Widest tires on 2019 Giant Advanced SL 0?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

parleez1

by parleez1

My 2019 Giant Advanced SL 0 came with 25mm Giant tubeless tires. Wondering if anyone is running 28mm tubeless or tubeless ready tires on their SL TCR, if so what brand/tire. Not sure if there is enough room in the frame and how the Giant CF 42mm rims will handle a 28mm tubeless tire.
Thanks for the information,
Parleez1

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shotgun

by shotgun

I'm on an 2018 SL Disc, and it visually looks like my older SL (2017). I've run 28mm on the front and rear and only had some clearance problems at the front when it would occasionally rub. It would likely boil down to the rim-tire combination. I was running 28mm GP4000ii and Reylnolds Attack rims.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

northwestern

by northwestern

I have a 2016 TCR Adv SL and I'm running 28mm Vittoria Corsa tubulars.

parleez1

by parleez1

My 2019 TCR Advanced SL0 has stock Giant SLR0 carbon fiber wheels 42mm deep with Giant Gavia AC 0 tubeless tires. Just want to make sure 28mm tubeless tires will fit before I purchase new tires. Any suggestions for tubeless or tubeless ready tires? Leaning towards Hutchinson’s.
Thanks!

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I've tried the following tubeless tires:

S-Works turbo, Hutchinson fusion 5 Galactik, Schwalbe Pro One, Vittoria Corsa Speed, and Giant Gavias. I would only get the Schwalbe or Vittorias again. Hutchinson was a HUGE waste of money, they punctured too easily and didn't seal well with sealant. S-Works was good but too expensive to bother for their short lifespan. Giant was ok but felt slow.

I'd be curious to try the GP5000 Tubeless.

Keep in mind, 25mm tires may inflate to 28mm or wider. My Schwalbe Pro One's on Stans Avion Pro wheels inflated to 30mm wide at 60psi.
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

parleez1

by parleez1

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:14 pm

S-Works turbo, Hutchinson fusion 5 Galactik, Schwalbe Pro One, Vittoria Corsa Speed, and Giant Gavias. I would only get the Schwalbe or Vittorias again. Hutchinson was a HUGE waste of money, they punctured too easily and didn't seal well with sealant. S-Works was good but too expensive to bother for their short lifespan. Giant was ok but felt slow.

Keep in mind, 25mm tires may inflate to 28mm or wider. My Schwalbe Pro One's on Stans Avion Pro wheels inflated to 30mm wide at 60psi.
Thanks for your feedback on tires. Did you run tubeless or tubeless ready Hutchinson tires? What about the other brands? The Giant Gavia AC 0 tires on my TCR are tubeless. I purchased my bike in November and have only ridden it outdoors twice as the winter weather where I live is to cold, so I’ll probably ride them for a bit before making a change.
Thanks!

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

VTR1000SP2 wrote:

I have the Mavic UST 25mm tires which came mounted on my Cosmic carbon SL UST wheels. I'm pretty sure the Mavic tires are made by Huchinson. They roll fast and not a single puncture with with over 2000 miles of riding.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

parleez1

by parleez1

Noctiluxx wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:26 pm
VTR1000SP2 wrote:

I have the Mavic UST 25mm tires which came mounted on my Cosmic carbon SL UST wheels. I'm pretty sure the Mavic tires are made by Huchinson. They roll fast and not a single puncture with with over 2000 miles of riding.
Is that the Mavic Yksion Pro UST? I have read they are made by Hutchinson, wonder how they compare to Hutchinson’s Fusion 5 tires.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

parleez1 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:12 pm
Thanks for your feedback on tires. Did you run tubeless or tubeless ready Hutchinson tires? What about the other brands? The Giant Gavia AC 0 tires on my TCR are tubeless. I purchased my bike in November and have only ridden it outdoors twice as the winter weather where I live is to cold, so I’ll probably ride them for a bit before making a change.
Thanks!
The Hutchinsons I tried were Tubeless Ready and all others were either Tubeless Ready or Tubeless Only models not like Hutchinson whom offer 2 for no obvious reason other than to confuse.

Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Hexsense

by Hexsense

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:24 pm
parleez1 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:12 pm
Thanks!
The Hutchinsons I tried were Tubeless Ready and all others were either Tubeless Ready or Tubeless Only models not like Hutchinson whom offer 2 for no obvious reason other than to confuse.

From the look it's previous gen (absense of 11Storm marking) https://bikerumor.com/2018/03/09/hutchi ... ire-range/
And also the lightest thinnest of the trio Galaktik, Performance, All Season.
No wonder it's weak.

parleez1

by parleez1

Hexsende, good observation!
I’m interested in trying the newer Hutchinson Fusion 5 w/11 storm in a tubeless ready Performance tire. I’m going to ride the Giant Gavin AC0 tubeless tires that came mounted first before spending money to replace them, why not. If the result in lots of problems before they wear them I’ll consider replacing and will consider a 25mm vs a 28mm at that time.

Mort

by Mort

I have a 2018 TCR SL disc and am running 28mm Schwalbe pro 1 tubeless tires on my super wide Enve 4.5 A.R rims without any clearance issues at all. Plus, that combo runs closer to 31mm when inflated. I have a friend running the same tires on his slr0 42mm wheels and same thing, no issues. So, you’ll be fine with 28’s on there. I recommend the Schwalbe pro ones, awesome tire. Super comfortable and great rolling resistance.

parleez1

by parleez1

Mort wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:23 pm
I have a 2018 TCR SL disc and am running 28mm Schwalbe pro 1 tubeless tires on my super wide Enve 4.5 A.R rims without any clearance issues at all. Plus, that combo runs closer to 31mm when inflated. I have a friend running the same tires on his slr0 42mm wheels and same thing, no issues. So, you’ll be fine with 28’s on there. I recommend the Schwalbe pro ones, awesome tire. Super comfortable and great rolling resistance.
Mort, thanks for your reply, just what I was hoping to hear! How would you compare the ride running 28mm tires vs. 25mm? Do you feel you have more comfort? Any difference in speed? How about climbing? Are the Schwalbevpro 1 tires tubeless or tubeless ready? Do you put sealant in your tires? What brand of sealant do you use?
Thanks!

Mort

by Mort

There’s a huge difference riding on 28’s. My 2017 defy had 25’s and a lot of the roads near my house are this packed gravel, so my toes would go numb after a while from all the vibrations. The 28’s completely eliminated that. They can run at a lower pressure so riding anywhere is much more comfortable and according to strava there is no loss in my speed or climbing ability with them. The Schwalbe pro ones are called tubeless easy? Which I read is just their way of saying tubeless ready I guess. And for sealant I just use Stan’s no tubes. It’s cheap and works great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mort

by Mort

parleez1, I just posted a thread of my TCR build if you wanted to check out the 28mm tires on there. It’s under “custom Giant TCR build”.