Need urgent advice on steerer tube length

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AllAboutFeel

by AllAboutFeel

Hi,
I need to replace the steerer tube + fork on my Pinarello Dogma 65.1 think 2. The fork length on all the sizes of this bike is the same. The steerer tube length differs with the size (as per the size chart of pinarello). I am getting to buy a fork with steerer tube of length175mm, which is longer than the one specified for my bike size. Can I just chop the extra length from top and be done with ? Is it even going to fit the bike in the first place ? Any issues with the geometry ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otoman

by otoman

Yes you can just chop any extra length

Check the internal diameter of the upper and lower bearings as far as if it will fit

Geometry issues would be related to trail and rake of the old fork compared to the new fork. That you’ll have to dig up on the Pinarello website or contact them.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

AJS914

by AJS914

Make sure it doesn't have a star nut or anything else permanently installed inside the steerer tube.

AllAboutFeel

by AllAboutFeel

The other option I have is to use a very steep 12-17 degree stem to raise the handlebar height. Is it advisable to use such a steep angled stem ?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I've seen steerer extenders on some frames I've been interested in buying. The seller said it works fine.

Never tried it out though...

It's like a piece of metal 28.6mm tube that fits into the fork like a compression plug.

AllAboutFeel

by AllAboutFeel

I have seen extenders too. The one I saw was quite heavy. I dont know how the bike would look with such a fitment though

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com