$2.2k 2018 Cervelo S3 Build Help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Hi Guys!
I crashed my caad at an early bird crit and bent its chainstays and decided to go disc and aero to replace it. I was wondering where I could save weight for the low as my build is sitting at almost 9kg at the moment.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

IchDien

by IchDien

Bars and pedals would be a good place to start - an easy <250g there. You can save some weight with skewers too and new tires with lighter innertubes when they've worn out; that would be another <200g.

Otherwise first replaced should probably be the cassette and depending on options you could save a lot on the Ultegra but about <100g with Dura Ace and more with other brands.

Other than that you're looking at big outlay as the only remaining thing is the groupset and wheels. eTap disc upgrade kits are about €1300-1400 at the moment and wheels will obviously be a lot of money too.

Cost wise thats an easy rough 500g to shave off. You can probbaly get more if you cut the seat tube and change the cable housing etc.

However, a few questions: 52/36 and 14/28 for crit racing? If you are going to be using this in crit racing the only parts you won't be in danger of absolutely destroying again are pretty much the frame if lucky and (the whole) groupset...not sure I'd be spending so much to save weight on the other parts...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AnkitS

by AnkitS

IchDien wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:37 am
Bars and pedals would be a good place to start - an easy <250g there. You can save some weight with skewers too and new tires with lighter innertubes when they've worn out; that would be another <200g.
Other than that you're looking at big outlay as the only remaining thing is the groupset and wheels.
However, a few questions: 52/36 and 14/28 for crit racing?
Thanks. I'll look into different pedals, I was thinking of upgrading to speedplays eventually so I will make the jump when my cleats wear out. Lighter axles seem like a decent weight saving, I don't like the Cervelo ones that much either. Those tires are for training, I have Corsa g+ for racing at the moment. Any suggestions for tubes? Wheels are aluminum and I hope to upgrade to carbon in the future.
About the gearing and ultegra cassette, I am a junior and have to deal with gear restrictions so 52-14 is the highest gear I can run and as far as I know there are no Dura-Ace junior cassettes.

quadzilla

by quadzilla

Early bird and a junior? U from norcal? if so u can have my 1/2 used ultegra 14-28 cassette for free. Swapped to 1x with 42 - 11-30 because neutral support wheels never have junior casettes.

IchDien

by IchDien

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:51 am

Any suggestions for tubes?
Continental Supersonic are roughly about 50g with the valve so that's a saving on what you have already; combined with using your other tyres thats about 170g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alfus

by Alfus

Why tubes?