Why bontrager handlebars have very long reach?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

So I'm looking for new bars and while the bontrager ones seem to be great regarding weight and shape, they have extremely long reach compared to other manufacturers. Why is this? Do they measure the reach the same way?

They come with 93-100mm reach which is a solid 13-30mm longer than others. Compared to most zipp bars, they are sometimes 25-30mm longer. Which is insane. I'd have to go from a 110mm stem to 80mm and that will never happen.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I agree with you
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:52 pm
I agree with you
Hahaha. To be honest I was looking for answers more like "they measure reach differently", but I guess that's what it is. :noidea:

siauragama

by siauragama

Same thing with 3T bars. Aeronova 104mm, Aerotundo 113mm etc. Is it really 3-4 cm longer than say Zipp 70?

At some point I started measuring "real" reach for the bars I have. I put rubber band around the hoods (I try to position it at the same spot of the hood every time) and measure from the center of the bar.

Some measure somewhat aruond stated reach, others dont. I have bars that have stated 70mm reach, while they are 100mm minimum.

I know this isn't a reliable or true method, but this allowed me to figure out some fit problems I was having.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

My gripe with bars is where the hoods seem to land. Longer in the drops (if that make sense) i like, but when the hoods tend to wander off (longer reach) is bad for me.
I wish there were stems with 5mm difference instead of 10mm.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

zmjones

by zmjones

i really love the bontrager's bars. i mean it is just a slightly older style. if it works for your fit and you like the shape then they are nice.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

zmjones wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:40 am
i really love the bontrager's bars. i mean it is just a slightly older style. if it works for your fit and you like the shape then they are nice.
The long reach plus sharp bend between the tops and ramps on the Bontrager bars is a source of complaint by some sprinters in my club. It means the corner digs into their wrists when they’re in the hooks.

jasperp

by jasperp

My bontrager VR-s bars have a reach of 81mm and 118mm drop (on paper). Had the same 'issue' as you. Also: very affordable, which is good if you want to give them a try (but not lightweight).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1635-02 met Tapatalk

zefs

by zefs

One thing to note is that the drops position is usually closer to you than the one at the hoods, so personally I find a longer reach handlebar better.
Add the fact that when aero you might slide more forward to the saddle it could be a better choice to have the extra reach when on the drops.

mattr

by mattr

I guess it's just a different fit concept, means you can sit more upright on the tops, while still having the same drop position.

No excuse for the actual shape though, we've had a few different bontrager bars over the years, they've all been discarded eventually.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:59 pm
My gripe with bars is where the hoods seem to land. Longer in the drops (if that make sense) i like, but when the hoods tend to wander off (longer reach) is bad for me.
I wish there were stems with 5mm difference instead of 10mm.
Depending on how pedantic you wish to get, you can find stems in 5mm or lower increments. Look for forged stems like the ones Ritchey does. Forging can often produce stems that vary slightly in dimension. I have measured a bunch of Ritchey stems I have and have found variations of up to 5mm from the stated length.

Have you ever noticed on Team Sky bikes that the stems often have wierd lengths noted on them - like 131mm or 124mm? That is an example of forged stem variability and Sky being very particular, measuring it and using it to further tune their riders' fits.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I looked at a documentary about cycling, Team Sky have Pro stems in 1mm increments.
I think that says quite alot. It tells me asking for 5mm increments is not strange at all.
It's kind of difficult finding handlebars where you actually know, from one to the next, where your shifters actually gets located with your prefered angle.
I don't know if i'm pedantic? I would rather say i don't wish to have a bar that puts shifters/ hoods, drops and drop reach to shifters uncomfortable.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:31 pm
I looked at a documentary about cycling, Team Sky have Pro stems in 1mm increments.
I think that says quite alot. It tells me asking for 5mm increments is not strange at all.
It's kind of difficult finding handlebars where you actually know, from one to the next, where your shifters actually gets located with your prefered angle.
I don't know if i'm pedantic? I would rather say i don't wish to have a bar that puts shifters/ hoods, drops and drop reach to shifters uncomfortable.
There's nothing wrong with being pedantic and particular. I certainly am about certain things. I spent an afternoon a few years back measuring the horizontal reach of every single stem I have, and I have quite a stockpile of them. Was an interesting exercise!

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

On my Trek Emonda there is a Bontrager Elite handlebar with a reach of 100mm. I'm riding the standard 90mm stem, framesize 54.

The bike feels a bit nervous at the front, i tend to oversteer. I was wondering if a 110mm stem and shorter handlebar reach could make it more stable. Anyone who can weigh in on that?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

MisterNoChain wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:13 pm
On my Trek Emonda there is a Bontrager Elite handlebar with a reach of 100mm. I'm riding the standard 90mm stem, framesize 54.

The bike feels a bit nervous at the front, i tend to oversteer. I was wondering if a 110mm stem and shorter handlebar reach could make it more stable. Anyone who can weigh in on that?
Longer stem, even 10mm is noticeable in terms of turning speed and twitchiness of the steering. I recon a 110mm will calm it right down for you if 90mm feels too quick.

Can you get a bar to compensate for 20mm of extra reach? I've had 'classic' reach bars, medium reach bars and compact bars. My favourite are Zipp SL70s, short reach, but with flare in the drops. They work very well for me and have let me experiment more with stack height. I don't think long reach bars are as flexible.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress