Campagnolo Zonda C17 vs Shamal C15

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

For my clinchers wheelset i use Shamal Ultra 15C version (usually im on tubs).

I use my clinchers in winter time, or when i need to go somewhere distance when there could be a problem for tubs..

Wondering what difference i'll get if i get another pair of Zonda C17 vs Shamals C15 i have.

My Shamals are 1435 gm and can see the Zonda C17 are 1550gm. So about 100 gm weight difference.. That the negative (i climb a lot, i guess i can feel this).

But what in other things? Aero, comfort (im using Continental GP4000 SII in 23 or 4Season 25)

Is it worth to get this Zonda C17? For price they look tempting and sweet wheelset...

p.s. @admins... I just saw that instead of Everything Wheels i put this subject here.. So please if u can move it to EveryThing wheels where this subject Belong..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blaugrana

by blaugrana

I went from a set of Zonda C15 to Zonda C17, both with 25mm tyres, and while I tried to feel the difference, I doubt I could tell them appart on a blind test. I can speak very highly of these wheels, they are great for the price and are hard to beat as a training and all-around wheelset, but I think if you are expecting an improvement over your older Shamals you might be disapointed.

morrisond

by morrisond

Shamals have fantastic Ceramic Bearings that spin forever - Shamals have stiffer aluminum spokes so should be more responsive for climbing.

Theoretically Zonda should ride a little better with the flexier steel spokes.

The best idea would be new 17C Shamals!

AJS914

by AJS914

2mm total - 1mm on each side is a small difference. I'm not sure how you justify a new wheelset for this reason alone.

I just switched from Eurus C15 wheels to some Farsports with an 18mm internal. With GP4000 23mm tires there wasn't a huge difference but the 18mm internal width does seem to work better with GP 25mm (actual 27mm) tires.

chorus88

by chorus88

3Pio wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:24 pm
For my clinchers wheelset i use Shamal Ultra 15C version (usually im on tubs).

I use my clinchers in winter time, or when i need to go somewhere distance when there could be a problem for tubs..

Wondering what difference i'll get if i get another pair of Zonda C17 vs Shamals C15 i have.

My Shamals are 1435 gm and can see the Zonda C17 are 1550gm. So about 100 gm weight difference.. That the negative (i climb a lot, i guess i can feel this).

But what in other things? Aero, comfort (im using Continental GP4000 SII in 23 or 4Season 25)

Is it worth to get this Zonda C17? For price they look tempting and sweet wheelset...

p.s. @admins... I just saw that instead of Everything Wheels i put this subject here.. So please if u can move it to EveryThing wheels where this subject Belong..
Stick with your Shamals C15.
Zonda C17 with GP4000s2 (25c) are okay.
Weight: 688+867=1555gm
QR: 60+64=124gm
Attachments
ZondaC17-688+867gm-50.jpg
QR-60+64gm-50.jpg
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

3Pio

by 3Pio

Thanks to everyone here that replied me...

The info i needed..

One of the reasons i started thinking for a Zonda is the fact that they are very good price. Twice cheaper then Shamals, and probably very little performnace differences if at all.. Another reason for Zonda are steel spokes, which probably is more comfortable then alloy spokes on Shamals, and easier for maintence and trueing, also cheaper spare spokes (until now on Shamals i needed one spoke in 3 years, and spoke broke during the trueing not in the ride).

And must admit that i readed a lot how big difference in comfort is because of that 2mm, and better handling...But all this seem to be just marketing..

And based on ur opinion here, seem it's not worth it to do this, and i'll stick to my Shamals C15....Also i prefer look of C15 stickers, and the weight..

Thanks again ...

AJS914

by AJS914

I don't think it's "just marketing". It's just not worth spending $400-500 to get when you already have a good wheelset.

3Pio

by 3Pio

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:23 pm
I don't think it's "just marketing". It's just not worth spending $400-500 to get when you already have a good wheelset.
Thats the problem with Zonda..Good value... 500 USD definetely not worth in this case.. Around 400-450 USD tempting :) if there is any benefit at all vs Shamals C15....

But this time i'll leave it...

flying

by flying

3Pio wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:19 pm
Thats the problem with Zonda..Good value... 500 USD definetely not worth in this case.. Around 400-450 USD tempting :) if there is any benefit at all vs Shamals C15....

Not to tempt you since I think Shamals are great & would just use those... but about price

I bought two sets of Zonda C17 about a year apart 2017 & end of 2018

Both sets were around $325 shipped From ProBikeKit

Even now they sell for $362 & often have at least 10% off deals

3Pio

by 3Pio

flying wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:05 am
3Pio wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Not to tempt you since I think Shamals are great & would just use those... but about price

I bought two sets of Zonda C17 about a year apart 2017 & end of 2018

Both sets were around $325 shipped From ProBikeKit

Even now they sell for $362 & often have at least 10% off deals

Seem that really there is no better Value then Zonda wheels.. But also will definetely continue riding my Shamals for now and not buying Zonda's....

Another negative of Shamals vs Zonda's is cross wind.. Spokes on Shamals can catch wind, while look that Zonda's spokes seem less prone to this..

peroni

by peroni

Zonda C17 are excellent wheels for the price. My set comes in at 1539 grams and I have also used them tubeless without having to fiddle with rim tape.
Great value, if you lived close by I'd let you try them.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 2014 Campagnolo SR

robertbb

by robertbb

Dude, I have Shamal C17 and Zonda C17. I don't notice the weight difference at all, and find the Zonda's are actually *faster* to spin up. Those fat spokes and nipples on the Shamals catch crosswinds badly.

I can't tell the difference in bearings whatsoever. I'm actually close to selling the Shamals - I just don't use them much anymore. Zonda's in the wet. Bora clinchers in the dry. Bora tubulars in the mountains.

3Pio

by 3Pio

peroni wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:51 am
Zonda C17 are excellent wheels for the price. My set comes in at 1539 grams and I have also used them tubeless without having to fiddle with rim tape.
Great value, if you lived close by I'd let you try them.
Thanks Peroni.. Very kind from u to let me try them.. Unfortunately im not that close to Italy even im hour flying to Treviso :)

I also have a chance to try them by friend who is working in our LBS and also nice Campagnolo dealer (www.outdoor.mk), so probably will try them....

Curious, on what bike u ride them? And have u ever had a chance to compare to Shamals (C15 or C17), and to C15 Zondas or Eurus?

robertbb wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:51 am
Dude, I have Shamal C17 and Zonda C17. I don't notice the weight difference at all, and find the Zonda's are actually *faster* to spin up. Those fat spokes and nipples on the Shamals catch crosswinds badly.

I can't tell the difference in bearings whatsoever. I'm actually close to selling the Shamals - I just don't use them much anymore. Zonda's in the wet. Bora clinchers in the dry. Bora tubulars in the mountains.
I also have a feeling that overal because of thinner and steel spokes Zonda's are actually better overal wheels than Shamals.. Maybe i also put my Shamals for selling and get Zonda's.....Especially same as u, for dry riding i use Bora 35 and Bora 50 tubs.. Shamals i use just for wet ride, bad weather and when i travel in other country's to be easier for tire replacament if needed...
Last edited by 3Pio on Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wintershade

by wintershade

robertbb wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:51 am
Agreed. I have a set of C17 Zondas and C15 Shamals. To give you how much of an idea the extra 15mm matters, the C15s came with my Canyon. I just presumed they were C17s. Didn't know the difference until I changed tires and inspected the rim carefully.

Shamals catch wind and ride worse than Boras. Granded I have about 10 wheelsets, I have no use for the Shamals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

The old Zondas look better:)