First Titanium build. Lynskey.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Chalky

by Chalky

I've always wanted a titanium road bike. I currently ride an Sworks Tarmac. I love the geometry of it so I'm looking at the new Lynskey R480 frameset. I would like to know what people think of my choice and of Lynskey frames. I'm 43 and 6 foot 3 inches tall. Their XL frameset seems perfect for me.

Cheers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

none

by none

What are you planning to use this titanium bike for?
Mostly training and racing?
Lightweight climbing bike?
Any luggage carrying capacity needs?
Any use of fenders?

Chalky

by Chalky

Winter bike with mudgaurds and the odd ride out with my 9 year old son.
I've just realised the tyre clearance is a max of 28mm. I was hoping for a little more to May be turn it into a gravel bike one day.

AJS914

by AJS914

Get a gravel bike then. They make great winter road bikes with the right set of wheels/tires. The R480 looks uncompromisingly stiff to me.

morrisond

by morrisond

How heavy are you? If you are over 200lbs I would suggest you won't like the feel of Titanium under power - especially compared to your Sworks which is one of the stiffest frames available. I have been there and done that a few times.

The downtube on the Lynskey definiely looks big enough - but I'm not sure about the Chainstays and dropouts. The Dropouts look a little iffy and you may end up with a wishy washy rear end.

The hooded dropouts look better on the disc version - that should have a stiffer rear end.

Keep in mind that almost all the Lynskey's have that Aluminum ring as part of the headtube - IMO it looks a little wonky. They do that to keep costs down.

I would suggest that high end steel will give you better stiffness (Columbus HSS) at very comparable weight (maybe 100 grams difference in XL sizes - and the steel could be lighter - it just depends).

If you want a really stiff Ti frameset - I would consider an Wittson Illuminati - custom made for your size for not a lot more money.

They are very responsive if you want to deal direct - https://wittson.com/handmade-titanium-f ... illuminati

Otherwise Blacksmith in Toronto can help you.

morrisond

by morrisond

I missed the part about Fenders - Wittson can add that for you and build the frame with more clearance and use a fork with Fender Mounts - the Columbus Futura Gravel will take up to 40mm tires and is a faction of the price of an ENVE fork.

You could look at Curve Cycling out of Australia as well. The Curve Belgie Spirit is a great bike but may not be stiff enough for you.

In steel - something like the Fairlight Secan could be a great option - https://fairlightcycles.com/product/sec ... 8d115eb4b3 - take VAT off that price.

Reynolds 853 is fantastic steel and that bike should be quite stiff and still ride nice.

You would love Gravel bikes - especially riding with your Son as he gets older where I'm sure you'll be riding a lot more trails/paths - Nice 35-38mm tires give you the ability to goof around while waiting for your Son and do some mild off roading.

Have fun with your Decision.

markdjr

by markdjr

I ride a 58cm Tarmac and have a Lynskey Pro Cross for my gravel/rain bike. I got a large and it is just a tad smaller than my 58cm. I have been super happy with my Lynskey, I have fit 42c tires and 47c 650b both with room to spare. Currently running 32c tires for all purpose and feel fine on fast group road rides.

Chalky

by Chalky

Morrisond, thank you for your knowledge and help. Yesterday I first about curve cycling and wittson.
What are your thoughts on Enigma from Brighton?
Yes expensive but they are UK made and you can have a Saturday appointment to sit and view them.

morrisond

by morrisond

Enigma makes beautiful bikes. I believe they are made outside the UK but finished in the UK but that wouldn't concern me. The Escape looks like a great bike with 42mm Tire Clearance.

Put some 38mm Compass tires on that and you'll wonder why you ever bothered with Skinny tired bikes.

Chalky

by Chalky

I'm stuck between the Etape or Evoke?

Mudgaurds or not??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com