Issues with Quarq DZero power meter and GXP bottom bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Greenduck

by Greenduck

Hey all...

I have a Pinarello Dogma 65.1 with a SRAM/Truvativ GXP ITA bottom bracket and a Quarq DZero power meter.

It seems there's a problem with the edge of the bottom bracket bearing cup on the drive-side is rubbing on the inside of the power meter.

According to installation instruction you shouldn't use any spacers or washers but can I install a wave washer on the drive-side to move the DS a tiny bit out and avoid further rubbing?

It's clear to see where the BB bearing cup has rubbed aganst the power meter.

This is how the BB bearing cup look. This is a new one I'm going to install.
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

You are missing the wavy washer on the DS. This is needed on all GXP installations. And you may also need spacers on the NDS but you won't know until you have torqued the crank bolt. When properly torqued if the wavy washer is not almost completely flattened then you need some spacers on the NDS. Keep adding a thin spacer, one at a time, and retorque the bolt. You will know when to stop adding spacers when the wave washer on the DS is almost completely flattened.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

osw000

by osw000

I understood that wavy washers are not needed when installing GXP on BSA BB either english or italian. I run the same BB with etap Red normal cranks without washers and apparently everything is fine.

See some controversy here: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

osw000

by osw000

Sram reference, see page 22 : https://www.sram.com/sites/default/file ... kets_0.pdf

Wavy washer only on Press fit BB'sImage

Enviado desde mi SM-J530F mediante Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I just re-read the Sram installation manual and you are right, a wavy washer is not specificed on a BSA BB. But I think it's the only way to cure the OP's issue. Plus it will provide a good preload to the BB bearings. So I can't see why it would hurt.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Installing a wave washer might save the inner surface of your DZero, but only because it’ll take over as the sacrificial friction surface. The wave washer isn’t going to shift the position of the crank...that’s not how GXP works. With GXP, the NDS bearing is the “origin” or anchor point for the crankset. The inner race is sandwiched between the step in the spindle and the NDS crankarm. The bearing is in a static position inside the external ITA BB cup, and that cup is static relative to the BB shell. The only way your system can really develop lateral play is if the NDS cartridge bearing itself develops play, which is bad.

Greenduck

by Greenduck

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:21 am
Installing a wave washer might save the inner surface of your DZero, but only because it’ll take over as the sacrificial friction surface. The wave washer isn’t going to shift the position of the crank...that’s not how GXP works. With GXP, the NDS bearing is the “origin” or anchor point for the crankset. The inner race is sandwiched between the step in the spindle and the NDS crankarm. The bearing is in a static position inside the external ITA BB cup, and that cup is static relative to the BB shell. The only way your system can really develop lateral play is if the NDS cartridge bearing itself develops play, which is bad.
Makes sense. I can't really feel any play in the old NDS bearing but forces are higher when pedalling. I will install the new BB with the wave washer.
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

jlok

by jlok

Is there any difference between GxP BB for MTB and RB?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jlok wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:24 pm
Is there any difference between GxP BB for MTB and RB?
The external cups are the same, just the MTB BB shell is 73mm instead of 68mm.

mattr

by mattr

Check the actual width of the bottom bracket shell. I've seen them up to half a mm over length. (and more than 1 mm under size!)
You might need to get it faced, just to take paint/lacquer/slither of material off.

It's not rubbing much, so it'll literally only need a tickle with the facing tool.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It might also be that the DS cup started to back out since Italian BBs aren't reverse threaded on DS...

mattr

by mattr

Yeah, that is a valid point, DS cup needs a proper bit of torque on it on ITA bottom brackets. Also, i prefer copperslip/antiseize rather than grease.
Even had to resort to a light threadlock before now on some frames with badly cut threads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com