all of this. I love the Pro ones for their road race and dry crit performance, but do not even think about them in the wet.

Another I can suggest (and was actually my go-to wet crit tire this past season) is the Bontrager R3s. I didn't run them in tubeless, but the rubber seems to be the same. I ran 28s at about 65psi for those races and I was really impressed. The only downside is the tubless doesn't come in the larger size.

kzy090

by kzy090

I currently use the Schwalbe Pro Ones, they tend to slip on wet sufaces on the first ride.
However, after bedded in the grip is pretty good.
I think the puncture resistance is about the same as the Conti GP 4000sII.
I hear that Hutchinsons are light, supple an grip well but are prone to punctures.

parleez1

by parleez1

Can anyone provide their feedback on the Giant Gavia AC 0 TLC or Gavia Race 0 tubeless tires? I have the Gavia AC 0 25mm tires on my 2019 Advanced SL 0 TCR but have only had an opportunity to ride them two short rides, so no impression yet on their performance. Appreciate any feedback compared to any of the more popular tubeless tires discussed in this thread. Thanks!

dim

by dim

not tubeless, but if you are looking for a tyre that has excellent grip in the dry and wet, look at the IRC Aspite Pro Wet clinchers...

I used a set during winter and the grip is like superglue to the road .... the tread is the full width of the tyre (bead to bead) ....
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The tubeless formula Pro RBCC has the best grip I have found so far for tubeless.

brackc

by brackc

LeDuke wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:44 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:45 pm
Also running a 25mm tire at 55psi I don't think grip will be an issue. The contact patch will be fairly large espeically if you are not an ultra-light rider. What is your weight?
Depending on the season, 139-145lbs.

But, as I said, I'll be running these "25mm" tires on 23mm internal width rims. My current tires, 25mm Corsa Controls, measure 29mm on those rims.
Just because no one else is saying this: 25mm tires on 23mm internal is very much not recommended by bike companies, ETRTO has a very-cautious max 17mm internal for 25mm tyres. You'll probably be fine as long as the rim and tire match diameter nicely, though a loose combination would worry me...

For more grip you're also better off with going up a tire size if your frame will allow. That said I've been liking the mavic yksion pro's I've been using (aka hutchison fusion 11storm).
If wet grip is what you're after specifically, then look into any of the 2-season lines of tires as they are optimised towards more wet grip and increased puncture resistance.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Thought I'd update this thread.

Bought some GP5K TLs. Made it 1/4 of a mile before I put a hole in one. Presumably some construction debris hidden in sand on the road shoulder. Turned around and hopped on my mountain bike.

Not sure if I'll try to patch it or just buy something else. 3mm sidewall slash. Also, they were the hardest tire installation I've ever had. Insanely difficult.

kytyree

by kytyree

Yeah, I want to try the TL GP5K but I put the regular ones on one of my bikes and they're not handling the small punctures that I get around here well at all. Sealant tends to handle those punctures pretty well but I'm having a hard time convincing myself.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kytyree wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:48 pm
Yeah, I want to try the TL GP5K but I put the regular ones on one of my bikes and they're not handling the small punctures that I get around here well at all. Sealant tends to handle those punctures pretty well but I'm having a hard time convincing myself.

The GP5K TL handles tread punctures just fine. It's sidewall slashes/tears and abrading that has always been Conti's problem and it continues to be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com