Bontrager Aeolus Pro 5 vs Roval CL50 Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FignonsMissing8Sec

by FignonsMissing8Sec

I'm about to buy a s-works venge and I want to get a 50mm deep "budget" carbon wheels for good weather summer training and as pit wheels in races set because I will save the clx 64 for races only. I have naired down my choice to either the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 5 or Roval CL50 Disc (either one I will run tubless) does anyone have any experince with both of these wheels sets witch one would you recomend?

AnkitS

by AnkitS

I have a friend that has the CL50's and he loves 'em, can't speak for the Aeolus Pro 5 but I don't think you could go wrong with either set. I would avoid the CLX 50's as I think that ceramic bearings are snake oil. I am thinking about getting some CL 50's for race wheels at the moment but will most likely end up going with some used 404s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hey, I can’t help with the comparison but I do have a question for Aeolus 5 tubular users. There seems to be 5 “redundant?” holes in the rim bed, aside from spoke holes and the valve hole. Anyone know what that’s all about? Image
The pic above is just showing one of the 5 extra holes. The hole on the left is for access to the spoke within, but the hole on the right is for... I have no idea. They’re not drain holes since a tubular gets glued right over top of them. Just curious as I’ve never seen this before.
The only thing I can think of is final balancing... just start drilling holes till the whole thing is balanced, but that seems like kind of a weird way to go about it. I know Bora wheels are balanced with extra layup where it needs it. They used to balance them using one “special spoke”. But whatever the purpose of these holes in the Bontragers are for, I’m just being a Curious George now and need to know.
Thanks.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nickf

by nickf

Both sets of my bony tubs have extra holes. Couldn't tell you why though. 3 year's on one set with no issues.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, those holes are just used to remove bladders and stuff after the hardening process in manufacturing. Curiosity satisfied.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

I would do the CL50, same internal width as your rims so the tire contact patch and thus handling should be more similar to your CLX64s, also DT internals versus a pawl hub should be more reliable and should mean your cassette is in the same place, ie no adjustment for your RD switching wheels.