SL6 project - few questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jbass

by Jbass

Hello guys,

I am currently building a SL6 disc for next summer, the following has already been purchased:

- SL6 frameset size 54;
- complete Dura ace di2 groupset:
- S works power crank likely paired to Praxxis rings (53/39);
- Fizik arione 00 saddle;
- Roval CLX 50 wheels (Ihowever looking at other options, tubular wheels. Maybe CLX 32 tubs?);

I really like the Fizik stem and handlebar combo but I also think a matte black stem would compliment better the overall look of the bike. Any options beside the Ritchey superlogic stem? I would pref. like to keep the weight down but not looking to spend 1k on a stem/handlebar combo. Any suggestions?

I would like to keep the weight at UCI minimum.

Thanks!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Jbass wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:06 pm
Hello guys,

I am currently building a SL6 disc for next summer, the following has already been purchased:

- SL6 frameset size 54;
- complete Dura ace di2 groupset:
- S works power crank likely paired to Praxxis rings (53/39);
- Fizik arione 00 saddle;
- Roval CLX 50 wheels (Ihowever looking at other options, tubular wheels. Maybe CLX 32 tubs?);

I really like the Fizik stem and handlebar combo but I also think a matte black stem would compliment better the overall look of the bike. Any options beside the Ritchey superlogic stem? I would pref. like to keep the weight down but not looking to spend 1k on a stem/handlebar combo. Any suggestions?

I would like to keep the weight at UCI minimum.

Thanks!!
Jbass, I purchased a generic bar-stem combination part made in Shenzhen on eBay for $100, and it is functioning great on my SL6 rim model. At 110 mm / 42 cm, it weighs about 320 g. There is a long thread below discussing China - made generic combos with other experiences pro and con.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Jbass

by Jbass

Thanks mate, but I would rather invest in a proven manufacturer (though I reckon you might be entirely satisfied of your purchase 😊).

mcfarton

by mcfarton

Bontrager has their bar stem combo on sale right now. Although it only comes in -7 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jugi

by Jugi

Jbass wrote: I really like the Fizik stem and handlebar combo but I also think a matte black stem would compliment better the overall look of the bike. Any options beside the Ritchey superlogic stem? I would pref. like to keep the weight down but not looking to spend 1k on a stem/handlebar combo. Any suggestions?
Just to be clear, your frameset will be matte black as well?

If you want to respect the frame's aesthetics, hit a 110-130g stem weight and not break the bank while doing it, the Superlogic might be the only viable choice. Zipp's Sprint SL (beyond black) could be an option, but it's about 50% heavier. Easton's EC90 SL is as light as the Superlogic, but only available in 0 or 10 degrees (I think).

Is your preferred stem angle six degrees in any case? I think a 10-12 degree stem is the best match for SL6's top tube.

sennder

by sennder

There are quite a few stems available with a matte black finish (ENVE, Bontrager, etc.). Are you looking for a particular rise/drop?

scale29

by scale29

I’ve got the Fizik R1 Stem and Bars on my SL6 Disc and I reckon they loom pretty good on it!

Don’t think CLX32 is available in tubular/disc flavour, only clincher.

1llum4

by 1llum4

scale29 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:01 pm
I’ve got the Fizik R1 Stem and Bars on my SL6 Disc and I reckon they loom pretty good on it!

Don’t think CLX32 is available in tubular/disc flavour, only clincher.
Actually the CLX 32 is the only Roval disc brake wheel that is available in tubular. Part number are 30017-8002/30017-8001

scale29

by scale29

I stand corrected.

Jbass

by Jbass

Thanks guys for your input!

I would prefer a -10 deg stem 100mm, matte black. (Yes the frame is matte black). I really like the new Enve stem but I cannot justify a 180g+ stem on this bike! :noidea:

Bontrager is nice but to me it belongs on a Trek!

sparklywheels

by sparklywheels

Why shave weight on a part that adversely affects handling and feel? IME any stem under 150g is a noodle, unless weight is more important than everything else.

Jbass

by Jbass

I have raced on many stems below 150g and never had any problems. Off course, at 145-150 lbs, I might not need somerhing as stiff as the big guys!

jlok

by jlok

mcfarton wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:44 pm
Bontrager has their bar stem combo on sale right now. Although it only comes in -7 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where to get it?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

The new Ritchey alu stem design is nice and has a good stiffness to weight relation. R2 bike sell these
https://r2-bike.com/DUKE-Vorbau-MTB-318 ... -mm-112g_1

Duke is the name of the stems.

I have both the 105 and the 115mm.
Both are - 5, but it works like this.
The 105, -5 stem has same stack height as a standard -6, 110mm stem.
The 115, -5 stem has same stack height as a standard -6 120mm stem.

They look great, just screws are a bit long, but it's not a huge drawback.

To be honest, i need a -12 stem and i would buy one if they made -12 stems.
They're stiffer than Extralite.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jbass

by Jbass

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:45 pm
The new Ritchey alu stem design is nice and has a good stiffness to weight relation. R2 bike sell these
https://r2-bike.com/DUKE-Vorbau-MTB-318 ... -mm-112g_1

Duke is the name of the stems.

I have both the 105 and the 115mm.
Both are - 5, but it works like this.
The 105, -5 stem has same stack height as a standard -6, 110mm stem.
The 115, -5 stem has same stack height as a standard -6 120mm stem.

They look great, just screws are a bit long, but it's not a huge drawback.

To be honest, i need a -12 stem and i would buy one if they made -12 stems.
They're stiffer than Extralite.
Nice weight but I am not sure of how it looks. I would rather go for an all black stem.