Too light!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Campervan

by Campervan

After a discussion with teh GF, she is not having any aero wheels after weighing her, helmet, shoes and the bike, with 1 water bottle and toolkit/spare tube etc.... 44cm cannondale supersix hi-mod.... 59kg's!
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

natiedean24

by natiedean24

What does aero wheels have to do with all-in weight?

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

I suppose fear of crosswinds.

cbrshadow

by cbrshadow

Campervan wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:42 pm
After a discussion with teh GF, she is not having any aero wheels after weighing her, helmet, shoes and the bike, with 1 water bottle and toolkit/spare tube etc.... 44cm cannondale supersix hi-mod.... 59kg's!
<Insert Humble brag> "My girlfriend is tiny!" hahaha
I imagine he's saying that because of crosswinds his girlfriend's bike will get blown all over with aero wheels.

angrylegs

by angrylegs

Bora 35s (or equivalent depth from another manufacturer) wouldn't get blown around and would accelerate nicely. Never any harm in that. Get tubulars and go for an even lighter total! :D

Karvalo

by Karvalo

cbrshadow wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:05 am
<Insert Humble brag> "My girlfriend is tiny!" hahaha
I imagine he's saying that because of crosswinds his girlfriend's bike will get blown all over with aero wheels.
Or he's worried she'll beat him on the flats as well as the hills? :P

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Fact light riders are not blown all over the road even with 50mm deep wheels. How do I know, well for two years the small light ladies if team on form have been racing on BORG50c wheels. These are not the lightest out there. It does not stop them winning. There is more to wheels than how heavy they are and deeper does mean quicker and get the right ones and you won't be blown over the road.

If you think different then the flat earth society will welcome you.

I know this is true for many other wheels too.

Jugi

by Jugi

bm0p700f wrote:Fact light riders are not blown all over the road even with 50mm deep wheels. How do I know, well for two years the small light ladies if team on form have been racing on BORG50c wheels. These are not the lightest out there. It does not stop them winning.
So you don't seem to know? If "getting blown around" would categorically prevent a rider from winning, I don't think anyone would use deeper than 35mm rims in competition.

It's a personal thing. A lot more has to do with "getting blown around" than just rider weigth and rim depth. Rider's exact weight balance, bike's steering angle and rake, handlebar's width, rider's riding skill + style + habits etc.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I’m 62kg and I use my Bora 35s in the winter. The Bora 50s go on in the summer. Two sets of wheels and problem solved.

A few years ago while riding a Shimano C50 wheelset, a sudden cross wind gust picked up my front wheel, moved it laterally by one foot, and landed without incident. But I got scared after that and decided that deep wheels and winter don’t go well together.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com