Thinking about upgrading: 1998 Bianchi Campione.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

That's all I have for now. Anything close up in particular?ImageImageImage
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6
2018 Specialized Tarmac Expert Sl5

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blaugrana

by blaugrana

This is of course very personal, but based purely on looks, I would leave the threaded stem. I think it just looks better on classic steel frames, as modern stems can look too beefy, and a bit out of place on them.
Also, I would stick to traditional bend bars. They look very nice on steel bikes (and on any bike, actually) and work well with campagnolo levers (including modern 11 speed ones). Not every manufacturer has them these days, but you can still find some.

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

I wouldn't be opposed to leaving the bars honestly. I have no gripe with them, I just never liked the look of threaded stems.

I could probably live with the stem like this but I know what you mean by too beefy. I'd like to see how the minimal fork would look like on this frame. But I don't think it would been too beefy compared to some of the "aero" forks. Like I've said. I think this bike is extremely well done. I would love this style on the Bianchi.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6

none

by none

thedanplasse wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:48 am
That's all I have for now. Anything close up in particular?Image
I know folks like to grind them big gears.. but try to avoid that big-big combo..

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

none wrote:
thedanplasse wrote:
That's all I have for now. Anything close up in particular?Image
I know folks like to grind them big gears.. but try to avoid that big-big combo..
Lol I know. That was my last commute from work this fall while still warm, I wanted to keep it in the large one the whole ride just to see if I could. But yeah stressing the chain pretty good I suppose.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Look565w

by Look565w

thedanplasse wrote:
That's all I have for now. Anything close up in particular?ImageImageImage
Cheers!

If possible - like the head tube, drop outs & under side of the bottom bracket ......etc. Also, maybe a closer side view of the bike, less background, more bike.

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

Will do when I get home from work.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I’m loving the 1st gen pointy ErgoPowers. Have a pair myself on an alu BH from 1996 (MY 1997)Image

Miller

by Miller

XCProMD wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:18 pm
I’m loving the 1st gen pointy ErgoPowers. Have a pair myself on an alu BH from 1996 (MY 1997)
I was always a bit meh about the 1st gen ergo shape and I'm speaking as someone who bought them as soon as I could. I had been waiting for combined brake/gear shifting to appear at an affordable price and that was realised with Veloce 8v ergo which came out in 1993 if I recall correctly. I was very pleased with them but I did feel that the design was a missed opportunity to make something more, well, ergo. The 1st gen shape looked to me like Campag had crammed the mechanism into levers that were more or less the same shape as pre-ergo brake levers.

The 2nd gen shape was a big improvement and the 3rd gen shape an improvement again.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I quite like the first gen Ergo Records. Was my first foray into shifting at the levers. The change was swift and immediate. Took no convincing of the benefits so I chuckle when I hear stories comparing adoption speeds of new technologies and that it took a long time before people (pro racers and consumers alike) to accept Ergo and/or STI shifting. To my recollection, as soon as anyone could change, they did. It was a no brainier. Very unlike some of the technologies being pushed today. I still have those very first Campy Ergo levers, 1991.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

My first ergo levers were some Ultegra STI 7 speed which I put on my otherwise Campagnolo bike. Being able to shift out of the saddle in the middle of a sprint was a game changer.

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

I started to re-do my bar/shifter setup last night. Rotated the bars forward so the drops are oriented correctly. I moved the shifters up on the bars. I haven't perfected it I feel though. They may need to go up more to feel correctly. But I'm afraid they'll stick too high up to where they feel correct for me. I haven't take any photos yet because I need to trim most of the braking/shifting cable lining as they're too long and are causing fitment problems.

I feel as if I have been given enough evidence to move on from the bianchi. Not forcefully pushed to either. I've put much thought into getting fitted and purchacing a newer better bike. I feel it's the right move. I'm also excited for change, and moving in the right direction. The bike will stick around since the wife seems to like the bike, and will probably ride that for her first season (After a proper tune up at our LBS).

I thank everyone who's chimed in. It's all greatly appreciated.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Miller wrote:
XCProMD wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:18 pm
I’m loving the 1st gen pointy ErgoPowers. Have a pair myself on an alu BH from 1996 (MY 1997)
I was always a bit meh about the 1st gen ergo shape and I'm speaking as someone who bought them as soon as I could. I had been waiting for combined brake/gear shifting to appear at an affordable price and that was realised with Veloce 8v ergo which came out in 1993 if I recall correctly. I was very pleased with them but I did feel that the design was a missed opportunity to make something more, well, ergo. The 1st gen shape looked to me like Campag had crammed the mechanism into levers that were more or less the same shape as pre-ergo brake levers.

The 2nd gen shape was a big improvement and the 3rd gen shape an improvement again.
I love them because they bring me memories of the good old days. 10, 11 and 11 s versions are increasingly better.

But yes, in 1991 they were a game changer. And it’s amazing this 1997 9s Veloce still shifts like an ace.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Right... it was my first what I would call “very nice” bike. I had had many bikes before that, most stolen... but I labored over buying that bike in 1991.
$1800CDN and I justified it by telling myself this would be the last bike I ever bought. 8sp shifting at the levers on an Italian SLX frame. Hmmm. While I’ve bought many bikes since then, fast forward to today and there truly is nothing out there that gets me thinking... I must have that. Not even close.

To the OP: I’d just leave the bike as is, set it up right for your wife and save up for something that both fits you with more modern stuff hanging from it. You’ll appreciate the Bianchi even more down the road once you realize a few more things, like how great a quill stem actually looks on a classic steel bike etc. And once you start changing things it’ll start looking more and more like something it never was or intended to be.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Miller

by Miller

XCProMD wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:32 pm
But yes, in 1991 they were a game changer. And it’s amazing this 1997 9s Veloce still shifts like an ace.
Yes, they were a game changer. So that's 9sp Veloce? I have a feeling that 9sp in 1st gen ergo shape was in the catalogue for just one season because 2nd gen ergo appeared in 1998 I think? I jumped on that as soon as possible, got a pair of Chorus 9sp levers in the new shape and adored them.

Jan Ullrich preferred the old shape and clung onto those for a season or two after 2nd gen ergo apppeared.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com