Alloy handlebar cca. 230g ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

StanK

by StanK

I know Easton have external routing, I was referring to post above and mentioning of 3T Ernova handlebars :D

Could be some disadvantages with (too) narrow choice. Feel of less stability and "lung space", as I put it. Sensation (mostly on difficult climbs, or part of it) that your arms are too close to the body and you need to spreading them (obviously in elbows) to breathe easily. At least that is sometimes my feeling even with 42cm bar.

So, because of that I am little reluctant to go with 38cm on hoods. But, who knows. Maybe it would taken just few rides to get used to it and find out that this is better solution overall. Obviously, I would just have to tried myself. We will see.

3Pio

by 3Pio

StanK wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:56 pm
I know Easton have external routing, I was referring to post above and mentioning of 3T Ernova handlebars :D

Could be some disadvantages with (too) narrow choice. Feel of less stability and "lung space", as I put it. Sensation (mostly on difficult climbs, or part of it) that your arms are too close to the body and you need to spreading them (obviously in elbows) to breathe easily. At least that is sometimes my feeling even with 42cm bar.

So, because of that I am little reluctant to go with 38cm on hoods. But, who knows. Maybe it would taken just few rides to get used to it and find out that this is better solution overall. Obviously, I would just have to tried myself. We will see.

About width and breathing and lung space... That was teory says... I climb often difficult climbs (surrounded with mountains here), and will say 40cm is perfect for me overall and maybe first few days i have that feeling, but after just a few days no problems anymore.. But is very personal choice.. And to know best is to try :)

About my Easton.. I first order 42 cm in hoods (and 44 in drops), to match my previous bars and also having the same fears as u (that too narrow will make problem with handling, or climbing or breathing)... Handlebar arrived, but there was warranty issue from start.. So before they send me new one, i decide to go one size smaller (40hoods, 42 in drops). And much much better then before.. Also i prefer handling of narrower vs wider since compensate somehow C60 geometry better.. But also bar shape and reach/drop is very important and also very personal choice, and work all together: Width/Reach/Drop + Length of Stem. The biigest advantage to carbon bar is absorbing road noise, and weight is bonus...

So If u dont mind going alloy (ur main reason for carbon is to save weight), and still want to save some weight.. Maybe best to get some alloy bar (cheaper if u find that u dont like the shape or width), and to compensate for weight with lightweight stem (Kalloy Uno in 110mm with Ti bolts is 99gm u can see in my build thread, and it cost 20 eur )...

That way u wont spend much money, beeing able to test it (and after u are sure of width/shape to eventually upgrade later to carbon bar), and in same time to save weight trough the stem :) (and with money left for beer and coffee after the ride... :) )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com