Headset - Is this acceptable on a brand new bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1llum4

by 1llum4

Noctiluxx wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:47 pm
Take it back and ask for an S-Works version replacement for your pain and suffering :lol:
Actually that is probably what is going to happen since Specialized don't have 10r or 9r frame for warranty atleast in canada.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JDLBB

by JDLBB

1llum4 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:13 pm
Noctiluxx wrote:
Take it back and ask for an S-Works version replacement for your pain and suffering :lol:
Actually that is probably what is going to happen since Specialized don't have 10r or 9r frame for warranty atleast in canada.
In any size?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I wouldn't ask, i would just say i can't accept this!
A guy overhere bought a MTB with some strange cosmetic issue on his bike.
He took it back and the Lbs called Spesh. It ended up Spesh claim it was supposed to be like that.
But the Lbs told him they've sold bikes just like his, without those costemtic flaws.
All in all, i wonder why they have become so greedy they just don't scrap things like this.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I'm with the general consensus here, return it..... that whould bother me no end and I would try to disguise it as best as able................. which you shouldn't have to.

BB
Last edited by beanbiken on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BB

Coffee & carbon

1llum4

by 1llum4

JDLBB wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:55 pm
1llum4 wrote:
Noctiluxx wrote:
In any size?
Why would it be different because of the size ?

JDLBB

by JDLBB

1llum4 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:53 am
JDLBB wrote:
1llum4 wrote:
Noctiluxx wrote:
In any size?
he said they dont have 10r or 9r frames for warranty replacements to which I replied "in any size?" meaning they dont have any frames in any size.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

It's very worrying that this frame made it through Spesh's Quality Control.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

A high percentage of people just wouldn’t notice something like that. So it gets through QC because the chances are it’ll sell to one of these people

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think it could be one of those things easily missed until it’s built up, with a headset atop it and a shiny steel bearing surface showing through. Then it becomes a glaring gap that shouldn’t be there. I think most anyone who looked at it would notice it. But most certainly a new frame is in order, whether it affects function or not.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AnkitS

by AnkitS

OP please keep us updated about what Specialized and your LBS does.

JDLBB

by JDLBB

I havent gotten a chance to get to my LBS yet but I sent an email with photos to specialized and just got a reply. I may be reading into it a little but it at least sounds like they agree it's not ok.

"Thanks for reaching out. You're going to need to head into a Specialized Dealer of your choice and have them reach out to their retail care representative about this. Unfortunately all of our potential warranty claims must go through one of our retailers with the assistance of their warranty (retail care) representative. I totally understand your concern after reviewing your pics. I hope that this info is helpful and I wish you the best of luck with this."

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Sounds like they’re going to take care of you, which is good and how it should be. And they’re not even going to make you stand in the Win Tunnel naked for an hour as they turn it up full blast with cold air, just to test your mettle to make sure you’re telling the truth and didn’t do this while “just riding around”. Double bonus.
I couldn’t even get TIME to acknowledge a problem with a slipping seat clamp and when they finally did they just glued some sand to the poorly designed one and sent it by sea freighter to America, arriving several months or so later. But I guess they saved a buck or two in air freight, and in the process lost a whole lotta customer satisfaction.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

1llum4

by 1llum4

JDLBB wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:08 pm
1llum4 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:53 am
JDLBB wrote:
1llum4 wrote:

In any size?
he said they dont have 10r or 9r frames for warranty replacements to which I replied "in any size?" meaning they dont have any frames in any size.
You do realize you are talking about the same user ? In this case, me. And to be sure, I never said Specialized don't have any frame in any size in stock. What I am saying is that (in my experience according to the cases that I had to deal with for warranty with Specialized Canada) is that every time that a client had a manufacturing defect on a frame, Specialized Canada replaced the frame with a S-Works version because that is the only version of frame they keep in stock for warranty purpose regardless if it's a Tarmac, a Venge, a Roubaix or a Diverge. Heck, I even had one client that had a Aluminium Enduro with a manufacturing defect and they reaplced it with a carbon Enduro S-Works frame. But deal with your local Specialized dealer. Specialized must pass trough a lbs for warranty. Emailing Specialized directly won't quicken up the warranty process.

kgt

by kgt

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:32 pm
I couldn’t even get TIME to acknowledge a problem with a slipping seat clamp and when they finally did they just glued some sand to the poorly designed one and sent it by sea freighter to America, arriving several months or so later. But I guess they saved a buck or two in air freight, and in the process lost a whole lotta customer satisfaction.
That was the "lets piss off grumpy Calnago" special edition clamp by TIME
lol
Of course a headtube like that would never exit TIME's factory

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

Just take a look at my S works sl5 story
Jumpy to 35 message

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
πατα τραβα ρε

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components