Cervelo R5ca crankset options & Build Specs

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 2750
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

BBright.jpg
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)


Ex bike; Vial EVO D

by Weenie


User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 2750
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

Francois_Viviers wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:17 am
FSA 386 EVO require a specific spacer set for BBright that can be hard to find, but not impossible. the normal spacer set will just make the whole set up slightly too wide and turning crank will have some resistance. As a side note, Hambini BBright BB also does not work with 386evo cranks
First of all, the frame doesn't use, or rather, couldn't use a BB Right system as suggested.
It's just 2pcs 6806 bearings (30*42*7 bearings) you press directly into the frame.

But back to Hambini, why wouldn't his BBright work with 386evo cranks?
BBright is 79mm isn't it? BB 386 is 86.5mm... so what do i miss here?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)


Ex bike; Vial EVO D

Andres
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:10 am

by Andres

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:27 am
Francois_Viviers wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:17 am
FSA 386 EVO require a specific spacer set for BBright that can be hard to find, but not impossible. the normal spacer set will just make the whole set up slightly too wide and turning crank will have some resistance. As a side note, Hambini BBright BB also does not work with 386evo cranks
First of all, the frame doesn't use, or rather, couldn't use a BB Right system as suggested.
It's just 2pcs 6806 bearings (30*42*7 bearings) you press directly into the frame.

But back to Hambini, why wouldn't his BBright work with 386evo cranks?
BBright is 79mm isn't it? BB 386 is 86.5mm... so what do i miss here?
They'll work, with the correct spacer configuration. The original 3D+ Rotor that was used on a lot of these frames is essentially a 386 crank. The rotor has the preload nut that takes up some room in the non-drive side, so if the crank doesn't have that, you need to make up for whatever space the 11mm spacer in the drive side doesn't take up.

mnmasotto
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:16 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

by mnmasotto

Cal: I was incorrect. The bearings push up against a carbon shoulder.

Just weighted the frame today.

Frame without Bottom bracket and no headset. Plus 4 water bottle bolts = 660 grams;
Forks = 265 grams. Not bad for a frame made in 2011.
Attachments
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG
Last edited by mnmasotto on Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

alcatraz
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:19 am

by alcatraz

Great weight!

The bb will also save you weight but it's a bit more creak prone so take care installing it.

Thm would be a cool crank to use.

RyanH
Moderator
Posts: 2555
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

by RyanH

I'm curious how you find the front end when sprinting. The fork was the weak link on mine and made the front end kind of wander when sprinting.

User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 2750
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

If these start to creak, Cervelo suggest that you grease the bearing(s) before pressing them in (IF, you suffer from creaking BB).
None of the Ax frames i've had home (this is my 4th) have been "greased". But neither have them suffered from a creaking BB.
(All Vial EVO since start, has been "direct press")
In a way i wonder why Cervelo went away from "direct press". Only reason i can think of, is actually problem with precision (tolerance).
Looking at all documented stories and issues with BB and creaking, it's always tolerances.
One could think that a frameset at 10K should be able to hold these tolerances.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)


Ex bike; Vial EVO D

mnmasotto
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:16 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

by mnmasotto

Ryan: The fork is one of the reasons I went with this frame. I really liked the THM fork that came with my prior Ax-Lightness Evo Vials. They now come with a 3T product which I am not so fond of.

WheelsONfire: I think they felt the manufacturing costs of the "direct fit" were too high. The sleeved bottom bracket design tolerates looser size tolerances whereas the "direct fit" must be exact.

One important question: I am not really fond of the q factor and feal of the THM cranks. The crank arms feel too wide. I love Campagnolo cranks the best. That being said....what crank would you guys recommend which feels similar to Campagnolo UT.

Also wheels, I want something light weight, carbon, clincher'tubeless and fit well with the appearance of this frame(asthetics). I have owned many Lightweight wheelsets in the past and perfer something different.

User avatar
Drappo
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:17 pm
Location: Centumcellae

by Drappo

I use cmpy super record crankset without noise, when you install the bb you must use carbon gripper paste.
Alhoa

mnmasotto
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:16 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

by mnmasotto

Drappo wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:36 pm
I use cmpy super record crankset without noise, when you install the bb you must use carbon gripper paste.
Alhoa
What bottom bracket are you using? Overtorque cranks? I have looked all over the internet and could not find an adapter to convert BBright driect fit to Campagnolo Ultra Torque.

hambini
Posts: 462
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:13 am
Location: Bristol UK / Cologne, Germany

by hambini

Andres wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:44 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:27 am
Francois_Viviers wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:17 am
FSA 386 EVO require a specific spacer set for BBright that can be hard to find, but not impossible. the normal spacer set will just make the whole set up slightly too wide and turning crank will have some resistance. As a side note, Hambini BBright BB also does not work with 386evo cranks
First of all, the frame doesn't use, or rather, couldn't use a BB Right system as suggested.
It's just 2pcs 6806 bearings (30*42*7 bearings) you press directly into the frame.

But back to Hambini, why wouldn't his BBright work with 386evo cranks?
BBright is 79mm isn't it? BB 386 is 86.5mm... so what do i miss here?
They'll work, with the correct spacer configuration. The original 3D+ Rotor that was used on a lot of these frames is essentially a 386 crank. The rotor has the preload nut that takes up some room in the non-drive side, so if the crank doesn't have that, you need to make up for whatever space the 11mm spacer in the drive side doesn't take up.

This issue is the centreline.

My bottom brackets are designed for a spindle that is 90.5mm. True BB386 cranks are 86.5mm. So they will not go in.

Additionally, if you try and fit a BB386 (86.5mm) crank into a 79mm BBright Bottom bracket the chainline will need some adjustment as it has 45mm embedded in the non drive side of the frame.

The confusion arises because newer cranks are called "BB386" but have a much longer axle, the axle length is often 92+mm. It is in effect an extended BB30.


Hope that helps
Hambini
Last edited by hambini on Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Ex NASA, ex Lockheed - views expressed are my own...
Add me ON TWITTER!
Hambini SRAM Dub Bottom brackets Coming Soon!
Visit the Hambini Website

hambini
Posts: 462
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:13 am
Location: Bristol UK / Cologne, Germany

by hambini

grover wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:43 am
jones1991 do you have any affiliation with hambini? Perhaps add some reason to why you recommend hambini. 25% of your post count name drops Hambini which sparks an advertising flag with me.
Capture.PNG
For the record, I don't have anyone advertising on my behalf. I don't sponsor anybody and the bike shops, OEMS, bike teams all get the same terms and prices. I do not differentiate if they are Dimension Data or Joe Bloggs the paperboy.

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Ex NASA, ex Lockheed - views expressed are my own...
Add me ON TWITTER!
Hambini SRAM Dub Bottom brackets Coming Soon!
Visit the Hambini Website

User avatar
Drappo
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:17 pm
Location: Centumcellae

by Drappo

mnmasotto wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:44 pm
Drappo wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:36 pm
I use cmpy super record crankset without noise, when you install the bb you must use carbon gripper paste.
Alhoa
What bottom bracket are you using? Overtorque cranks? I have looked all over the internet and could not find an adapter to convert BBright driect fit to Campagnolo Ultra Torque.
I use campy sr 2015 ultra torque crankset with this
https://hollandbikeshop.com/it-it/campa ... bb-destra/
Alhoa

mnmasotto
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:16 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

by mnmasotto

Those cups are 46mm diameter which is for BBright press fit. These will not work with BBright direct fit which is 42mm diameter.

by Weenie


mnmasotto
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:16 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

by mnmasotto

Well, I have received some great advice from you guys and have purchased a THM SE crankset and THM Direct Fit Bottom Bracket. Will be mounting the 6806 bearings with Loctite 609. Still looking at the wheel options but leaning toward Campagnolo Bora 35 Ultra vs One.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post