Headset - Is this acceptable on a brand new bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hambini

by hambini

I would get the Time any day of the week over specialized

Can't help but think it's the local distribution that screws it up for the most part.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Kumppa wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:53 am
^ This. Never heard any other brand would upgrade every quarantee frame to higher level.
BMC

Had a good experience with them. I had a paint crack within 2 months of owning one, I went from a Road Racer to a Road Machine

The Road Machine came and rode like a dream, then headset problems happened. I must've spent $200 getting it fixed by various shops til I complained again

They eventually gave me a Team Machine. That was the first top of the line bike I road which again, rode like a dream

I don't know how they handle warranties nowadays as that was 3yrs ago, but good experience nonetheless.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Some of you may like , having '' a new frame, frameset '' under warranty
It can be manageable if you have several bikes to ride while it's gone in warranty

But I personnaly would prefer that the frame don't break , don't have any issues in the first place
right ?

Sounds logic to me ...

kgt

by kgt

It is really impressive how many people believe that upgrading a defective, low quality frame to a more expensive but equally low quality one makes for "great customer support" by the company. The way aggresive marketing replaces proper manufacturing nowadays is unbelievable.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Specialized will easily replace your frame, because you have already paid for this with your first purchase.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

audiojan

by audiojan

Definitely not acceptable. It's not a cheap beater bike so even if it wasn't a safety concern (which I think it is), I would never accept that.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

kgt

by kgt

rainerhq wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:11 am
Specialized will easily replace your frame, because you have already paid for this with your first purchase.
Exactly

hambini

by hambini

kgt wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:25 pm
rainerhq wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:11 am
Exactly
^^ This is 100% right, the cost difference between a cheapish frame and a top of the range frame to make is miniscule. The profit margin on the top of the range frame is however much bigger.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

1llum4

by 1llum4

hambini wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:56 pm
^^ This is 100% right, the cost difference between a cheapish frame and a top of the range frame to make is miniscule. The profit margin on the top of the range frame is however much bigger.
Maybe for the manufacturer but definetly not for the LBS.

hambini

by hambini

1llum4 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:18 pm
hambini wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:56 pm
Maybe for the manufacturer but definetly not for the LBS.
very true.